Looking to replace my tires...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Looking to replace my tires...

Good morning,

I've been riding the same set of Maxxis Ignitors [29x2.1'] on my Jamis Dakota 29er since I purchased it close to three years ago. Needless to say...between the decent amount of single track use and frequent pavement riding I'm well past due for a new set of tires.

I do use my bike frequently for excercising [hence the pavement riding], but I'm much more concerned to maintain a tire that is designed for moderate single track riding in South Florida.

Any suggestions for replacements? Cost is a factor; however, Christmas is coming up so it may be something to add to my list!

Lastly, I know this is an extreme noob question, but I see my current set of tires listed for roughly $35...that is PER tire not for the SET, correct?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tire preference tends to be very region specific. Its something that comes up pretty often on the regional boards. Its probably worth doing a search on the Southeast regional board, or start a new thread if something applicable hasn't already been discussed. We can tell you what I like for Northern California but that doesn't really do much for you.

And yes, cost quoted is per tire. If you aren't set on the newest coolest technology and money is tight, try checking out close-outs from Pricepoint and other retailers. Especially wire bead versions can be had for pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    MTB Raptors are a good tire for cheap, they seem to do a lot well...they're not overly heavy and they last a long time. I ride a really varied terrain, rocks & roots to silty dirt and sand, and they work good enough for all that. There are better rubbers out there, but if you look around you can find them for $10 a tire, I found them 50% off at Dick's and paid $17 for a set. Just a suggestion.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

Fat-tired Roadie
    Tires are listed per unit. (They can get really expensive!)

Good singletrack/pavement tires are somewhat of an oxymoron. There are some race-oriented tread patterns that do kind of okay at it, though. My bike has a Maxxis Crossmark on the back right now - that's a good tread for mixed use, although I think the expensive rubber compounds in that tire would get chewed pretty fast. I also found the tire a little twitchy on the front. You'll get better wear on your front tire on the road, so a combo like the Ignitor up front (if you like it) and Crossmark on the back could be a good compromise.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i live in s.fl and ride markham about 6 days a week. i found that for me the maxxis ardent in the front and maxxis crossmark in the back work the best.. also hit oleta and recently virginia key and the tires also worked very well for everything i threw at them

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Thanks!

Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses.

I definitely would like to keep my tires geared to single track use...I just mentioned that I do tend to do a lot of road riding, but I don't want a hybrid-type tire.

Quick, probably stupid question, what is the difference between a "folding" and non-folding tire? I keep reading that non-folding tires are cheaper, but at what cost to performance?

Fat-tired Roadie
    The strict definition is that a folding tire can fold and a non-folding tire can't. Non-folding tires typically have a wire bead. It's heavier than the kevlar bead in a folding tire.

In general, the model of a tire that folds is also executed with a finer casing and better (usually softer, usually but not always means a shorter wear life) rubber compound. There's no reason a wire-beaded tire couldn't also have a nice casing and rubber compound, it's just "not done" that way. I think there may be some exceptions for DH, but I'm more of a XC guy.

Along those lines, the Crossmark isn't a hybrid tire - it's a mountain bike tire. It's just designed for someone who wants a fast-rolling tire and is willing to pay a little more attention to managing traction. A lot of XC tires lately have either a ridge or closer-spaced knobs in the center to promote better rolling when the bike is upright. People report better wear life on the road due to that too. Certainly the tire hums less.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Couldn't have written a more helpful response...thank you!

I'm Slow
    If you liked the Igintors then you'll love the IRD Fire XC Pro 29er. It looks like IRD bought the rights to sale Panaracer's 29" versions. Its made the same plant as the 26" version, just different sticker on the side. I live in Mobile and we have alot of sandy trails around here too. This tires are great for loose sandy stuff. They are overkill if you have hard packed trails. I had the Igintors also, and I did notice a difference in grip when I switched to the IRD, and no lose in speed. I am happy with them.

note: 700c version is NOT the 29er version. 700c is skinny.

$40: IRD Fire XC Pro 29er Tire 29x2.1 at Price Point

Reviews:Interloc Fire XCPro 29er Tire Reviews
    26" version reviews: Panaracer Fire XC Pro Tire Reviews
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

Radbach
    Try the Maxxis Ardent if you like the Ignitor

T.W.O.
    If you like ignitor, try Tioga Psycho Genius 29er, I've been very happy with the performance. They roll well and very grippy. They are an awesome dry condition tires.

mtbr member
    As has been said above, wire bead tires are often made from stiffer rubber. That can be a negative, but not necessarily. For the kind of riding I imagine you do, the Ignitor's younger cousin, the CST Caballero Comp, might be a good choice. It's a wire bead, made by the parent company that makes Maxxis. Similar tread pattern, and dirt cheap.

mtbr member
    What are good tires for mostly rocky trails? I am afraid that the knobs on my back tire (Kenda Klaw XT, stock set on my Diamondback) are too far apart and cause me to spin out and slide off. The front tire works very well but it seems the back is mainly for mud and sand. TIA