Looking into first decent bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Looking into first decent bike

I'm not sure if this thread is in the right place, and if it is not, then I apologize. I am looking into starting to ride mountain bikes now that the weather is starting to get warmer down here in Georgia. I previously only owned wal-mart bikes, so they never really lasted that long and never fit me all that well. I have since begun my search for a decent quality used bike on Craigslist to cut my teeth on this summer. I have found a 4 year old Trek 6000 that I could pick up for $350, and I was hoping that someone on here could help me and let me know if this was a good deal or not, as I do not know the value of used bikes that well. The person selling it said that he has not ridden it in about 2 years, so a tune would more than likely be needed.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Forgot to put on here that I would mainly be doing dirt riding on the trails around my house with occasionally doing a bike path at the local parks.
    Last edited by OFace12; 02-28-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Regardless of the make, the model, the components, the age or the miles, it's only a good deal if the bike frame size and geometry are a good fit.

That said, I looked up a 2007 Trek 6000 and I wouldn't pay $350 for that bike. It would be an excellent deal brand new, but four years old and who knows how many miles under what conditions? Pass.

If the bike fits and if the seller were willing to come down to $250, I'd recommend making an offer, but YMMV.

Good luck and happy trails,

HP

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yes. Trek 6000 is a very good first bike. I own a '09 6000 and love it. Great frame and good components for and entry level bike and upgradable in the future if needed.

$350 is a fair price for an 07/08 if it is in good condition. Check it over carefully for any damage to the frame, fork, wheels, etc. You can also usually tell if a bike has a lot of miles on it by looking for wear on the cogs and chainrings. If you aren't sure about something you can take it to a bike shop and have someone look it over for you (like taking a used car to a mechanic before you buy it) and they'll let you know if everything is in good working order or things that may need to be replaced.

The most important thing is to test ride the bike and make sure it fits you. No bike is a good deal if it doesn't fit you. ... Let us know how things work out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Person finally called me back and they have already sold it.

I've been looking around online at different bike manufacturers websites and have a few that I'm going to check out at local shops. I've ridden a Specialized Hardrock before from a friend and it didn't feel like a bad bike, so I'm going to go check out the Hardrock Sport Disc at the shop next to my house.

Thanks for your responses!

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Good luck and let us know how it goes. Be confident and aggressive but also be willing to walk away if the shop isn't willing to deal.

mtbr member
    where in GA? i live in the ATL area and i am always combing through craigslist. have you thought about Novara? its REIs brand and the frames are built by Giant. what size are you looking to buy?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by G-FOURce
    where in GA? i live in the ATL area and i am always combing through craigslist. have you thought about Novara? its REIs brand and the frames are built by Giant. what size are you looking to buy?
    Northeast of Atlanta, around Gwinnett county. I've been planning on stopping by REI at Mall of GA, but didn't know that their house brand frames were made by Giant. Kind of makes me feel a little bit better about those bikes.

Anyone else have an input on the Novara brand bikes?

Looking for a 21" bike, as I'm right at 6'4''

mtbr member
    At 6'4'', I cant imagine you are a light weight. Therefor you will want a bike with a better fork then the damperless noodle of a dart1. The 28mm stanchions tubes will flex like crazy, and the lack of a damper means its performance is as bad as it gets. Keep looking around, you can find something better.

Members who have read this thread: 0