just bought my new bike- Mtbr.com

Feb 2006

just bought my new bike

i just bought a new bike, a cannondale f300, its my first bike and im having trouble determining if the bike is the correct fit. the top tube has 3" to 4" inches of clearing from my seem, i thought that was right, when i'[m in the saddle my leg isn't quite fully extended at the bottom of my stride, i think thats right, and if i was stretched out farther than i am i think i would be too stretched out. the main thing that im concerned with is that the bike, primarily the frame, just LOOKS small. the bike is a medium im about 6'0" tall but but not lanky or anything. again it feels okay,thanks for but for some reason it seems small to me. now i don't know if i'm being overanxious or too particular but any response would be helfpul. thanks for the help.

There's no app for this.

thoughts

when you buy a bike, FIT is the most important thing. The shop that sells it is supposed to fit you, it's part of their job. Obviously they didn't.

You want the cockpit to feel just right, and t you it feels small. Without seeing you on the bike, the medium is perhaps OK, but maybe not. Inseam and torso length pay a large part in the fit.

At 5'11" I need a 24" TT, your stats are here:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/geo-5x.html

at 23+ inches for the TT, you are close. "Close" counts in horsehoes and hand grenades, but not bike fit. Getcher @$$ back to the shop and make them earn their $.

Just my .02, Jim

Feb 2006
    thanks jim, do you think i'll have problems exchanging the bike even if its been ridden?

There's no app for this.

I don'/t know your shop

but your (polite, but firm) stance should be: "I want you to fit this bike correctly for me. It doesn't feel right, it feels too small" "?what can you do to help me? "you might need to fit me better"

They can, depending on your body parts, offer a layback seat post and maybe a longer stem. It should cost nothing if the swap is like-for-like parts. Get the best fitter in the shop, not some poor kid that just started.

If the bike is too small, then you have every right to at least ask them to step up and get you on a larger frame. That said, the LG 300F has a 24+ TT, and that's pretty big. I'm guessing here, but you might be OK on the one you have. Especially if you have long legs and a short torso?

funny punctuation on my posts = 1 failing keyboard, sorry.

Best of luck, Jim

Feb 2006
    i went back to the shop with my bike to ride a larger bike and got somebody out there with me that i thought knew what they were talking about. they actually had to build up a large frame so i could try the larger size bike in the parking lot. once i got on the larger bike it felt way to big. anyway, im keeping the medium and i think its the right size. i just needed to at least ride the large bike just to make sure i was were i needed to be.

Members who have read this thread: 0