iorn horse warrior 1.3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

iorn horse warrior 1.3

Well i got a good deal on this iron horse warroir 1.3 from dicks paid about 270 came with decent components. but i like the warrior frame it give me a good base to upgrade. well after riding around in it for the past 3 days about 3 miles every afternoon. The derailures seems to be out of tune. i mean the guy @ dicks put the bike on a stand and did this whole tune up maintenance checklist in fornt of me adjusted to derailures and disk brakes. I'm not too happy with the derailers since after only riding on the bike for less than a week they are out of tune. They are Front Der shimano s050 i think. and the rear is the shimano acrea. The front is lightly rubbing on the chain and the chain fell off the smallest gear in the rear when i got on it hard on a dirt trail. Unfortuanatley im an idiot from buying from Dicks but the deal was great. the mngr of the biking dept who sold me the bike said bring it in and he will re tune it however i'm a little worried he really doens't know what he's doing. Did i make a mistake by buying from here? my budget was no more than 300. Can anyone give me advise on adjusting theses derailers? i've read stickies from numouer site about tuning but i'm a little confused. The funny thing is i can do an engine swap tranny work and lots of other mods on high end imports but bicycles confuse me, lol what the hell. I really want to learn to do all this stuff myself i have a large assormetn of tools. Anyways this was my chance to vent and ask for advice. I might also take it to an LBS and they can tune the derailers for $20.

thanks

Tim

mtbr member
    Adjusting you own derailleurs and brakes are actually easy tasks to complete and learning to do this yourself will save you a great deal of time and money in the future. The Park Tool web site provides great advice for dealing with adjustments and repairs.

Most likely you just need to increase you cable tension to both derailleurs. This can be accomplished with your barrel adjusters (should be adjusters on both your shifters and brake levers) and won't even require the use of any tools, just turn the adjusters counterclockwise (unscrew) from either the shifters/levers or the derailleur (rear only). Try a quarter turn at a time until things improve and if they get worse, try the other direction. Often trial and error is the best way to learn.

If this doesn't help then definitely check out the Park Tools site before taking a scredriver or hex key to anything and if you need any further advice try posting your questions in the Everthing Drivetrain forum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I bought my Maverick 1.2 from Dicks. I wish I could have gotten the Warrior 1.3 but other obligations prevented that. In any case I have the same drive train and mine wasnt tuned at all from Dicks but I quickly solved that. The cables will stretch quickly at first requiring retuning. The Acera is adequate at best, IMO the SIS 050 front der sucks. Mine rubbed the chain also and no matter what adjust ment I made I couldnt get it to go through all 3 chainrings smoothly. Since I dont use the largest one I just set it up for the other two and it works great for that. For what you get on the bike 270 is a steal. It was 299 here. Sports Authority has an identical version of the bike with thier own name and they had 599 on the tag!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks guys i'll go home andtinker with it if i have enough time the GF wants to go see that new harry potter movie she got tickets for it. I guess it looks cool since w'ere going to see it in IMAx i will update you on my progress. that is nice to know another warrior rider has the same issue with the front der i might just buy an lx or deore and swap it in. But for now i need to tune it so i can taek it on some real trails however tampa, fl doesn't have quite the trial i'm looking for that i seen bank in Pa.

thanks

Tim

Members who have read this thread: 0