just a quick which bike thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

just a quick which bike thread

I have $250 to spend.

my options...

new 27.5 GT outpost sport, suntour 63mm fork no lockout, tourney comps.

or

very used 1996-97 cannondale F600 comp, has the DD50 headshok, lots of deore Xt comps.
    I've heard these run for smaller frames. I'm 5'-10, 31" inseam

or

Vilano Ridge, off roadbikeoutlet, disc brakes, unknown fork, tourney comps.

I'm open to anything else under $250.00, but performance bike is not near me and they wont ship their GT model.

everything near me is flat and sandy (southern gulf coast), so lets call it weekly "trail riding", mixed with near daily paved routes/ commutes

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    The used cannondale with headshock will be almost impossible to get serviced if anything goes wrong. It's a money pit unless you know how to fix it or are willing to spend the extra money for a new fork. The other bikes are low end 7-speed bikes with junk forks that should be in the under $100 range. About the same category as a big box store bike. If you can, look for older specialized hardrocks or stumpjumpers.

At $250, there's this. Acceptable 8-speed bike with disc brakes. Free hub for wider gear ranges, and better fork with a lockout. Scratch and dent site for bikesdirect. Assembly is easy.
    BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping

For a little bit more ($300) you could get their 3" fatbike or a 29er. Don't get one of their full suspension bikes though. They're OK, but the hardtail is a much better bike.
    BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Thank you. awesome find on that dawes.

there is a nice newish HARDROCK a town over I may can get to $300. if so I'll jump on that.

Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    The used cannondale with headshock will be almost impossible to get serviced if anything goes wrong. It's a money pit unless you know how to fix it or are willing to spend the extra money for a new fork. The other bikes are low end 7-speed bikes with junk forks that should be in the under $100 range. About the same category as a big box store bike. If you can, look for older specialized hardrocks or stumpjumpers.

At $250, there's this. Acceptable 8-speed bike with disc brakes. Free hub for wider gear ranges, and better fork with a lockout. Scratch and dent site for bikesdirect. Assembly is easy.

For a little bit more ($300) you could get their 3" fatbike or a 29er. Don't get one of their full suspension bikes though. They're OK, but the hardtail is a much better bike.