Just starting out- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Just starting out

I just picked up a bike for the wife, and my son who is 4 has started riding as well. We want to do light trail and some state park kind of stuff as a family. I have bigger aspirations to do some of the local single track, faster and harder stuff. I have been reading around. I went to my lbs today and they suggest for my price range (under $1000) the Rockhopper Comp 29. I have not seen any reviews as it is a 2015 bike. I would like some feed back one way or the other.

PS. Kinda getting into this to lose some weight. Currently around 255 and 6 foot tall. I had looked at the airborne seeker as well, but being my first bike I like the idea of support from the lbs.

Thanks in advance,
    Jason

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Seeker has a good quality air fork that is light. The air part allows the sag to be set for your weight and any other weight by pumping it up.
    The RHer has a coil spring fork without a spring option to handle your current weight. It does have rebound damping through the sealed unit Suntour added for hydraulic lockout. But this fork weighs 2 pounds more than the Recon Gold on the Seeker.
    Airborne will offer customer support for adjustment questions. Youtube and this forum is an additional resource. Everything you need to learn is usually pretty easy. You still can take the bike to any shop for help if needed.
    The RHer Expert has an air fork but still a heavy one.
    The fork on the Comp can be upgraded to a Suntour Raidon air fork for $200 through the Suntour Loyalty Program. This may be a future option for when you star hitting trails.
    Test ride the bike on the grass and in and out of some ditches to see how the fork works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks for the reply. I am leaning more toward the Seeker now as I would rather not have to upgrade as much as possible.I do know I haven't seen many negative things about the Airborne bikes. I was not aware there was that much difference in the fork quality.

Thanks again!!