I was offered this for my price range, is it worth it? (Trek 3700)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I was offered this for my price range, is it worth it? (Trek 3700)

I went to my local bike shop after being disappointed with my department bike...long story short after looking around for a used bike and something in my price this was all I could find for under 350 dollars.

The Trek 3700 which is on sale for 329 dollars. It is a 2009 model. White/Red Color Variation.

Here is the specs:

ameset
    Sizes 13, 16, 18, 19.5, 21, 22.5"
    Frame Alpha White Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, bi-oval down tube w/integrated gusset, rack and fender mounts, disc compatible dropouts, replaceable derailleur hanger
    Front Suspension SR Suntour SF8 XCT V2 w/coil spring, preload, 80mm
    Wheels
    Wheels Formula Alloy FM31 hubs; Bontrager 550 rims w/brushed sidewalls
    Tires Bontrager LT-3, 26x2.0"
    Drivetrain
    Shifters Shimano EF50, 7 speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano C051
    Rear Derailleur Shimano M310
    Crank Shimano M151 42/34/24
    Cassette Shimano TZ31 13-34, 7 speed
    Pedals Wellgo nylon platform
    Components
    Saddle Bontrager SSR
    Seat Post Bontrager SSR, 31.6mm, 20mm offset
    Handlebars Bontrager Approved Riser, 30mm rise
    Stem Bontrager Approved, 25 degree
    Headset VP-A68-TK, 1-1/8" semi-cartridge, sealed
    Brakeset Tektro V w/Shimano EF50 leversameset
    Frame Alpha White Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, bi-oval down tube w/integrated gusset, rack and fender mounts, disc compatible dropouts, replaceable derailleur hanger
    Front Suspension SR Suntour SF8 XCT V2 w/coil spring, preload, 80mm
    Wheels
    Wheels Formula Alloy FM31 hubs; Bontrager 550 rims w/brushed sidewalls
    Tires Bontrager LT-3, 26x2.0"
    Drivetrain
    Rear Derailleur Shimano M310
    Crank Shimano M151 42/34/24
    Cassette Shimano TZ31 13-34, 7 speed
    Pedals Wellgo nylon platform
    Components
    Saddle Bontrager SSR
    Seat Post Bontrager SSR, 31.6mm, 20mm offset
    Handlebars Bontrager Approved Riser, 30mm rise
    Headset VP-A68-TK, 1-1/8" semi-cartridge, sealed
    Brakeset Tektro V w/Shimano EF50 levers

Please i am totally NEW to this. basically I am learning whats out there and suits me best.

I am looking for a good beginner bike that can support a 6 ft 250 lb person. I am looking to ride within the city limits, and trail riding with my dog.

I do not really know what to look for, and the guy at the store was helpful at pointing out stuff in my price range, however, I heard a few bad reviews on this bike, I am just making sure I am making the right decision. I have it on layaway for now, but I can always apply that money towards a different bike if you guys think its not a good bike.

Guy was nice enough for me to try two of the bikes in my price range, I loved em both, except I like the trek 3700 shift gear style better. So what do you guys think? I hope I provided you guys with enough info to point me in the right direction. Basically want a bike that I can learn from and using as a building bike to get a better bike from that point.

The way I am looking at it, I if I am new driving why go out and buy a ferrari or lambo? Start off with something that you can work with and learn the gears and mechanics of the machine functions...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    bump....

mtbr member
    This is a bare-bone entry level ride. Most bike in this range will be. It will handle basic level trails but you may experience trouble with heavier trails. If yo could swing more, I would suggest it.

It will blow away a dept store bike because the builder is better (assuming it is a reputible bike shop).

if yo could swing more, I would

Ride Responsibly
    Good enough and a good deal to boot.
    Buy it and ride it with confidence.

Fisher Fanattic
    Mar 2010
    I say get the bike, love it and enjoy it, and if you chose to upgrade later you can.

Glad you will be riding with your dog I love to ride with mine.

AZ
    banned
    A price thats fair , buy it , ride it , enjoy it .

