Kickstands don't seem very popular- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    reallllly??

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Kickstands don't seem very popular

So I'm very n00b when it comes to bikes.. been checking out pics of your bikes on these forums and a lot of them don't have kickstands. I kinda expected that this was a basic component that all cyclist would want on their bike, but pics I have seen say otherwise. is there a reason for this? just because kickstands are not usually included in the stock or are they unnecessary weight??

Ridin' Furry
    Last thing you want is a kickstand bouncing around on a bumpy trail. :3

mtbr member
    I would probably pay to see a picture of a super high-end AM bike with a kickstand. A road bike might even be better.

To answer your question, if it is indeed serious, kickstands are fine on city bikes but completely unnecessary and possibly dangerous on almost any other type of bike so you won't see many bikes (if any) on mtbr with kickstand.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyAlan View Post
    So I'm very n00b when it comes to bikes.. been checking out pics of your bikes on these forums and a lot of them don't have kickstands. I kinda expected that this was a basic component that all cyclist would want on their bike, but pics I have seen say otherwise. is there a reason for this? just because kickstands are not usually included in the stock or are they unnecessary weight??

Good observation. Kickstands are generally useless on a MTB as they just get in the way, deploy at the most inopportune moments, are unneeded weight and could possibly injure you in a crash. Just lay your bike on the non drive side or carefully lean it against something secure or one of my favorites hang it from a tree by the nose of the saddle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    A kickstand can/will come down while youre riding, causing quite a serious accident. There are plenty of trees and rocks to lean your bike against on the trail, and everyone has a wall in their garage they can lean it against when its not being used. A bike stand/rack/hook is a good alternative. Kickstands just aren't necessary, regardless of the weight it may add.

mtbr member
    Weight and they are something that hang off the bottom of the bike waiting to catch a rock or log and cause you some havoc. And if you are into the aesthetics of your bike, they just look bad too.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    ...and the expensive bikes dont come w/ pedals!

DOH! Seems that kickstands can pole vault you into oblivion on a good ride. Im sure theres aftermarket ones you can buy. Maybe @ Wallyworld.

Disclaimer:
    I know pedals are a preference thing, but so are saddles and grips. So why have those?
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ah very logical. as i said I'm a total n00b just getting into mountain biking and i have just been more used to seeing regular bikes which usually do have a kickstand. cheers for not taking the mick!

mtbr member
    ah very logical. as i said I'm a total n00b just getting into mountain biking and i have just been more used to seeing regular bikes which usually do have a kickstand. cheers for not taking the mick!
    They can bounce loose and come down at the wrong time, ie, when you're trying to make a turn at speed, leaning toward the side that the kickstand is down. The result is a pole-vault syle launch into the bushes! (don't ask me how I know this ... fortunately, it was when I was 11 or so, so I bounced).

Plus, they just aren't cool!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Koppuh Klyde View Post
    ...and the expensive bikes dont come w/ pedals!

DOH! Seems that kickstands can pole vault you into oblivion on a good ride. Im sure theres aftermarket ones you can buy. Maybe @ Wallyworld.

Disclaimer:
    I know pedals are a preference thing, but so are saddles and grips. So why have those?
    So are handlebars, drivetrain layouts, tires....

I actually leave original bars and saddles (and grips, I barely even notice them unless they twist or something) on a lot of bikes. Cannondale sometimes specs pedals. Probably dealer feedback - I bet there are a lot of people who don't care hugely about the saddles and bars, or at least don't want to change them immediately, but walk into a shop already having a couple bikes and a pedal system they've standardized on.

Sooner or later if you strip all the preference items off a bike, you're left with a bare frame.

