jackets - cold weather - what do you wear for a mtn biking jacket????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

jackets - cold weather - what do you wear for a mtn biking jacket????

Would a soft shell jacket be adequate for winter trail riding? What do you wear for riding? Do you spend alot of $$$ on mtn clothing???

mtbr member
    Have never ridden in Michigan but here in The Pacific NW I dress in layers to keep warm. Staying dry is impossible, so anything you can do to keep from sweating too much on the climbs will help you from freezing on the downhills.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I just wear a waterproff jacket for this time of the year and when it gets a little colder I'll toss on the pants that came with it. It works fine for me here in ky. When it gets cold I usually hit the basketball court.

mtbr member
    I ride through the winter in Minnesota. Layers are good. Most of us wear some version of a GoreTex windstopper fleece. Windstopper for bottoms, too. I like the biking-specific ones as they tend to fit a better when you're on the bike---not so many exposed areas.

mtbr member
    I'm from the pacific NW too and I ride with a Burley cycling jacket to break the wind and keep most of the rain out. I use a skull cap under my helmet to warm my ears and some long riding pants to warm the legs. If it's x-tra cold, I switch the skull cap for a thin, cycling specific ski mask, and add some arm warmers underneath the jacket. Long finger gloves in both cases, with an x-tra pair of dry gloves in my pack for the x-tra wet days.

It's expensive if you go and get it all in one day but that's not how I've acquired my stuff. I suggest starting with a jacket and then adding the other bits as budget allows and/or weather dictates.

Sep 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! man

i dig you guys riding in that weather,makes me appreciate my own a bit more,today its 10am and the suns out,no wind,no clouds,and gettin to about 24deg cel,perfect riding weather,but lack of places to ride,aarrgghhh just wanted to say good on you guys,keep it up.and have fun, stay warm

Oct 2007
    24deg cel is good riding weather? damnnn thats hot as hell..I love it in the fall when its about 7deg cel and its chilly at first but once you get riding its the perfect feeling.

Sep 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! yeah

24 deg is nice here man,not much humidity,its that or 30-36,rainin 1 min then sunny the next,4 seasons in one day here,its not a saying its fact,lol. havin said that i do prefer in winter when its 8-15deg,can go much longer,on bike and in the sac with the biatch for that matter ,anyways well done for riding even tho the weather is poo for you,i just couldnt imagine riding rugged up as you have to,got any pics of yourself all kitted up????ill show ya mine if you show me yours,

Sep 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

tripple,good 1............
    Last edited by kona4lyf; 10-20-2007 at 03:53 AM. Reason: ..

Sep 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

deleted
    Last edited by kona4lyf; 10-20-2007 at 03:54 AM. Reason: ...

mtbr member
    i've been wearing a columbia thunderscout rain jacket with a medium weight fleece jacket underneath, i'm plenty warm down to about 20 degrees or so.

weirdo
    Looks like a lot of recomendations for different jackets/pants, so I won`t try to butt into that. I had to write in though because I just bought a couple new pieces of cold weather gear that I`m really excited about. I picked up both for commuting but they`d work just fine for mtb. First, a fairly thin polyester baclava (about $15 at REI but I don`t remember what brand and it`s locked up at the moment). I had been thinking about shelling out the dough to try one but was worried about it getting soggy from my breath, getting full of frozen snot, etc. As it turns out, it`s quite comfortable, fits nicely by itself or under my watch cap, and helps a lot to keep my face warm. This particular one has a single big hole that I can either stretch down under my chin, leave up under my nose, or cover my nose depending on the conditions. The other new item is a pair of "frog" goggles from the motorcycle section (subsection of the automotive dept) at Wallyworld. $10, I think. They have a relatively thin elastic band and separate eye pieces (think swim team) with weather stripping around the edges. They don`t fog up when I stop like my clear glasses and they block all the wind to a good sized area. I`m thinking I might even try using them to hold a little patch of flannel over my nose when it starts getting super cold.
    Recalculating....

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I have a long-sleeved underarmour type spandex top. I often wear that, plus a t-shirt or wife-beater and cycling jersey. Keeps me warm through the colder parts of November...

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Down to about -10C two jackets work, I wear MEC running jackets, inner a medium, outer large.

The have a light wind proof front and a streacthy almost lycra back very breathable.

I stay away from the wind shell and pit vents, I sweat way too much in those.

After a lot of experiments I went with the shimano winter boot, good to -20 C, and is okay to plus 10 C.

Below about -3 C I go to mitts.

mtbr member
    My favorite is a lowe alpine windstopper front, plain fleece back. + 1 for the thin balaclava. Wind stopper gloves. And cotton balls in my ears. Below 25F I use chem. hand warmers in my shoes.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Rollin' on 29s!
    I like the under armour cold gear stuff, plus any sort of regular jacket that has a zipper, and preferably also zippers under the arms for ventilation. Ventilation is key so as to not get too hot, and let the sweat and stuff breath. For my head I use an under armor skull cap that can got just around the neck, or be pulled over the head, and also pulled over the mouth nose. See, adjustability is key.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    some days it gets down to about 70 F here... i put on a long sleeve shirt, i dont think i should tough cuz its hot as hell... mad props for riding the weather where i am curled up with hot cocoa

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    People are so different and where in Michigan? The tropical south that winter means 20-40F on al but 3 days and the world shuts down when it snows or temps get near 20? Or the northern UP where 30 in feb/mar is time to break out the sun block? Are you warm blooded, my wife and I never dress the same once it dips below 65.

Your key would be a wind resistant outer layer and layer apropriately below that. Just like you would x-country skiing, snow shoeing, etc. That way you can add or subtract layers as temps change some.

If you don't already frequent it check out MMBA.org lots of good Michigan based mountiian biking info.

some cold weather threads
    http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?t=68982
    http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?t=67707

Like catnip for people
    I really loved my Northface Summit Jacket... I say loved because I lost it. (Sad day! )
    Windstopper material so it keeps out the windchill, goretex membrane so it breathes and keeps me 100% dry in heavy downpours...

In dog years, I'm dead.
    I just wear a couple light layers. I generate my own heat when I ride, so most important is to protect exposed skin. Second importance is temperature regulation, so my layers have zippers & vents. When I'm climbing, the vents are all open to release the heat & moisture. When descending, the vents are closed to protect from chill. I don't wear anything waterproof, because I'm more concerned about letting moisture out than getting in - but then again I don't ride when it's raining or snowing. I tried Gore-Tex back in my roadie days, but it didn't release enough moisture.

This is generally the wrong time of year to buy winter clothes cheap. You can find some deep discounts of last years stock, but style & size selection is pretty limited. Starting in Feb or March, you will find a plethora of bargains at most LBS's & on the net.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Although expensive, Merrell makes a Men's Universal jacket that is thin and light but super warm and completely waterproof. It's virtually stain-proof too. Awesome!
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

bi-winning
    I wear a Misty Mountain jacket. It is made for cycling. It has a waterproof nylon shell and a mesh liner. there are zippered vents under the arms, a nice vent on the back, and a high collar.

I really like it. Good for a wide range of temperatures when combined with the appropriate base layer.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

The guy with 5 kids
    Western NC, worst it gets is 20-30 F range, 2 base layers, one long sleeve, one short, and a Pearl Izumi Vagabond Jacket and good to go.

dave

Members who have read this thread: 0