Inside of my knees sore?- Mtbr.com
    Work in Progress
    Sep 2009

Inside of my knees sore?

So I hit the most difficult trail at my local Park (Cunningham Park, Queens, NY) and had some troubles with the climbs. I only remember hitting my left knee once trying to make it up but the next day the insides of my knees were sore like I hit them. There were no bruises. The only thing I can think of is when me and my buddy were resting I might've had my legs resting up on the frame and maybe my knees were rubbing on it. It's not a strain pain, more like I banged up my knees.

Is it possible to have this type of pain from straining on the climbs? My muscles are sore and I would expect the strain in other parts of my legs but it only hurts on the medial side of my knees right on the bone.

I guess I'll start wearing knee pads. My shins got scratched up pretty good trying to make it up the steeps and trying to get off the bike...lol

Thanks to my Wah Wah's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've had and still have similar knee pain. At first I thought it was a bruise but it never surfaced. The more I rode, the more it started hurting and was easier to pinpoint. The inside and front of my left knee hurt like hell and would especially hurt the day after. The pain subsides during cycling but if I rest it at an angle (sitting down, driving, etc) it starts to hurt bad. Feels like I smashed the knee cap into something. If this sounds similar, its probably inflammation from the patella not tracking right. Google it. Proper seat height and cadence has made the pain decrease, but it's still there to remind me to spin faster. If you're riding in high gear and really pushing and your legs aren't used to it/conditioned right, you could easily feel the pain from the patella rubbing wrong. I've been told by my PT that it's Patella Femoral Syndrome. Check it out.

Then again, if it's an actual bruise, then I just rambled on for no reason.

Work in Progress
    Sep 2009
    Well it didn't bother me until that one day so I don't think it's anything like that. Probably just from leaning on the frame and resting.....lol

Addicted to the Ride
    Probably just a sore and tight muscle. Just stretch it out. If not might be a bone bruise

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Strech it out!

I had an occasion when my legs would cramp up everytime I would lean my body weight on one leg (ie. Climbing stairs) and it hurt. All I did was kept streching it and slowly rode on the bike with a slow pace. Don't be startled we all get itchy to ride the saddle!
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon
    • OEM Spec

Fat-tired Roadie
    Riding with the saddle too low or pushing too high a gear can both cause knee pain really fast.

Other kinds of overtraining injury are unlikely with how much you're riding and where you're doing it, but anything's possible.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Work in Progress
    Sep 2009
    Hmmm so too low of a gear and high cadence can do it? I tried the lower gears on some of the steeper climbs. I guess I'll try and take another run tomorrow morning if it's not blazing hot and humid again....

Fat-tired Roadie
    Maybe, but I meant the other way around - people hurt their knees riding at low cadence, in a high gear.

Keep trying those low gears. There's some machismo on this site, and everywhere, really, about using higher gears, but the only thing that really matters is how much power you develop. Most people develop more power at higher cadences and whatever gear makes that work.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx