Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Just returning to cycling, need saddle recommendation, 184 pounds narrow sits bones

763 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  timmyp 
#1 ·
Well I'm just returning to riding, rebuilt my Trek 830, I plan to stick to mainly paved trails and unpaved trails nothing to extreme (full rigid ride).

My current saddle is a Vetta AT Transverse from around 1996 (146mm?) just going a few miles my sits bones are getting terrible pain, I've adjusted the saddle till I was blue in the face. Well I can improve the ride some, it's far from being pain free, thus I believe I need a new saddle.

I weigh 184 pounds (and dropping) my sits bones are about 50mm, there sore enough for me to easily measure lol. Any recommendations would be greatly recommend.

#2 ·
Saddle Rec

Specialized has a series of saddles from about $50 - 200 that come in varying widths. It may be worth your time to check out a shop carrying these saddles, check your sit width (they have a non-intrusive method) and try their saddles. About 80% of the population will fit comfortably on a 143mm seat width which roughly equates to Medium in seat widths.

Seats are the hardest things for me to recommend (I work at a LBS & yes we sell Specialized) because of the differences in everyone's physiology.

I'm also a firm believer in you get what you pay for. If you're truly worried about your butt, then get a highend saddle. My only other reference might be a WTB saddle. They seem to be a bit softer and flexier than most MTB sadlles and that may work for too.

#3 ·
mrbill11 said:
Specialized has a series of saddles from about $50 - 200 that come in varying widths. It may be worth your time to check out a shop carrying these saddles, check your sit width (they have a non-intrusive method) and try their saddles. About 80% of the population will fit comfortably on a 143mm seat width which roughly equates to Medium in seat widths.

Seats are the hardest things for me to recommend (I work at a LBS & yes we sell Specialized) because of the differences in everyone's physiology.

I'm also a firm believer in you get what you pay for. If you're truly worried about your butt, then get a highend saddle. My only other reference might be a WTB saddle. They seem to be a bit softer and flexier than most MTB sadlles and that may work for too.
^^good advice

#4 ·
skinny butt...

I've got a set of narrow seat bones as well. I run from 180-190 depending on the season and have absolutely fallen in love with the WTB Rocket V Stealth (now called SLT). I've run it on my HT as well as my squishy. It's a little pricey, but hey... I'm sorta attached to my skinny butt :D

http://www.wtb.com/products/saddles/racing/rocketv/

#5 ·
guyplaysbass said:
I've got a set of narrow seat bones as well. I run from 180-190 depending on the season and have absolutely fallen in love with the WTB Rocket V Stealth (now called SLT). I've run it on my HT as well as my squishy. It's a little pricey, but hey... I'm sorta attached to my skinny butt :D

http://www.wtb.com/products/saddles/racing/rocketv/
Thanks that looks like a really nice saddle, I just don't really have the cash to spend that much on a saddle.

I'll have to do something soon though, besides the pain in the sits area, I'm starting to get pain in my groin. I'll try to play with the adjustment a bit more till I can swing a decent saddle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.