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    TY Guys for your input.

Quick Question, If was to up my price range, would my bike serve me more justice?

I ask this question, to the veterans, as I am a newbie, and being a lil rough on stuff, well I hate to ruin something because I was too rough... So taking consideration If I was to say add my price range to 475 you think I could go better?

When I say better, because you can always go better, with bikes costing 8,000 ++++ I mean as far as quality and parts, I heard some minor issues with this bike, and I am still new to shifting, handling bike on curbs, I try to take care but basically I want a bike that I can have that will last me 2-4 years without having to do major upgrades or repairs.

The way I look at it, by the time your fixing or upgrading the bike, you would of been better of buying the bike that was more equipped for a hundred dollars more. I really hate to go over 499.00.

So basically anyone suggest a better bike that is under 499.00 Price Range?

I am going to be reviewing all bikes suggested and find out what suits me best.

thanks again for everyones input on this so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    bump...sorry i just need more input b4 i buy the wrong bike... thanks guys.

Fisher Fanattic
    Mar 2010
    I would not upgrade to the higher budget, I find that the difference is only when you can make larger steps. This is a great bike and it sounds like a good deal, go pick her up!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So the Trek 3700 for the win eh?...Anyone else care to put input on this?

mtbr member
    Why aren't you out buying it right now???

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Given the type of riding you've described that you will be doing, you don't really need to worry about trashing this bike. It should do, what you want it to do, very well.

Shifting is something you will get more comfortable with as you get more time riding bikes in general.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    K, good to hear, well I feel confident that this will be a good bike then, Trek 3700 Red/White. Hopefully I will be able to get this weekend.

Fisher Fanattic
    Mar 2010
    no go get it now, silly guy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would get it now, but I only had 150 dollars to spend on a bike. Being that the bike is 329.00 I have to come up with the other portion of the money....Great thing I was able to put her on layaway while I did my research making sure I made the right decision.

Fisher Fanattic
    Mar 2010
    roger that, happy riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks...! I just need to get a helmet...Man helmets feel so geeky...lol...But on the other hand if being geeky saves my life from a idiot hitting me, then so be it.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    When you are riding...

You can't even tell you have a helmet on!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    No, he let me try a new modern day helmet, one that is slightly loose around jaw line ,but fits and works perfect, I like it alot, but I know that helmet is going to set me back another 30 bucks...

Well I am glad everyone here does not disagree with the Trek 3700.

Basically going from a Mongoose XR-75 to a Trek 3700. I know I will be quite happy with the trek, from the joy ride in the parking lot, I could already tell I was lovin it... The frame is so much lighter too..

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sweet deal. Get it and ride the hell out of it.

This is my second year with my Trek and it's handled everything I could throw at it...including several nice wrecks. It just keeps on going.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What trek do you have... I am so happy that I will be getting a decent bike and that no one has said anything bad about this deal. Of course it is 329. plus tax, but they local shop is willing to tune it up in another 4 weeks, and said it if ever goes wack, if they can fix it for free, if no parts do not need change out.

what is even better is that he told me to get a prescription for a bicycle so that he wont CHARGE SALES TAX!

that means 329.00 out the door!!! WOO HOO!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    This will be my first 7 speed bike. If I choose this model, I say that, because they might have a used bike on the rack thats even better or a better sale on a better bike.

Frameset
    Frame Alpha White Aluminum w/externally relieved head tube, bi-axial down tube, disc compatible dropouts
    Front Suspension SR Suntour M-2025, 63mm
    Wheels
    Wheels Alloy hubs; Matrix 550 rims w/brushed sidewalls
    Tires Bontrager Connection Trail, 26x2.0"
    Drivetrain
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Acera
    Crank SR Suntour XCC-T208 48/38/28
    Cassette Sun Race 13-34, 7 speed
    Pedals Nylon platform
    Components
    Saddle Bontrager Approved
    Seat Post Bontrager SSR, 20mm offset
    Handlebars Bontrager Approved, 30mm rise
    Headset VP-A76C-TK, 1 1/8" semi-cartridge, sealed
    Brakeset Tektro V w/Shimano EF50 levers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I was offered this for my price range, is it worth it? (Trek 3700)-aaabb.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    BTW I already have a Schwinn Gel Seat with Shock absorber which I say is the best damn seat ever. Never had a problem with that seat, so I will replace that and add lights to the bike. Only known upgrades that I will need.

