Thread: Jersey fit

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Jersey fit

I am currently wearing under armor whenever I ride, but want to get a jersey. is it worth it to get a cycling jersey and how should they fit. (tight loose or in between)

\m/{-_-}\m/
    The fit just depends on the cut of the jersey but I like tight fitting jerseys (road style) because they don't catch on branches and trees and things when you're in tight places.

I found that the best way to tell if one is too big is by looking at the area around where your armpits are and around the neck/collar. One that is too big may seem ok in the chest/stomach/arms but it will have a lot of loose fabric in the armpits and neck.

Probably drunk right now

Basically 3 types of fit...

Quote Originally Posted by ductape98
    I am currently wearing under armor whenever I ride, but want to get a jersey. is it worth it to get a cycling jersey and how should they fit. (tight loose or in between)
    Race cut
    Normal cut
    Casual cut

Race cut fits very tight.
    A normal cut fits somewhat looser but still snug
    A casual cut fits more like a t-shirt

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It's all in your preference and riding style. I prefer a normal cut. I never ride where the trail is so small that my clothing would catch on anything more than a branch or two. Plus, I hate it when all I am wearing is form fitting. Ugh. I also never wearing race-fit shorts. I need baggy shorts to ride.

Most jerseys should have a sizing guide. Measure your chest right under your armpits to get your size.

That being said, I like stuff from Fox. Just picked up a Fox Live Wire jersey. It doesn't have gaudy advertisements, is relatively cheap, and fits perfectly (I have about a 37" chest....I'm a smaller guy and their medium size is great).

It's all what you prefer, really. Try different jerseys and see what you'd like most.

Hm... semi hi-jack. I know some people who wear something like an UnderArmour shirt underneath their jersey. Anyone else do this? I have considered it as my jersey isn't form fitting, so I figured that a compression-type baselayer would absorb the sweat and wick it away quicker than a jersey alone (because the jersey I wear isn't form-fitting). Any thoughts?
    2006 Giant Pistol 1 - Full XT Drivetrain

Members who have read this thread: 0