Local K2 zed, should I?

Printable View

• 05-19-2012
    ryencool
    Local K2 zed, should I?
    So I passed up on the bike I posted the other day. I went to go check it out and it just did not feel comfortable at all. So I found this nice looking used k2 zed locally. Im not sure what year it is but seems ot be in good condition and has a Judy Rock shox front suspension. I talked the guy down on price to 125$..If its comfy and Im only going to be riding on mostly flat to intermediate trails here in upstate ny. Jumping and speed arent a huge concern just fitness and fun. Ill be going to look at it and ride later this evening, is there anything I should look at with this particular bike?

" width="549">
  • 05-19-2012
    theMeat
    For that price, if it fits you well, you like it, and if it's in decent shape IMO it's a score. It may need elastomers in the fork but that's do-able for under $50
  • 05-19-2012
    ryencool
    Thanks! I have been reading for a few weeks in the beginners area and have seen a bunch of informative posts by you. So I am going to look at it as soon as he gets home tomorrow. Its about 40 minutes from me but seems like its worth it. Rarely does a decent bike pop up for this price in my area. I was just wondering if there is anything to be looking for specifically? From the research I have done this is a 2001-2002 bike, so besides elastomers anything that would make me not want to buy it?
  • 05-19-2012
    AndrwSwitch
    A bare frame costs more than $125 most of the time. With a more expensive bike, I'd tell you to watch for drivetrain wear. That can be quite expensive to fix. But it's hard to go wrong at this price - even if you have to replace all the wear parts, you'll still be doing okay. And odds are on your side...

Here's a short article on the fastest part of drivetrain wear.
    Chain Maintenance

Chains and gears wear sympathetically. If someone trashes a chain and leaves it on, shifting may still feel okay. But sooner or later the chain will break and a new chain will have really horrible performance on the existing gears, requiring you to replace a bunch of stuff. If a bike shifts well and the chain has an acceptable amount of stretch, you're good. If it shifts poorly and the chain has stretch, you won't know until you put a new chain on. If it shifts well and has a lot of stretch, again, you won't know until you put the new chain on... but it's a worrisome sign. So you might take a steel tape measure with you and see what's up.

If you squeeze the brakes and try to rock the bike fore and aft, you'll probably feel some flex. But nothing should go "clunk." For a front brake, that can be a bad headset, bad fork or bad hub. Rear brake, probably the hub. Some brakes develop a little play over time too, though.
  • 05-19-2012
    theMeat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ryencool View Post
    Thanks! I have been reading for a few weeks in the beginners area and have seen a bunch of informative posts by you. So I am going to look at it as soon as he gets home tomorrow. Its about 40 minutes from me but seems like its worth it. Rarely does a decent bike pop up for this price in my area. I was just wondering if there is anything to be looking for specifically? From the research I have done this is a 2001-2002 bike, so besides elastomers anything that would make me not want to buy it?

Aww, thanx. Think it's a solid bike. You can check it out at "Bikepedia" website, as well as pretty much any bike you may be interested in. That bike was 2001, had Shimano Deore groupo, aluminum frame, weighed around 25#, and was about $750 retail. With some maintenance and care it could/should last for many years to come.
    "Andrw" put you on to some good info as usual so consider that. + Check the frame welding for signs of cracks and to see if the wheels are centered, all gears are shifting, brakes working/rims pretty tru, etc. If you really wanna get anal about it you could measure, within a few minutes, like this Bicycle Frame/Hub Spacing , using the string method, to see if the frames straight but think if the bike seems to be in good shape, and for that price it's prolly overkill.
    Good luck, have fun and let us know how you make out.
  • 05-19-2012
    dirt farmer
    It looks pretty small. How tall are you?
  • 05-19-2012
    ryencool
    Got a txt from the guy tonight that someonw offered full price and took it out from under me. It has been for sale for over a month so this last minute snipe sucks. Im just as tall as the owner 5"11 but that doesnt matter niw. I went to a LBS and looked at new bikes and figure spending the money for a new bike has a few upsides. I just found out about bikes direct today and thinking about getting a entry lvl bike from there. The specs on the entry motobecane seems to beat the trek 2500 i was looking at when at the bike store. I have to stay under 350 so my options are severly limited. The box store bike im riding now is falling apart under me so i have to do something soon. Thanks for the quick feedback on this bike though