Thread: Just read this

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

New question here. Just read this

Hey. well i was wondering if there is any online stores that sell 2003 or 2002 bikes. Every website i go to lists them, but they either don't sell them at all, or sell them at the same price as they were when they first came out. im hoping to get something on sale cause im only 14 and i don't know how u people get thousands of dollars to buy bikes. anyway, any help would be nice. thanks.
    without evil, we would never recognize good

digs bikes
    Jun 2004
    wait for the 05 bikes to come out, then hunt for deals. and between now and then, save your money... or keep checking the major online shops for sales (supergo, pricepoint, jenson, etc etc)

oh and dont use vague thread titles- i hate that

edit: check out the "where are the best deals?" forum

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

First off...

Quote Originally Posted by nybsbll24
    Hey. well i was wondering if there is any online stores that sell 2003 or 2002 bikes. Every website i go to lists them, but they either don't sell them at all, or sell them at the same price as they were when they first came out. im hoping to get something on sale cause im only 14 and i don't know how u people get thousands of dollars to buy bikes. anyway, any help would be nice. thanks.
    I agree with the first poster. Your title, which is, I suppose, trying to get people to read your post may work, but it's just a bit offensive. Try just asking next time.

In answer to your question I suggest you get some of the mtb mags. They have ads that list older model bikes at considerable savings and most of the stores have online sites. Use the phone.

In answer to your last question we can afford the bikes because unlike you a lot of us are adults and work for a living. Therefore if we live within our means and spend wisely as well as save wisely. We can then afford certain ammenities that others who aren't as frugal may not.

A suggestion to you is to mow some lawns, do odd jobs for folks, caddie at a local course. Find jobs and earn the cash. You'll end up with a bike you'll most likely be more proud of and take good care of it too.

"El Whatever"
    As Fred said... when I depended on my parents I used to have a cheap arse bike... and there's where I learned wrenching and most of my riding skills... And the last time I had enough time to wear a set of tires before changing them due to upgradeitis.

As I had no incomes, I had to learn to ride fast and light, spend wisely and surviving while miles away from home.

Now I have incomes and I got a FS (cheap though) rig and wrench it carefully and with love and passion. I ride it with all my love and each time I go over bumpy sections I thank god for Full Suspension and having got my riding abilities on a Hardtail (the suspension helps, but you still gotta choose the right line and brake on the right spot).

So as fred said... save, work and beg your parents. Start with a humble machine and as you grow up you'll learn the arts of riding and wrenching. You'll be prepared for your new machine and if your parents are supportive enough (and whose parents are not??) they will get you a better ride if they see your enthusiasm for riding.

Keep on the school and well... be good.
    Cheers!!
    Check my Site

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Check out bicycleblowout.com. They're also knows as Bicycle Bananas or something like that, in Reno, Nevada. I'm not sure exactly how their operation works but they have access to a warehouse full of older models, and depending on when you're looking, some pretty good deals. Trouble is, you're still potentially looking at bikes that cost $1000, although many are less.

But moms love good deals, and dads love making moms happy, so save up some dough, show you mom a $2000 bike that's marked down to $1200 and show her why (easier than you think: "I could get this model with this fork but it's just not as durable and safe; I'd rather invest in something that will last me a long, long time than something which will cause me to scrape my knee.*") Mom will see the great savings and you chipping in half the dough and you know how mom loves sales, she'll probably want one for herself, then you and mom go sell it to dad.

*Never say anything worse than "scrape my knee". If mom knows you might break you tibia or crack your skull or swallow your teeth while riding your $1200 bike, even though you got it for a killer price, it's no deal and she'll lock it in the closet with that BB gun your dad surprised you with on Christmas morning of 1999, and the Radio Flyer wagon you and your best friend used to ride down the hill until you turned too sharply and rolled yourselves into bloody pulp into oncoming traffic, and left a long, red scratch down the neighbor's newly restored '68 Fiat that a jar of nail polish just didn't cover up.

MD/DC/VA rider

Rofl

Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    she'll lock it in the closet with that BB gun your dad surprised you with on Christmas morning of 1999, and the Radio Flyer wagon you and your best friend used to ride down the hill until you turned too sharply and rolled yourselves into bloody pulp into oncoming traffic, and left a long, red scratch down the neighbor's newly restored '68 Fiat that a jar of nail polish just didn't cover up.
    OMFG .. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .. that is what i call hilarious!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nybsbll24

I got a 2003 Giant Iguana in a small fram for almost half price from a local dealer. It was on a small frame and it was the only size they had left, hence the price!

If you chat with your local bike shops they will tell you when the 2005 bikes are coming out and what they will be able to get from their dealers at a more reasonable price.

I too like a bargain and cannot see the point in paying too much money, after all its going to get muddy and I don't want to worry about it all the time.

And your thread......i didn't find it offensive at all, maybe I am not too sensitive!!!!

Have fun shopping, speak to lots of bike shops they are all enthusiasts too so they can come up with plenty of ideas.....................I find that the hunt almost becomes a hobby in itself!