Information Overload- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Information Overload

So I have scoured the forum and got instant information overload w/the amount of information that is actually out there!!!! WOw.....

Anywho- I am retiring my old GT rigid mtb for a new more modern day ride. My problem is what bike to choose next. My budget is $500-$700

I will be riding on mostly road/light trails with the wife. Nothing extreme no racing etc.

the bikes I have been eyeing from the lbs are Specialized RH Comp 29, Cannondale Catalyst 1 or the Giant Talon 29

Any feedback and help is greatly appreciated- THanks,

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I have the Rockhopper Sport for a backup bike. And I am pretty happy with it for the price. The comp is a noticeable improvement as well. But in reality the one that fits the best is probably the right answer

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    After researching those bikes you're looking at a bit, I came to the same conclusion as when I was looking for my bike. In the end, it seems like the best thing to look for in a low-budget bike is a good fit. A hardtail that fits you will serve you better than a sweet fs that's three inches too short. You can't expect quality components, and it seems like low-end bikes use a lot of the same components, but with different stickers and paint jobs. If you keep a weather eye on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, you might be able to find a higher-end used bike with slightly better components, but don't kill yourself looking for the best deal. Figure out which one feels best and go with that. You'll have a lot more fun and be more willing to deal with its "personality".

Probably drunk right now
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch View Post
    After researching those bikes you're looking at a bit, I came to the same conclusion as when I was looking for my bike. In the end, it seems like the best thing to look for in a low-budget bike is a good fit. A hardtail that fits you will serve you better than a sweet fs that's three inches too short. You can't expect quality components, and it seems like low-end bikes use a lot of the same components, but with different stickers and paint jobs. If you keep a weather eye on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, you might be able to find a higher-end used bike with slightly better components, but don't kill yourself looking for the best deal. Figure out which one feels best and go with that. You'll have a lot more fun and be more willing to deal with its "personality".
    ^^^ This is the right answer ^^^
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Yep, used can be great value - your $700 budget could net you a bike that cost $1200 a couple of years ago. Pinkbike is another good used source.

Given your riding description, a hardtail should serve you well, and yet again will give you better components for a similarly-priced full-suspension (FS) bike.

That said, if you are uncomfortable with used, your local shop might be a good idea, but your budget gets you a lesser bike.

Maxxis cult follower
    Quote Originally Posted by BRIDGERBOY32 View Post
    So I have scoured the forum and got instant information overload w/the amount of information that is actually out there!!!! WOw.....

Anywho- I am retiring my old GT rigid mtb for a new more modern day ride. My problem is what bike to choose next. My budget is $500-$700

I will be riding on mostly road/light trails with the wife. Nothing extreme no racing etc.

the bikes I have been eyeing from the lbs are Specialized RH Comp 29, Cannondale Catalyst 1 or the Giant Talon 29

Any feedback and help is greatly appreciated- THanks,
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh? A 29" may be overkill for dirt roads unless you are over 6' tall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Yep, used can be great value - your $700 budget could net you a bike that cost $1200 a couple of years ago. Pinkbike is another good used source.
    This! After the deal I got on my used Santa Cruz, I will never buy new again, the used deals are that much better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    6'3" about 250lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post

Given your riding description, a hardtail should serve you well, and yet again will give you better components for a similarly-priced full-suspension (FS) bike.

That said, if you are uncomfortable with used, your local shop might be a good idea, but your budget gets you a lesser bike.
    I have been looking the used route as well but honestly I am a little leary of doing that as I'm not really good at bike mechanics and wouldn't want to buy a lemon

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh? A 29" may be overkill for dirt roads unless you are over 6' tall.
    this post makes no sense at all.

mtbr member
    29ers dont go by height. They go by age. If you're old and crusty, its 29er time! Short people can ride 29ers, you just have to be old and crusty and hate fun.

I might be a little biased. Or maybe im getting old and crusty and need a 29er myself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    You can always ask to meet sellers at a bike shop and have the shop look it over for you before buying. I have done this before.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    29ers dont go by height. They go by age. If you're old and crusty, its 29er time! Short people can ride 29ers, you just have to be old and crusty and hate fun.

I might be a little biased. Or maybe im getting old and crusty and need a 29er myself.
    Meh, im not that old (not even 30 yet) and love 29ers for everything.

mtbr member
    Im kidding. 29ers are good these days, and a ton of people very much enjoy them. Everyone should try as many bikes as they can. Its just fun poking at the 29er guys

Lone Wolf
    "mostly road/light trails with the wife. Nothing extreme no racing etc."

Your 6'3" op,,, do not cheat yourself ,, Look Into 29 PLUS

I moved from a racy 27.5 full suspension to a 27.5 PLUS hard tail. I'm 5'11" and 170..

