I've noticed my frame makes a......- Mtbr.com
    flying fatass

I've noticed my frame makes a......

....loud creak whenever i go through the rear travel quickly. Just before its about to bottom out is usually when it makes the noise....I've checked for cracks, but there are none, so its nothing like that....its not the chain hitting (i have a tube around my chainstay) as its not always on impacts, sometimes it does it if i just land "heavy" (using the suspension to soak up more the impact than my arms and legs) or when im about to go on an uphill and i hit the transition at the bottom....

So far it seems that its nothing threatening the structual integrity, the bike still rides solid and, like i said, there arent any cracks....ive also checked all the pivots and their nice and tight....all except the bottom (main) pivot as i dont have the right size crank puller, so i cant remove the right arm and access it. So that may be the culprit. Even if the problem is only asthetic, id like to find out whats making it.

pic of pivot:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've noticed my frame makes a......-bike-pivot.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    Should your balls sit in front of the saddle or on the saddle? Im a bit confused.

meow meow
    hmmm, i have a parker and although i have not had this problem it sound like you have narrowed it down to the right pivot. after all that gets the most stress in the mp3 design.

No good in rock gardens..
    It really doesn't take much to start annoying creaks on MTB's - I myself cannot stand creaks, squeaks etc.

A dry or worn bearing, some fine silt that's been washed into a pivot or bearing, the bottom bracket and even the seat and seatpost are classic places for creaks to manifest.

Unfortunately, it can often be a process of elimination whereby you just have to start pulling bits off, cleaning and lubing and reassembling and testing.

Maybe you have a heavy friend who can try and flex the suspension etc while you crouch down and try and pinpoint the source of the noise?
    Less isn't MOAR

I think I need to Upgrade
    Definately check that main pivot as soon as possible.

Just because you don't see a crack doesn't mean that you don't have a crack somewhere,it just means that it hasen't surfaced yet.

Other things that you should check are seat rails, seat post, seat post clamp, the actual pivot bearings (this equires some dissasembly how smooth are they? any slop in them?), try putting a drop of lube on all of the cable ends that contact the frame. Something that you should also check is your rear shock, let most or all of the air out of it and see it it still makes the noise, you could also take it off and cycle the suspension to check for noise.

Good Luck! Tracking creaks and noises is always SO much fun!

meow meow
    also i just remembered that older jamis's had a problem with the rear triangle, this may not be a problem on the xlt's (i think it was mostly early parkers) but i would still take a look.

flying fatass
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Definately check that main pivot as soon as possible.

Just because you don't see a crack doesn't mean that you don't have a crack somewhere,it just means that it hasen't surfaced yet.

Other things that you should check are seat rails, seat post, seat post clamp, the actual pivot bearings (this equires some dissasembly how smooth are they? any slop in them?), try putting a drop of lube on all of the cable ends that contact the frame. Something that you should also check is your rear shock, let most or all of the air out of it and see it it still makes the noise, you could also take it off and cycle the suspension to check for noise.

Good Luck! Tracking creaks and noises is always SO much fun!
    Its not the seat, as i would out of the seat several times when this happened.....no slop either....it could be sand, but its not a bunch of small creaks, but just one big ping....I would do the air test, but i dont have a shock pump. I can get ahold of someone with one, so ill get to that soon.

Im really hoping its nothing wrong with the bearing, but i do have the frame under warrenty, so if worse comes to worse it should be covered....its just the time off of the bike that would suck....

usually i can take a few creaks....mine does have a couple of small ones here and there...its just this one is a lot louder and it kind of worries me....
    Should your balls sit in front of the saddle or on the saddle? Im a bit confused.

flying fatass
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    also i just remembered that older jamis's had a problem with the rear triangle, this may not be a problem on the xlt's (i think it was mostly early parkers) but i would still take a look.
    (just guessing) could it have been that problem with the cross brace on the triangle hitting the seat tube when the suspension was fully compressed? If so, that was on the 05' XLT's...mines an 07' tho, so it doesent have that....

as far as any other problems, i havent heard any, but tell me if you find one....

Quote Originally Posted by carrot_top
    Its not the seat, as i would out of the seat several times when this happened.....no slop either....it could be sand, but its not a bunch of small creaks, but just one big ping....I would do the air test, but i dont have a shock pump. I can get ahold of someone with one, so ill get to that soon.

Im really hoping its nothing wrong with the bearing, but i do have the frame under warrenty, so if worse comes to worse it should be covered....its just the time off of the bike that would suck....
    Have you taken the pivot bolts out and dissasembled the rear end so that you can feel each pivot bearing individualy?? Just because there aren't a bunch of small creaks does not mean that it isn't sand in a pivot or two.

How often do you check the air pressure in your rear shock if you don't have a shock pump???????? This could be your problem right here, you don't have enough air pressure in your rear shock so when you take a hard hit you are hearing your rear shock bottom out. Go get or buy a shock pump and check, set and maintain your pressure, you might find that this fixes your issue.

flying fatass
    Have you taken the pivot bolts out and dissasembled the rear end so that you can feel each pivot bearing individualy?? Just because there aren't a bunch of small creaks does not mean that it isn't sand in a pivot or two.

How often do you check the air pressure in your rear shock if you don't have a shock pump???????? This could be your problem right here, you don't have enough air pressure in your rear shock so when you take a hard hit you are hearing your rear shock bottom out. Go get or buy a shock pump and check, set and maintain your pressure, you might find that this fixes your issue.
    I know its not the shock bottoming out....i had less pressure before and i bottomed it out then, i know what that feels like...plus when i hear the creak, the suspension still compresses a little more after it....

As for the rear end, i havent disassebled it before....its probably due for it soon though...

flying fatass
    Well i took apart the pivot in the picture below, and as i was loosening it, i heard that same creaking noise....sure enough, when i felt the bearings, they were pretty rough....

