I think I broke it...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

I think I broke it...

So, working on my front derailleur and shifter last night, I started making some adjustments to the derailleur, and disengaged the cable from the mech. While waiting to see if degunkifying the mech would help it move more freely, I moved up to the shifter. after woking through the gears a few times, I noticed this...

Did I break it or can this be reset in the barrel somehow?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I think I broke it...-img_0603.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Its not broken, you just have way to much slack in the cable, you just need to slide the housing back into the barrel adjuster. But before you do that, get some new cable housing, what you have looks pretty worn out.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It looks like the ferrule is worn ,allowing the cable to be exposed . Replace the housing ,cable and ferrules.

mtbr member
    Agree with too much slack and need the new cable housing.

FYI, there are two basic cable types. Brake and dearilure housings. Brake is normally 5mm outside diameter, consists of wires wrapped around in a spiral (like a spring), and the cable is thicker to allow more force. Derailure housing is normally 4mm, consists of a lot of wires bundled to run parallel like what your picture shows (so the housing can't compress), and is thinner (don't know why).

It's difficult to tell, but it looks like the housing end was pulled off and you had some shifting/pushing around of cables inside your housing. Unless you feel comfortable doing it, I'd just remove all the derailure housing and take it to your local bike shop and have them cut all new cables. You need to bring in the old so they can match the length.

On the cheap, Bell brand has a full brake and shifter cable/housing set at walmart for something like $7. The derailure cable is the same as the brake cable, so your shifting won't be as good as it could be. It will work with 8-speed, but I wouldn't use it on 9+ speed systems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    I'd just remove all the derailure housing and take it to your local bike shop and have them cut all new cables. You need to bring in the old so they can match the length.
    when I remove old housing, I just throw away the old stuff and measure new pieces as I go. if the old housing was too long or too short, you are not doing yourself any favors by putting incorrect length housing back on the bike.

agreed that the housing is done. replace it with a new section where that one is busted and replace the ferrule with nice aluminum ones instead of those cheesy plastic ones.

mtbr member
    This is assuming you bring the bike with you to the LBS or you have your own housing.