Looking for a solid first MTB bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Looking for a solid first MTB bike

I've been riding road bikes as a triathlete for the last few years, and finally decided to get into mountain biking. I'm looking for a solid first bike that'll last me a few years and is a budget choice as I am a student. I've pretty much been considering the Orbea MX 10 (its 650 on Jenson USA rn) and the Atroz 2 (even though it's a little sketchy given the price), but the Siskiu D7 has caught my eye as well, although it's pushing the budget. I've since realized that there are so many great choices with various pros and cons and since I don't have the knowledge or ability to compare them, I was wondering if any of you guys know of any great beginner bikes or have other suggestions from your experience.

Thanks!

jcd's best friend
    Welcome! Personally, I wouldn't recommend the Atroz 2. It's not necessarily a bad bike. The problem is that the bike has Shimano recreational tier parts on a full suspension bike. Most (if not all) full suspension bikes typically have trail tier parts. If you like Diamondback bikes, check out the Sync'r and the Mason 2. The Sync'r is a great all round performing hardtail with Shimano SLX parts and a 1x11 drivetrain. You also get a 140mm air fork too. It's an awesome bike! Best of all, it's on sale too!

Here's a link: https://www.diamondback.com/mountain...tail/syncr-d42
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I'd look for some used alloy FS bike from XC or all mountain category. Hardtail would work too in the beginning, but if you will be into technical stuff - you'll have to move to FS eventually.
    Ideally you'd need someone who has experience with MTB to filter out crappy offers and give you an advice on components etc. You definitely can do it yourself, but it will take some time to get into that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Sold entry level FS IMHO starts at about Marin Hawk Hill (27.5) or Rift Zone (29). Around $1500. That other FS you were looking at has is slightly cheaper, but has a lot of compromises in terms of old school QR fork and frame etc. Severely limits upgrading etc. nearly everything would mean new wheels.

Roll Tide
    Jan 2019
    New Stumpjumpers start at $1800

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide386 View Post
    New Stumpjumpers start at $1800
    Name:  702.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  23.2 KB

Roll Tide
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Name:  702.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  23.2 KB
    I'm a pusher.....like you haha

Cpl. Slow
    Seths bike Hacks did a video on good beginner bikes, but it's mainly about hardtails but look for something else for info on Full Suspensions.
    here is the link for his vid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K882pvG395w
    Remember The Super Monster T's ? Because I wish I Didn't.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks for all the tips! I've gone ahead to talk to my MTB friends and they seem to agree that the Ragley Big Al is a good beginning hardtail at 949 USD. Big Al Complete Bike 2019 | Ragley Bikes

Personally, I've never seen it come up in videos, guides, or reviews but I'm not sure if that's something to worry about. I've also looked around for used bikes in my area, but their either all used department store bikes or high end bikes that have only been used once or so.

Any other advice is welcome!

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sides View Post
    Thanks for all the tips! I've gone ahead to talk to my MTB friends and they seem to agree that the Ragley Big Al is a good beginning hardtail at 949 USD. Big Al Complete Bike 2019 | Ragley Bikes

Personally, I've never seen it come up in videos, guides, or reviews but I'm not sure if that's something to worry about. I've also looked around for used bikes in my area, but their either all used department store bikes or high end bikes that have only been used once or so.

That one isn't a bad find. Have you checked for any 2018 leftover models on sale? That could also save you a few bucks if by chance there are some available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Sides View Post

I am in the process of building up a Ragley Big Wig (which is the steel frame version). The frame sure seems to be fairly nice.

Ragley seems to review pretty well in the UK.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I understand where you're at - as I recently spent weeks researching options - finally bought a used 2018 Diamondback Recoil full suspension bike off Facebook Marketplace last weekend. It's not the best, but I don't need much at this point, as I have zero experience. I kind of just got tired of researching and decided to jump in. Good luck and welcome!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If you havenít bought a bike yet, here is a great deal on a Marin. Dropper, Fox 32 and GX 11 speed, plus much better brakes than your other options. For under $900.

https://www.merlincycles.com/marin-nail-trail-97-29er-mountain-bike-2016-144496.html
    Last edited by BlueWhyte; 06-02-2019 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Link

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by PinchFlatsAllDay View Post
    Seths bike Hacks did a video on good beginner bikes, but it's mainly about hardtails but look for something else for info on Full Suspensions.
    here is the link for his vid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K882pvG395w
    Saw this YouTube video just yesterday. Great information here for us newbies.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Be cool to hear back from OP and have him either say: MTB is awesome, i threw away the weird permanent endo position bike and am now full in with carbon trail bike, i got beer logo tats, scars on my shins, and i can eat awesome tasting food!
    Or, all this coffee and beer drinking isnt for me, im going back to riding in speedos, writing numbers with sharpies on my legs, road rash on my thighs, and eating boiled chicken breast.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I just bought my first MTB and went with the Marin Rift Zone 1. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I really like the bike. I live in a town know for its MTB trails and and we also have a pretty sweet skills course at one of the locations. I've spent several hours between trails and the skills course and the bike has exceeded expectations for this noob.