Just Sayin' "Hi"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Just Sayin' "Hi"

Hello All,

My name is Axel. I live in Tallahassee Florida and recently got into mountain biking. I've done it sparringly over the last 10 years or so, but now I'm ready to do it ALL the time. I've been visiting this Forum for a few days now, reading and learning all I can. Very nice place you all have here.

Anyway, I'm a father of two and in the process of buying a house, so money is tight. I know I shouldn't have, but I bought a Mongoose at a local department store. I did go looking at two of the LBS's, but they seemed to only be interested in college students(Tallahassee is home to FSU and FAMU). It just seems like if you're not a student, then noone in this damned town cares about you. Anyhow, I managed to scrape together $280 and bought a Mongoose "Blackcomb". The cheapest bike I found at the LBS was a Trek hardtail for $360. I'll list some of the specs for those who are not familiar with it...

26 Inch Full Suspension MTB
    24-speed Shimano
    RST Capa T6 Front Fork
    Mongoose 4 Bar Link Rear Suspension with Adjustable Coil(LJ400B)
    Promax 160mm Front and Rear Disc Brakes
    Shimano SIS Front Derailer
    Shimano Altus Rear Derailer
    SR Suntour Crank Set
    Shimano Rapid-Fire Shifters and V-Brakes
    Quando Front and Rear Hubs/Wheels
    WTB Speed-V Seat
    WTB Velociraptors Front/Rear 2.1(47/52)

I know these components are all bottom end stuff, but I like the frame because it will allow me to upgrade to better components as my skills and confidence improove. For a dept. store bike, this one seemed the lesser of several evils. I've own cheaper bikes....in the $99 to $180 range. Those bikes generally lasted me 2-3 years on dirt trail...nothing too hardcore. I think this bike will last at LEAST that long, especially once I begin upgrading components. I think my first upgrade will be the front fork and stronger wheels. The trail I frequent is loaded with tons of roots, so I'm kinda worried that my rims will soon bend and the front fork is kinda soft....I've bottomed out several times while going over small drops, like no more than 18 inches.

Anywho, glad to join and I'm looking forward to learning a lot for everyone here.

Ride Hard!

Axel

bi-winning
    It sounds like you did some good research before making your purchase. Houses definitely are not cheap, so it is understandable that you don't have a ton of money to spend on a bike. If you maintain it well, and take good care of it, the mongoose should give you many miles of smiles.

Double-metric mtb man
    Hey Flo and welcome aboard. I'm with rkj on this one....sounds like you did your homework, did the best you could with your current means and have an idea about the bike's limitations. Keep it at low altitude and enjoy getting out on the nicer trails.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Enjoy it.

I'd say only upgrade what really bugs you after riding it for a while. You can go mad with the upgrading bug maybe it's better just to ride the crap out of what you've got and perhaps swapping to something better down the road sometime.
    Not much for a man to ask I dare say.. the simple maturity to ensure a limitless supply of clean socks.

Freshly Fujified

Hello Flo!

Welcome to the Forums. You did the right thing buy buying from the LBS rather than a big box store. I can certainly appreciate your financial situation with the family, house, etc. You did well with your $280, so ride with pride.

Enjoy the new bike, and come back and join us again.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    You did the right thing buy buying from the LBS rather than a big box store.
    I think you need to re read the post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been riding the local trails a lot...namely Cadillac and Munson Hills. Have yet to meet any local MTBer's, but I guess that comes with time. As for the Mongoose, it's doing very well for what it is. No mechanical issues at all.

Axel

S*it Happens!
    Congrats on your new bike... Post some photos.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    Congrats on your new bike... Post some photos.
    Ask and you shall recieve lol.....

Still completely stock. I might upgrade the Front Fork and Rear Shock, but only if I can find a good deal on ebay. The bike is doing well. It's handling the local trails, even a few small drops. Roots are no problem, and it doesn't mind sprinting downhill. Uphills can get kinda rough, due to its weight (about 38lbs) and the crappy shocks. No mechanical issues so far. Above all, I'm having a great time!!!

Freshly Fujified

D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I think you need to re read the post.
    Once again a victim of my own stupidity....
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Members who have read this thread: 0