Ill contact Jamis about replacement bearings.....for now though, ill keep riding with them....weathers bee good this weekend, so i dont want to miss out on any of the riding days.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've noticed my frame makes a......-bike-pivot-right-one.jpg  

meow meow
    that is one well worn seatpost!

Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    that is one well worn seatpost!

That is just the black anno coating coming off, it can happen very fast on a seat post from being moved in and out of the frame.

OP, I would recomend having your local bike shop replace ALL of the pivot bearings on your frame not just the bearings that you checked.

How old is your shock? Have you unbolted the shock and cycled the suspension to see if you get the creaking noise?

flying fatass
    i didnt take off the shock, but with that one pivot taken apart, i could move the main pivot through its entire range of motion and it didnt creak...in fact it was quite smooth and didnt have any play.....so i doubt that would need replacement....the shock is 2 years old, as it came with the bike (07' frame).....ill unbolt the shock now to check the uppermost pivot and see if that creaks any......

as far as the replacement bearings for the problem pivot, Jamis hasent gotten back to me yet, but its been stated that it may take up to 5 days....

(EDIT: just took off the shock (at the point closest to the problem pivot) and the shock bolt is bent slightly....not a good thing....ill E-mail jamis about this as well

I wonder is the screw in question is a common one....ill check my bike shop tuesday (closed monday) about it...

Even if the main pivot SEEMS to be smooth right now it has the same number of miles as those upper pivot bearings and the main pivot bearings take A LOT more stress than those upper bearings, so based on my expirence of the 3 years I spent as a shop mechanic 2 of which I was the lead mechanic please trust me when I say to buy a kit and replace them all, it will save you time and headaches later on.

Bent shock bolt? Was the shock bolt loose or tight when you went to take it off? The silver bushings that are in that end of the shock the hole that the bolt goes through is it wallowed out at all?

With the shock bolt bent that opens up the possibility that the rear end might be out of alignment. You might want to have your local shop check that for you.

For a bearing kit, your shop should be able to order one for you, it might be easier than trying to get one diretly from Jamis. If they are a Jamis dealer they might have one in stock.

For the shock bolt if your LBS doesn't have one in stock then head on down to your local hardware store and ask them to match up a bolt for you (it is metric) and replace the nut also.

flying fatass
    Ill see what i can do about the bearing kit......ill have to go to the shop where i bought the bike in the first place tho, my local shop doesent carry Jamis stuff.

The bolt was nice and tight when i tried to take it off....and the silver bushings seemed fine, but ill check again.....also there isnt a nut that holds it on, the pivot is threaded through the other side...

It seems like it could be a common bolt though, so ill see what i can find at ACE....

Also, about the alignment, im not sure there is any alignment problems....the bike tracks straight and i dont have any problems with the chain line, but then again it could be a very minute shift, so it would be almost unnoticable....

Fo the alignment it doesn't take much of a difference to cause and issue, and it might not even have any effect on tracking or chain line.

flying fatass
    Well I wentout to ride today.....was a good one, no problems....however about 1/2 way through it I noticed that the original creak is gone, but now a new (more worrying) clunk noise has started. If I pull my rear wheel off the ground (like to clear a log) and set it back down, it creaks at the very top of the travel....like a bearing/busing is loose or worn and the bolt has some play in it.....ill check out the pivots again tonight and see.....Iím going to contact the bike shop I bought it from about it, as well as try to call up jamis tomorrow....its beginning to worry me more now.....the rear end still doesnít feel wobbly though, but its probably up/down play, not side to side, as all the bolts are nice and tight.....

C S
    mtbr member
    Did you ever check the main pivot? That used to loosen up on my Dakar more than the other pivots, except I could fit a hex wrench in without removing the cranks.

Carrot_top, one of the BU bushings in your rear shock may be worn out and need to be replaced. You can check this very easily, grab the back of the saddle with one hand and grab the shock with the other around one of the shockbolts, now lift with the hand that is on the seat, do you feel and play or movement? Now do the same to the other shock bolt. If you feen and play or movement then head on down to your LBS and have them confirm it for you. If you need to have one or both DU bushings replaced it is fairly inexpensive.

flying fatass
    Carrot_top, one of the BU bushings in your rear shock may be worn out and need to be replaced. You can check this very easily, grab the back of the saddle with one hand and grab the shock with the other around one of the shockbolts, now lift with the hand that is on the seat, do you feel and play or movement? Now do the same to the other shock bolt. If you feen and play or movement then head on down to your LBS and have them confirm it for you. If you need to have one or both DU bushings replaced it is fairly inexpensive.
    no, unfortunately, its not that, just checked it now......even when applying a lot of downward and upward force, there was no play.....

Quote Originally Posted by C S
    Did you ever check the main pivot? That used to loosen up on my Dakar more than the other pivots, except I could fit a hex wrench in without removing the cranks.
    Well i used to not be able to fit a hex in it.....now i can... (I have a different cranket now, maybe the granny gear has a different tooth count....or maybe i was stupid and didnt try hard enough >_> ).....either way, i checked the main pivot, and it was nice and tight.....no play either.....which leave only 2 pivots...the shock mount (the one on the pivot, not the frame), or that other pivot from the picture, the one with the rough bearings.....

like i said though, im taking it to the shop to have it checked soon...

All that being said, i took it to the trails yesterday and today and it rides fine....even if there is something wrong, i still cant stop the itch to ride....

flying fatass
    well i found out what bearing was bad....

i noticed it 1/2 way through my ride today.....the shop had already been called and they are ordering a bearing kit for all of the pivots....bringing to to the shop monday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've noticed my frame makes a......-imgp3628.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0