Looking to get into some trail riding, mostly in the downhill direction!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking to get into some trail riding, mostly in the downhill direction!

Hello everyone here at MTBR! I, like most others in this thread I have seen am new to the MTB scene. I just discovered some fairly new rider friendly trails only 10min from my house and I have been hiking them a lot lately. I then got the itch to actually try them on a bike so I borrowed my bosses 2008 Devinci Hektik M and went for a rip. Ohhhh man that **** was fun! So, needless to say I need a bike now!! I am 5'11 165lbs, fairly fit, but could be quite a bit fitter. I will need a bike that can pedal up as most trails where I live (Nelson, BC), there is a lot of up climb to get to the down by the looks of it. I will say that I liked the Devinci and pedalling up wasn't too terrible actually. The up was a fairly easy set of switch backs so nothing crazy. I lot of the other ups around here are your typical logging roads, etc. I will be buying used of course as I think going new right off the bat would be a little crazy. We do have a few nice shops here and one I went into the staff was super friendly and spent like 30min with me explaining the tech of newer bikes. They are low on used stock at the moment, but that should start gearing up soon. I'll also be keeping my eyes on other used bike sources so I would like a little help on what to keep my eye out for. my budget is around $1500 for just the bike, helmet and other stuff will be funded else where. So far locally I have found these:
    2007 Rockmountain Switch 1.0 PRICEDROP For Sale 2008 VP Free size Medium For Sale 2008 Santa Cruz Bullit For Sale Rocky Mountain Switch S3 For Sale
    So any advice you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    The Devinci Hectik is a heavy bike. A free ride or DH bike like those aren't going to be efficient climbers. Not impossible, but its not ideal. If you're not riding super technical terrain and plan to climb just as much as you descend, then maybe a hardtail would work better for you or a full suspension bike with less travel for versatility. Something like an All-Mountain or Enduro bike.

2010 Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 For Sale

I ride the Altitude 70 and love it. The geometry lets you climb like a goat and with 140mm of travel, you can descend most trails with very little problem.

mtbr member
    I know I won't be on super technical stuff right away, but there is a ton of highly technical stuff out here and I know it won't be long before I am giving it a go. The riding up won't be for fun, it's just going to be necessary to get to where I want to be to go down. The person selling the VP Free finally got back to me so I am going to go look at it on Monday. What should I be on the look out for while checking it out? Is the price on point or out to lunch?

mtbr member
    Well, in my opinion, thats probably not the right bike for the kind of riding you want to do. DH bikes like that are usually good when shuttling up the mountain then riding down. Honestly, I'd save your money and look in an All-Mountain or Enduro bike. Some of the top downhillers (Aaron Gwin) have gotten on podiums riding Enduro bikes. When you get a DH bike, you're pretty much relegated to just downhill riding. Its not going to be a great pedaler or the most responsive around turns, especially around switchbacks.

But, if you're still set on that bike (its not my money), then you check the frame for any cracks, check the pivots to make sure there isn't lateral movement. And of course, be sure you fit the frame.

mtbr member
    Cool bro, I appreciate you feedback very much! I guess I'll skip this one and wait for something better suited to what I want to do. I am glad I checked as I didn't want to grab something that wouldn't suit my riding needs.

mtbr member
    Should check out that Rocky Mountain Altitude I posted earlier. Its not a bad deal and its a bike that can do pretty much a little of everything, even some DH and handle some pretty gnarly terrain and it climbs well. A 140-160MM bike could tackle many types of riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I run a Hectik for my main trail/XC bike (I live in New England). It's by no means a DH bike, not even close. It's a very good all-around ride for an aggressive rider, solid and well built, one of the funnest and longest lasting frames I've owned (and I've owned quite a few) and with decent suspension bits, can be pressed into service for many types of riding. I've broken a whole lot of FSRs, etc, but haven't had to do anything to this bike except ride it hard and put it away wet for a number of years now. Very happy with it. And, it's built right in Canadia, eh?

If you're looking for a good versatile 'enduro'-ish ride, I think they're a solid choice. Will stand up to much more than the XC Rocky's mentioned about, and be a lot more fun on the tech stuff you guys have in spades out there. From your description of the riding you're looking to do, I think it would be a really good choice. Personally, I'd stay away from anything marketed as an XC bike unless you're planning on moving to a different part of the world and racing XC there.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I run a Hectik for my main trail/XC bike (I live in New England). It's by no means a DH bike, not even close. It's a very good all-around ride for an aggressive rider, solid and well built, one of the funnest and longest lasting frames I've owned (and I've owned quite a few) and with decent suspension bits, can be pressed into service for many types of riding. I've broken a whole lot of FSRs, etc, but haven't had to do anything to this bike except ride it hard and put it away wet for a number of years now. Very happy with it. And, it's built right in Canadia, eh?

If you're looking for a good versatile 'enduro'-ish ride, I think they're a solid choice. Will stand up to much more than the XC Rocky's mentioned about, and be a lot more fun on the tech stuff you guys have in spades out there. From your description of the riding you're looking to do, I think it would be a really good choice. Personally, I'd stay away from anything marketed as an XC bike unless you're planning on moving to a different part of the world and racing XC there.
    Thank you so much for your input! It's a great help trying to make decision when I don't know nearly as much as I need to.