Lessons Learned- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lessons Learned

mtbr member

Lessons Learned

On a recent post, I mentioned I had some extra $ for accessories. I got all kinds of great input, including sage wisdom on saving it for later updates. Funny how others like to spend your money

My question - what would you give back now for a full refund that you really didn't need for MTB'ing?
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

Terrain Sculptor
    Good question!

All I have are some stems, bars and seats that "weren't quite right". It always takes me a while to dial in the cockpit on a new bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I bought a lx front der off fleabay, thinking it was dual pull. Turned out to be bottom pull only. It was only six bucks (shipped).

(insert witty remark)
    my wife. no not her. she has a prorated warranty

valleyscum
    "I heard he puts his fold-up in a really uncomfortable place. What..like the back of a Volkswagen?"

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i've given away things i don't need.....only to find i need them exactly 3 days later...

i now am i bike part hoarder....look for me on A&E one day

Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    i've given away things i don't need.....only to find i need them exactly 3 days later...

Yep. I have sets of wheels I haven't mounted in years.

But you never know when I'll need a wheel in a pinch...
    :wq

Proud Snob
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM

Yep. Just got rid of a load of 8s parts, only to randomly come across a bike a week later that would have been perfect for that crap.

Trail Junkie
    8s parts, some brand new. Now its 9s parts since im on 2x10, but much of that will still be used for my other bikes.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    I've been pretty picky and have purchased bike stuff sparingly. I think the only item I really don't use nearly as much as I thought I would was a sleeveless bike shirt. I wouldn't wear it on trails and most short to mid length rail trail / urban rides. I really don't use it nearly enough to have spent money on it.

That, and I got a cheap headlight from a department store that really sucks. I don't really ever get into situations where I need it, but I do want to get a better one for the few times I do need to see and/or be seen.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

Fat-tired Roadie
    SLX front derailleur, but only because my teammate threw in an LX front derailleur with some shifters he gave me.

I have some extra crap related to riding some of my other bikes, but for the most part I've managed to restrict my MTB purchases to things that I've been quite happy with, once I install them. I try to upgrade straight from whatever the stock part is to something I'll be happy with for the life of the component or the bike, whichever comes first. Sooner or later, I'll get a new frame and look at cutting weight. Seems silly to weight-weenie a Hardrock.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Trying not to kill myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona_CT
    That, and I got a cheap headlight from a department store that really sucks. I don't really ever get into situations where I need it, but I do want to get a better one for the few times I do need to see and/or be seen.
    Agreed, cheap headlights are completely worthless. You'll do just as good taping a $10 Home Depot flashlight to your helmet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Yep. I have sets of wheels I haven't mounted in years.

But you never know when I'll need a wheel in a pinch...
    LOL Ya some guys have the same problem with their unemployed girlfriends or wives only its in months...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe23
    Agreed, cheap headlights are completely worthless. You'll do just as good taping a $10 Home Depot flashlight to your helmet.
    Haha yup. I was thinking about zip tying a flashlight to my handlebars for the few times I need it haha.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

Members who have read this thread: 0