Jamis Durango 2 vs Felt Q620- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Jamis Durango 2 vs Felt Q620

Well, I am almost ready to purchase my bike. I have narrowed it down to two. The Jamis Durango 2 or the Felt Q620. I love the way both bikes feel and both have hydraulic disc brakes (something I know I want).

I can't determine a big difference between the two other than front derailleurs and shifters. The Felt is 200 cheaper but I am leaning towards the Jamis because that is what my local shop (1 mile away) vs another shop (25 miles away) carriers.

Any suggestions or experiences to share? I included links to the bikes below. If someone knows which fork is better (I know that is subjective) that would help too.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...ngo2_spec.html

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2010...ries/Q620.aspx

mtbr member
    Like you've noticed already, the Jamis does have a few better components. You would probably end up switching out the fork in the future on either one so the fork isn't a determining factor in my opinion. For $200 more, the Felt is a better buy. Those upgrades on the Jamis aren't enough to justify the difference. Again, only my opinion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The Felt is a great bang for the buck. Not worth the $200 for the more expensive Jamis IMO. For example, if you compare the same-priced Felt with the same-priced Jamis (Durango 1), the Felt is a much better bike across the board.

Not sure about the forks, but I think the Omega TnL is a better fork. (There's not much info about it on the Net though.) As stated above though, both forks are entry level and will be replaced.

Other than that, I'd go based on fit and feel. And, of course, it is YOUR $200 to decide if you want to spend on the Jamis.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the replies! If I get the Jamis it will be based on shop location. I am new and it would be nice to be able to bring it in to where I bought it so close. If for some reason they do not have the Jamis in when I go to buy our my budget shrinks I will go with the Felt. Main thing I gained out of this post is that others agree they both are comparable minus the price tag. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So my budget seems to be every increasing... As it increases the thought of a 29er crossed my mind. I have rode the 29er (around the parking lot) and a 26er. I like them both. I am a little short 5'9 29 inseam and the 29er felt "big." I have read a ton of stuff on them and I understand the physics. It seems everyone swears by them and love them so much more than their 26ers. I just wonder does that make a 26er kinda moving towards obsolete? Really it boils down to I am waiting my tax return to come and as I wait I read more and so on. I really just want to ride a bike. In the mean time figured I would ask for more opinions for those that wish to help. Oh by the way my cap budget has nudged to 1k... but not a penny more. I am going to 200 dollar increment my self into the poor house.

mtbr member
    With a budget of $1k, take a look at the Sette Ace.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/187...onarch-2.1.htm

Professional Speed Bump
    Felt bikes are some of the best in the world.

There's also the cool factor and rarity.

Jamis...I don't know anything about.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    That felt looks better also!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've had my 2010 Felt Q620 for a few weeks now and absolutely love it! I am a beginner when it comes to the woods also. Used to be a roadie. Anyway, the bike handles fantastic. I have no buyers remorse what so ever with this bike. My advice is go with the felt, save the extra cash towards all those accessories you will be getting. The bikes in your price range are entry level. More than likely in a few years you will either get a new bike, or start replacing components. So slightly better components on the Durango does not warrant the 200 bucks.

As far as the 29er goes, and this is simply just my opinion. I'll be the first to admit I could be wrong, but for a beginner I think a 26er is better as you will have more control and feel more under control giving you more confidence. At least that is how it is for me. I have a Scott Sportster also which is more of a hybrid but it does have 29 inch wheels on it. I feel so much more in control with the 26er and it just instills confidence on the trails.

Best of luck to you, either way you will love your new ride!

" width="549">

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks! I am just in count down mode to be honest. I really appreciate all the feedback. I can't wait to go riding. I have a hybrid Diamondback now that I have been taking out at my local trail's beginner stuff and I can't wait to do the next level. Its amazing how addictive this sport is and how much reward you get. Thanks again for the post. I will have to take a pic of whatever I end up with and post it.

Professional Speed Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportster2009
    That is a beautiful bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks captain! It looks even better muddy!

Members who have read this thread: 0