My 27.5+ tires/wheels are only a single tread height shorter than a full on 29er

And Plus tires on a hard tail,, well once you figure out the mid teen tire pressures its like
    having a full suspension bike with about 40 mm of rear travel with the right frame...

I BS you Not !
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    My wife is 5'5" and 112lbs and rides a 29er,,wheel size has zero to do with weight and height,,,on the other hand I'm 6'3" and 260 lbs and ride a 26"so I should probably be riding a 36er?

either of those 3 bikes will serve you well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by katsup View Post
    You can always ask to meet sellers at a bike shop and have the shop look it over for you before buying. I have done this before.
    Sound advice,,and If there are some minor probs you could get the price knocked down considerably and do the easy fixes yourself

once again great advice

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'd encourage you to go chat with the staff at a local bike shop. There's lots of good info here on the forums, but is also information overload. I was a MTB nerd back in the 90's and it's a whole new world. I'm also looking at a newer bike, and there's so many options.

Bottom line, if you like your bike and it fits, and is something you want and look forward to riding, then it's a good choice. It's hard to know that right off the bat, but go sit on a few and you'll start developing preferences. It sounds like you're already on a good track. Get out there and see what feels good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pnw_xc View Post
    I'd encourage you to go chat with the staff at a local bike shop. There's lots of good info here on the forums, but is also information overload. I was a MTB nerd back in the 90's and it's a whole new world. I'm also looking at a newer bike, and there's so many options.

Bottom line, if you like your bike and it fits, and is something you want and look forward to riding, then it's a good choice. It's hard to know that right off the bat, but go sit on a few and you'll start developing preferences. It sounds like you're already on a good track. Get out there and see what feels good.
    Sounds like good sound advice!!! Thanks everyone for all the comments more stuff to think about. However tomm I am gonna visit those bike shops and do so demos talk to the mechanics and pretty much everyone I can.

mtbr member
    I'm going to go back to basics here for a second--given the kind of riding and intensity you describe-- why are you looking for a "modern" bike?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pnw_xc View Post

Quote Originally Posted by rabitoblanco View Post
    I'm going to go back to basics here for a second--given the kind of riding and intensity you describe-- why are you looking for a "modern" bike?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    My gt needs major overhaul after all the years of riding it and I was /am ready to move up into something non steel rigid. I know I know the forks will need replaced and will work on that right after I take owenership but really at my age (48) I want something more light weight and fun to ride my gt was starting to become a boat anchor and I knew it was time for something new. Besides I can upgrade the crap out of this new one and make it more personal. If that makes sense

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    My gt needs major overhaul after all the years of riding it and I was /am ready to move up into something non steel rigid. I know I know the forks will need replaced and will work on that right after I take owenership but really at my age (48) I want something more light weight and fun to ride my gt was starting to become a boat anchor and I knew it was time for something new. Besides I can upgrade the crap out of this new one and make it more personal. If that makes sense
    Makes total sense that's where I am at w/my gt. And like everyone says the forks are the weak link which in the grand scheme isn't that big of a deal. The budget that I am on can account for a fork upgrade. But, at least w/a good solid base (bike) to start with you can always upgrade w/some piece of mind

mtbr member
    Newbie here, and have to have 10 posts before I start a thread.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Just randomly got the MTB bug and want to get into the game.

Thought about buying a $200 - $300 Craigslist bike to get me into it. However, I just have no idea what I'm looking at with all these damn bikes for sale. All I know is that Yeti makes expensive bikes and you should stay away from most Mongoose bikes.

Also - wary about accidentally buying a stolen bike off of Craigslist. Is there really any way to avoid this? Or is it possible to assure that homeboy is legit and just honestly doesn't ride bikes anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    OP: In your situation, I think you should buy a new bike from a LBS. The brand almost doesn't matter for low/mid-range hardtails. Above a certain level they will all have good aluminum frames (maybe all made in the same factory in China by Giant or Kinesis). It's just a question of getting the best part mix and spec for your needs, and liking the bike shop. You can get a good deal on 2017 closeouts or even 2016 bikes that are left in stock--look around. For hardtails in your price range, there haven't been a lot of changes in the last 2-3 years, so I wouldn't worry about having to get a 2018 bike.

You listed two 29ers and one 27.5 bike. Although any size person can ride any wheel size, if I were 6'3" riding roads and light trails, I would get a 29er. If it turns out you're riding mostly roads, you can put on road/touring tires, e.g. 700x35mm (29er is exactly the same size as 700c road, i.e. 622mm bead diameter). There's actually not a huge selection of 650B (27.5) road tires out there at this point. The recommendation to get 27plus or 29plus is really inappropriate for riding on the road, as you plan to do.