Relevant to the topic, I had a kickstand on a commuter for a while. It was cool to be able to stop and put the kickstand down wherever I happened to be. But, it bounced around and sometimes came down by accident, and I think I found myself kicking it or something too. Ultimately I ended up taking it off. There are some "real" kick stands out there that are pretty well regarded, but they're a little expensive. Cycle tourists and randonneurs like 'em.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Welcome to the sport. For the reasons mentioned above, kickstands have come to represent a lack of knowledge and comes off as kinda dorky if you have one. Kinda similar to the plastic reflectors that come on bikes from the shop, which are seen as unnecessary parts that add weight and negatively alter the appearance of the bike. I usually find a tree branch or something somilar to hang my bike from the nose of the saddle. I never feel a need for a kickstand.

Sweep the leg!
    Also, mounting a kickstand on a better quality frame could result in damage to the frame. No, that wouldn't be covered by the extended warranty.

I lay my bike down on the ground or lean it against something. At home it leans or hangs on a hook.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    On steep downhils, if my kickstand slaps down really hard it usually helps me get some air

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoran4 View Post
    Welcome to the sport. For the reasons mentioned above, kickstands have come to represent a lack of knowledge and comes off as kinda dorky if you have one. Kinda similar to the plastic reflectors that come on bikes from the shop, which are seen as unnecessary parts that add weight and negatively alter the appearance of the bike. I usually find a tree branch or something somilar to hang my bike from the nose of the saddle. I never feel a need for a kickstand.
    I just recently helped my girlfriend buy her first MTB. Decent, entry-level hardtail with good components on it. I really had to resist my temptation to take all the reflectors off because she is using it for commuting as well and it can be a little dark in the morning in the city where she rides (or after work in the winter). She doesn't have lights. So I held my impulses in check and left them on. I still have the urge to remove them whenever we're on the trail, but I'd rather her be safe.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Former C-Dale addict
    The best setup is to mount a kickstand on your MTB facing forward (ie. sweeps forward to go up). Will make any trail ride x100% more awesome!
    Clever Signature

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You'll also see that people take the reflectors off (if the bike came with them) for their weight and tendency to break and leave shards of plastic on the trails

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I did actually see some guys on the trails a few weeks ago with kickstands on their mountain bikes. I even did a double take as I went by them.

mtbr member
    Why?

1. You are on a trail... you don't want something bouncing around on your bike.
    2. Weight... why hang a couple of useless LB off your frame?
    3. Looks... the bike industry is driven off of looks more so than people would care to admit. kickstands = kids bikes.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    They do come in handy if you're riding in a rough part of town and you can use it as a deadly weapon or to fight off crackheads

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Killer bike, man

Miami, FL
    I was there for my build and asked the tech to leave the kickstand off (and switch the front brake to the correct side, ie: the right side )

I didn't want the thing flopping around and it was ugly.

Then I built a quick tire support out of wood I had laying around:

Dan
    Trek 3500 disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danpass View Post
    I was there for my build and asked the tech to leave the kickstand off (and switch the front brake to the correct side, ie: the right side )

I didn't want the thing flopping around and it was ugly.

Then I built a quick tire support out of wood I had laying around:

People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by olijay View Post
    I would probably pay to see a picture of a super high-end AM bike with a kickstand. A road bike might even be better.

To answer your question, if it is indeed serious, kickstands are fine on city bikes but completely unnecessary and possibly dangerous on almost any other type of bike so you won't see many bikes (if any) on mtbr with kickstand.
    Would a Proceed FST with kickstand, pannier rack and the works do?

I happen to have a friend that has such

Having said that, I will have to admit it was real hard to find a kickstand that would fit his bike.

Magura

Flow like water
    Experienced riders generally do not use side stands. They don't work very well on pavement. They don't work at all anywhere else. They let your bike fall over if you have gear on it, or if the road surface is not level.

There are stands which work with a loaded touring bike, but you won't see many of those.

mtbr member
    good luck with a bike flipping on you and the kickstand flying out
    If you can't fix it with duct tape, you aren't using enough.

Utahmountainbiking.com

ForkUnion.com

Members who have read this thread: 1