Looking to get back into MTB- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Looking to get back into MTB

I've narrowed it down to two bikes. I have read it's hard to find things for Fuji bikes and the magnet for the disc brakes fall out rather easy.

Fuji Nevada 29 1.7

Cannondale trail 29 7

I'm going to be using it for around town (I know they are not meant for it) Also, getting back into trail riding again. I used to have a 05' DBR XTS moto. So I do have experience with MTB just been out of it since 06' when I sold that bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    They are both pretty low end bikes.. It all boils down to fit and price. You could probably save a couple hundred on bikesdirect, or get something better for the same price as an lbs.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Why those bikes? Within a price range bike are very much alike,go test some bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    'Cause, I'm going to support a lbs and those are the only two dealers that are not price gauging in my area and that is the price range I am just trying to get back into and see if I even still like it. I'm also checking on CL but, my area sucks for decent used bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well between the two, neither would really hold up to riding trails, they are more bike path and maybe light trails, but the forks are going to really be more of a nuisance than anything, and the rest of the parts are pretty low level too.. Around town use is pretty accurate for either of them. So it's up to you really.. I don't know what kind of riding you will do or what expectations you have, but personally I would spend more or buy online and get soemthing that is built to do more than look like a mtb.

mtbr member
    I"m all for supporting a LBS, but thats because I have a huge choice of who i can goto. I work down the street from a shop that sells Giant and Santa Cruz bikes. A few more blocks is the Marin store. A few more blocks is Mike's Bikes who sells Specialized. Then Sports Basement has BMC, Felt, Cannondale and Ibis. When you have a choice, then absolutely support your LBS. But, in the end, you want to get the best bang for your buck and sometimes, that means going outside of your LBS and possibly to an online store. The negative is, you don't get to test ride the bike to check for sizing.
    Last edited by Shakester; 07-23-2014 at 04:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    They are both pretty low end bikes.. It all boils down to fit and price. You could probably save a couple hundred on bikesdirect, or get something better for the same price as an lbs.

Well, How does Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Full Suspension Gravity FSX 2.0 compare to the two that I have already mentioned? I have noticed the front fork is older and only 80MM of travel from what I have found. I would really like some help in figuring this out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Why would you pick low budget fs to compare to an ht?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm on my phone so comparing models is a little time consuming, but i would be looking at something like this over either of those two, or the cheap fs bike. I dunno buy what you want, it's your money. Anything under 700 besides an eBay auction or last year's model won't have a decent fork. Don't blame me, blame sram for jacking up their prices. The dart 3s were pretty decent to start with but now suntour is the only affordable option for the bike companies to make a profit. So if I was buying anything under 700, down the road, I would also be factoring in a 200 dollar raidon from the suntour program, or an epicon off Amazon, for the most bang for your buck fork.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...antom29_x4.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Awesome, thank you for the help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have something very similar to the Moto Fantom posted above. I am quite pleased with it, and in the 400-450 price range, really hard to beat what you get unless you luck out in the used market. One of the reasons I'm pleased is that it fits me real well. You can call em, give em your inseam (measure with a book between your legs, back against a wall, book spine to floor) and shirt sleeve length and they will help you with sizing. I'm 6-1, with a 32-33 bike inseam and 34.5 inch sleeves and the 19" frame fits me real nice.

The fork apparently is a pile of crap, it has coils and no rebound damper and apparently in high-frequency chop will become a pogo stick. Replacement forks of good quality are available for $150-250 easily, which typically is the price difference on a bike with a good fork, ie the same fork. Everything else on the bike should be plenty good enough to replace only when it wears out or breaks.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Get a hardtail, you'll get more bike for the money.

Fuji Bikes - Bikes List