I've bought and sold countless bikes on Craigslist. I love used bikes. But for a lot of people, it's not worth it. I work on my own bikes, I know what to look for, etc. That isn't for everybody, and there's a good feeling getting a brand new, modern bike, with a shop to stand behind it and maybe give you free tune ups for a while. And the deal will be good if you get a closeout. (By the way, the way to avoid getting a stolen bike is to ask a lot of questions. How long have you had the bike? Why are you selling it? Where did you get it? Evasive answers, or answers that don't make sense, lead to suspicions. But there are tons of completely legitimate sellers out there, and their stories hold up under polite questioning.)

One more piece of advice: If you really think you will want to upgrade things, you should bite the bullet and pay for a higher grade bike now. You are buying a frame, a wheelset, and a shock. Everything else is pretty much a wear item, or low cost, or will scale in quality with the overall quality of the part spec. Upgrading wheels and forks is expensive (the caveat being that you can often find good used deals, but buying a used fork can be tricky unless it was taken off almost new). So if you think you will want better wheels and a better shock, buy them now by getting a slightly better bike. A couple of years ago this meant getting out of the Suntour forks into a RockShox fork (XC32 at least, maybe Rekon or Sektor if you pay more). Now I see Manitou forks (owned by Fox now) filling that niche also, don't have a feeling for how they compare, though. I think the Suntour XCR forks are actually decent, and they can be serviced somewhat like a Rockshox or Fox fork. The lower forks (at least in the past--not sure now) were pretty much use then toss.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Kyle_W, for your situation, I think a used bike makes a lot of sense. However, if you're not used to Craigslist, you could go to a place like Performance Bikes (or another LBS). If you look for closeout deals, and especially if you hit a 20% off sale, you can get a decent entry level MTB for $300-400. Don't expect to hit the jumps with such a bike. But you can get out on light trails and ride on the road and be pretty happy. If you really catch the bug, then you will learn what you like and don't like, and you'll probably be ready to walk back in and plunk down $2500+ (or less, if buying used) for a full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by paramount3 View Post
    Kyle_W, for your situation, I think a used bike makes a lot of sense. However, if you're not used to Craigslist, you could go to a place like Performance Bikes (or another LBS). If you look for closeout deals, and especially if you hit a 20% off sale, you can get a decent entry level MTB for $300-400. Don't expect to hit the jumps with such a bike. But you can get out on light trails and ride on the road and be pretty happy. If you really catch the bug, then you will learn what you like and don't like, and you'll probably be ready to walk back in and plunk down $2500+ (or less, if buying used) for a full suspension bike.
    Almost exactly what I did don't regret it for a second and have kept the old entry level bike as a spare/loaner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramount3 View Post
    Understood. Thanks!

I use craigslist all the time, I'd just imagine that bikes are stolen and resold all the time, unfortunately. However, what I am getting though, is that most guys are simply just looking to sell their bikes and I shouldn't be too worried about getting a stolen bike?

I'm wanting to find that badass bike that someone bought to use every day for biking, but the wife or husband told him or her that "you have to sell at least one toy" and is now parting with their bike.

I honestly have no idea what to look for. I've looked for a mountain bike brand glossary but haven't found one - all I want, like you said, is a bike that I can have fun with, which I can eventually upgrade to a $1,000 bike in the case that I want to stick with the sport.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Lots of good advice on here. Thanks for all the replies everyone!!! 😃

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    "mostly road/light trails with the wife. Nothing extreme no racing etc."

Your 6'3" op,,, do not cheat yourself ,, Look Into 29 PLUS
    Uhh...you know some 29+ bikes in the 5-700 dollar range?

I know a lot of people that have gotten screaming deals on nice used 26" bikes lately. Like, 10% of MSRP-type deals. Yeah, there are things to watch for, but there are also lots of ridiculously good bikes out there for short $$.

And yeah, wheel size is strictly a preference thing. It has ~zero correlation to rider height.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    See if you have a non-profit bike repair and recycling group in your town???

Not only would you be getting the "used bike discount" but you can learn how to do basic maintenance and such.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_W View Post
    Newbie here, and have to have 10 posts before I start a thread.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Just randomly got the MTB bug and want to get into the game.

Thought about buying a $200 - $300 Craigslist bike to get me into it. However, I just have no idea what I'm looking at with all these damn bikes for sale. All I know is that Yeti makes expensive bikes and you should stay away from most Mongoose bikes.

Also - wary about accidentally buying a stolen bike off of Craigslist. Is there really any way to avoid this? Or is it possible to assure that homeboy is legit and just honestly doesn't ride bikes anymore?

That's a great place to start. You will know pretty quickly whether it is stolen after asking them about the bike and what store they bought it from.

