Long Legs + Short Torso

Printable View

• 05-27-2020
    Mulab
    Long Legs + Short Torso
    Hi everyone,

I would like to buy a MTB full suspension. I have long legs and a short torso. I am 5'7 tall and my inseam is 34 inch long. My torso is 27 inch and arm length is 23 inch.

What do I look forward to as brand, size, and specs?
  • 05-27-2020
    Battery
    I recommend working with your local bike shops and get a fitting done to a couple models. Most bikes would work but you are better off letting a shop size you correctly.
  • 05-27-2020
    Lone Rager
    That's a little long but actually not that far from average. I'm totally average proportions and at 5.9" my cycling inseam is 34". I'll hazard that any mainstream medium size mtb would very likely work well for you. But yes, the best is to go to a good shop and have the size you.
  • 05-27-2020
    Harold
    The general rule is that with bikes, your primary sizing criteria is your torso/arm length. This determines how spread out your body is. It's also the least adjustable dimension of bike fitting. A couple cm of length is generally all you get. It's more for fine tuning than anything.

The MOST adjustable dimension is the height of the saddle, so once you size the frame to fit your torso, you put the saddle where it needs to be and voila.

Short torso/long legs are generally fairly easy to fit because of that. The one challenge that this tends to present, though, is that for people with such body dimensions, is that the saddle tends to be up high and it gives you a more forward leaned-over position. You can generally correct that with taller riser bars if it's an issue.

I'm not going to give you an exact size, either, but if I was the sales guy working when you came in, my first step would be to have you try on a medium frame to see where that puts you. Then maybe try a small, even if you look and feel good on the medium, so you have some fit differences to contrast.
  • 05-27-2020
    FatRap64
    I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum 6'2" with a 30-inch inseam.

I ended up going with an XL frame, even though I was a little leery because I had so little crotch clearance over the top tube. However, I felt much more comfortable in the saddle of the XL over the L.

I know this does the OP no good whatsoever. I was just eager to post something.
  • 05-28-2020
    eb1888
    Yep. Long torso can mean sizing up. Standover has nothing to do with fit while riding.
    And for the OP your short torso can mean looking at a Small with riser bars and the spacers placed under the stem. The stem can be the version with an up angle instead of straight.
    Most bikes currently are spec'd with a 40mm-50mm or so stem. But older or some lower level bikes may still have an 80-100mm stem. On those you can easily swap to a 35mm or so stem and this could help with your fit. Wider bars will also reduce the cockpit space and could help fine tune your fit. And dropper posts usually don't have setback, so no worries there.

You can roughly compare Small and Medium sizing between brands by looking at the Reach numbers on the geo charts.
  • 05-28-2020
    jgdblue
    Harold gives excellent advice above. I also have super long legs and a short torso, at about 5-10.5 inches tall I am between sizes a lot of times and always prefer a bit smaller bike. The benefit to this body dimension is you can generally run a really long dropper post!
  • 05-28-2020
    JoePAz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulab View Post
    Hi everyone,

I would like to buy a MTB full suspension. I have long legs and a short torso. I am 5'7 tall and my inseam is 34 inch long. My torso is 27 inch and arm length is 23 inch.

What do I look forward to as brand, size, and specs?

I am 5'7" with longer legs. I ride mostly mediums, but sometimes with modern sizing have to worry about getting enough seat post extension. I run about 35.5" from the crank arm to top of the seat. Not sure how that translates into traditional inseam. The good thing is can run a 185mm dropper on my Ibis Ripmo. I actually looked at the specs on the Large Ripmo also. I could have worked, but I feel better on the medium as it surprisingly nimble for such a long travel bike.

When it comes to stem lengths that more related to bike style vs bike size. I have stems at 80 (FS Epic), 70 (Vassago SS HT), 60mm (Ripmo). All size medium. I sit the most "upright" on my Ripmo.
  • 05-28-2020
    Lone Rager
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FatRap64 View Post
    ... 6'2" with a 30-inch inseam...

Is that a bike inseam or pants inseam? A bike inseam measured for bike fit: Stand barefoot feet flat on the floor, press a book or similar hard up against the crotch and measure from the floor to the top of the book. This usually comes out 3-4" greater than pants inseam.
  • 06-01-2020
    FatRap64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Is that a bike inseam or pants inseam? A bike inseam measured for bike fit: Stand barefoot feet flat on the floor, press a book or similar hard up against the crotch and measure from the floor to the top of the book. This usually comes out 3-4" greater than pants inseam.

Yeah, I was referring to pants.
  • 06-01-2020
    RS VR6
    With your inseam I'd try a medium first.

If you're looking at a bike with a 76 seat tube angle...the seated position (effective top tube) could actually be shorter than a bike with a slacker seat tube angle and shorter reach. A medium frame with a 76 STA and a reach of 450mm...could have a shorter seated position than a bike with a 74 STA and 420mm reach. Bikes are getting longer...but the STA's are getting steeper. The ETT's aren't really changing too much...some are actually getting shorter...and putting the rider more upright than before.