looking at a bianchi DISS... is $350 a good deal?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

looking at a bianchi DISS... is $350 a good deal?

I just gotta go ride the thing if it's not sold and see if it's not too big for me.

Model: Bianchi D.I.S.S. Single Speed Mountain Bike
    Frame Size: 17.5
    Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial 5
    Brakes: Avid Mechanical Disc
    Bottom Bracket: TruVativ ISIS spline, 113mm spindle
    Chain: KMC BMX, 1/2 x 3/32`
    Crankset: TruVativ Stylo, 32 teeth
    Handlebar & Stem: Easton EA50
    Headset: 1 1/8` threadless Aheadset STS
    Pedals: Wellgo SPD
    Rear Cog: 1-speed, 16 teeth
    Saddle: Viscount Cobra
    Frame Tubing Material: Easton Ultralite Aluminum
    Tires: Bontranger 26 x 2.1
    Hubs: Front: WTB SpeedDisc XC, Rear: Spot Bolt-on
    Rims: WTB SpeedMaster

Never trust a fart
    Considering Bianchi isn't making MTB's anymore, and has zero way of warrantying an MTB frame with a replacement MTB frame, I'd probably look elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Would I have any issues with buying replacement parts other than frames? I didn't really expect a warranty on a used bike...

mtbr member
    that sounds like an awesome bike, good price. so long as it fits you and it's not too beat up, go for it.

which brakes are those? I have used both Avid BB5's and BB7's and I found the 7's to be MUCH better. more powerful and easier to set up and adjust.

the other problem is that 32/16 is a pretty steep gear ratio. that's easy to fix though. single-speed cogs are cheap and easy to swap out. most people start out at 32/20 and go smaller if they find they are strong enough to climb with that and spin out too much.

I also suggest you post this in the Single Speed Forum.

SSOD
    mmik that's a fair deal if everything is in good shape and working order. I love the geometry on Bianchi's ss series. I have a MUSS rigid for training and a WUSS for racing. There's alot to be said about those frames up til 2006 when Bianchi's designer of the SS line left the company. For reference I just paid last fall 375 for my MUSS rigid with stock components, except a Truvativ 1.1 crank that had less than 100 miles on it. For the money your not going to find a better frame out there with track ends IMHO.

32:16 is not a steep gear unless your in the mountains or running 29er wheels, which if you do some research you will find people have run on these frames. The aluminum ones are a little more restricting on tire width for the bigger wheels due to the stays are thicker than the steel ones, but I have heard of people running a 29er wheelset with 2.1's. The most common transformation on this frame is a 650b conversion, which keeps the bb at a decent height and still gives you the compliance of a bigger wheel. I'd take it if it fits.

Replacement parts on this bike are going to be standard stuff, except for the rear wheel, which is most likely a bolt on and ss specific, but people do run non- dished wheelsets with qr skewers as long as you set your chaintensioner correctly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Alright that sounds cool. This guy on the SS forum says it looks more like a 38 or 40 chainring, but I can dig replacing it. I'll try talking him down a few bucks if I can. I'll take better pics of it if I get it, and if I do it'll be today I think.

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by mmik
    Would I have any issues with buying replacement parts other than frames? I didn't really expect a warranty on a used bike...

In your original post you didn't mention it was a used bike.

In that case there is no warranty any way. Its a decent deal.

I'd switch out the 16t cog for at least an 18, maybe a 20, depending on where you ride. If the brakes are BB7's the cost of the bike is even better. If they are BB5's, then they are ok.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    oh thanks

Will the brakes say bb5/7 on the levers? how can I tell without looking too excited over a potential deal; where are the markings?

SSOD
    Real easy, bb7's will have a red adjustable knob on both sides of the caliper for adjustment, bb5's will only have the red knob on one side for adjustment. But the calipers should say what they are as well. With mechanical brakes you can run any brake levers that accept cables.

Members who have read this thread: 0