Remember, seats and random add-ons are not "upgrades" despite what the seller thinks. You will probably have to buy one that works for you anyways.

Bicycle bluebook is a good baseline when shopping and finding out if someone is asking too much.

I would start with Bikes with an asking price of up to 500 on C list and work through the options and negotiate.

Do not spend over 200-250 for anything with a crappy Suntour coil fork unless it is a newer Trek/specialized, etc.

I would not be afraid of a rigid singlespeed bike. Not much to go wrong, tons of fun to be had!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    @Bridgerboy32...I researched the RH Comp you mentioned to me on another thread and now i am seriously considering that bike. I plan on test riding a 29er soon. Hopefully my LBS has one. Still a bit torn between 27.5 vs 29 as my local trails have a lot of twists and tight turns. Curious, have you narrowed down your decision yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    That's a great place to start. You will know pretty quickly whether it is stolen after asking them about the bike and what store they bought it from.

Remember, seats and random add-ons are not "upgrades" despite what the seller thinks. You will probably have to buy one that works for you anyways.

Bicycle bluebook is a good baseline when shopping and finding out if someone is asking too much.

I would start with Bikes with an asking price of up to 500 on C list and work through the options and negotiate.

Do not spend over 200-250 for anything with a crappy Suntour coil fork unless it is a newer Trek/specialized, etc.

I would not be afraid of a rigid singlespeed bike. Not much to go wrong, tons of fun to be had!
    I do understand that a non-suspension, quality bike is better than a front suspension, cheap bike.

How is it possible to find out which suspension forks are worth it and not? Just by brand names?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    At that price point, you probably aren't going to get anything Great unless it is old. which MAY be ok if you can afford another 200 in maintenance over the first few months. I would budget this anyway regardless of what bike you buy.

Suntour is garbage until you get into the XCR line. which is okay..

RS makes a full line of forks. if it has a number on it, that is the diameter of the stanchion. as a Grown man I would look for a minimum of 32
    RS goes
    XC28
    xc30
    xc32 silver, gold, each available in air spring which is lighter
    reba, various models and air
    recon- same as above and beffier
    Sid- various models, all air, lightweight XC race fork, but capable of handling all trails, just not Freeride and huge hits.
    Other forks you will not see on that price point bike even used

you may see some older names like Judy and tora, these are going to be on much older bikes and may be fully functioning. I would set air pressure and confirm they work.

Marz...
    that's a tough one. older bikes will have Bomber forks which are super stout and may be a heavy coil Dirt jumping worthy fork or air. the new TS stuff looks cool but may be suspect

Manitou
    good forks unless it is really old and not taken care of

X fusion...

again they make a whimpy narrow spring 28 and 30 gravel path fork and they make good 32mm air forks which you wont be seeing at that price point

Fox
    One brand you can count on it being pretty good to great. But their service intervals are high and it may have not been taken care of. rebuilds can costs hundreds of dollars for all types of forks.
    They kind od call all forks the same and change certain words. tricky marketing
    performance/evolution
    Factory - best

I believe the float word gets thrown around a lot. I think they make some cheaper version for factory bikes like the f30 or f32 that may show up, but again its very confusing to a Lehman.

They also use a numbering system to tell you leg diameter.

RST makes a bunch of cheap forks that come on cheap bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by derekve View Post
    @Bridgerboy32...I researched the RH Comp you mentioned to me on another thread and now i am seriously considering that bike. I plan on test riding a 29er soon. Hopefully my LBS has one. Still a bit torn between 27.5 vs 29 as my local trails have a lot of twists and tight turns. Curious, have you narrowed down your decision yet?
    As it stands it's still between those 3 bikes so far unfortunately it's been raining here on the weekends so I haven't been able to test ride anything yet. I was planning on going out this weekend so I will keep ya posted to as what I find.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    As it stands it's still between those 3 bikes so far unfortunately it's been raining here on the weekends so I haven't been able to test ride anything yet. I was planning on going out this weekend so I will keep ya posted to as what I find.
    Hopefully the rain stops for you and you get chance to test ride them soon! Thanks, look forward to see what your thoughts are.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If you have to have a new 2018 bike then I'd say go with the Giant Talon 3 for $520 from your local bike shop. If you want a deal and want to get it shipped to your house then I'd suggest the Raleigh Tokul 2. It has a 1 x 9 drive train and one of the best front forks you can get for around $600. Look here for more info: https://www.handsoncycling.com/blog-...ain-bike-deals

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    You can get the Tokul 3 Plus bike for $600 through Raleigh corporate site.

https://www.raleighusa.com/tokul-13377
    Last edited by Rhodyman; 08-30-2017 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Link