Any one suggest a upgrade for running a dog>? some device you put on the bike and prevents the rope or lease getting caught on the bike. PLus it helps if he ever jerks the bike causing you to fall.

Permanent Noob
    Do an internet search for bike dog leash and you'll find plenty.

Enjoy the new ride.
    I'm beginning to overcome my "momentum issues" but even that is happening slowly.

MTB Name - Crustius Maximus

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have the Trek 4500...but if that deal had been sitting right next to mine on the showroom floor I would have hit it instead.

I'm telling you this Trek bike is a hog...it takes everything I can throw at it and it's always ready to roll.

I was a bit hard on tubes when I first started...mainly because I thought I could jump over everything in my path. It took a while for my skills to catch up to my enthusiasm.

Other than that nothing has broken...and I've had several good wrecks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That is good to hear, I looked at the 4500, I personally do not see much of a difference, but I def, look forward to hitting the outside on my new bike!

IT seems like everyone hear says go ahead and get it. I have not heard a single bad thing from this forum about the trek. Only thing I have heard in reviews is something about the derauilers....(mis-spelled)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ranger, If you haven't found a helmet yet check Amazon for Giro rift. The white one is $39. Has good reviews too.

also check jensonusa, outxider got a different Giro from them for same price.

Fisher Fanattic
    Mar 2010
    Contrats and I hope you get the bike and all your gear home soon. I know I was so excited after I got my bike. I ride the heck out of it and its over a year later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I bought a 2011 (supposedly) 3700 Disc for 419 from a local bike shop in Damascus. Been to Schaeffer Farms in Germantown, MD and went on the White Trail. The group that I was with was pretty new so we took our time. The bike did great for what we did. I am not sold on the tires though and will be searching around this site for some options on upgrades.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KtigerJ
    I bought a 2011 (supposedly) 3700 Disc for 419 from a local bike shop in Damascus. Been to Schaeffer Farms in Germantown, MD and went on the White Trail. The group that I was with was pretty new so we took our time. The bike did great for what we did. I am not sold on the tires though and will be searching around this site for some options on upgrades.
    you sure?

i don't think the 2011s are even out yet and the 2010 3700 did not have a disc option (3900 did).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That's what the guy told me when I picked it up. He said they weren't due out for awhile but I don't remember the exact date he mentioned. I will post pic's when I get them but I am sure it's a white/red 19.5 inch 3700 with front/rear disc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That's what the guy told me when I picked it up. He said they weren't due out for awhile but I don't remember the exact date he mentioned. I will post pic's when I get them but I am sure it's a white/red 19.5 inch 3700 with front/rear disc.
    Hello all, first post here. I saw the new 2011 this past weekend at Shaeffer Farm. Talking with the owner of the bike, he seemed very pleased with purchase and overall quality of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Marc32 ... I was at Schaeffer Farms on Sunday at around 9am and have a White/Red/Black 2011 Trek 3700 Disc. I am very happy with it from the rigid I used to have years ago. The front shock is a little too bouncy for my taste but that can be solved with $$ right? haha. I hope to have pic's up soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey all - Got some pic's so here they are ... Hopefully that comes across. Let me know if not.

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:122px;height:137px;padding:0;backgrou nd-color:#fcfcfc;" src="http://cid-3d7ce11af65edefd.photos.live.com/embedalbum.aspx/Bike"></iframe>

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Marc32 ... I was at Schaeffer Farms on Sunday at around 9am and have a White/Red/Black 2011 Trek 3700 Disc. I am very happy with it from the rigid I used to have years ago. The front shock is a little too bouncy for my taste but that can be solved with $$ right? haha. I hope to have pic's up soon.
    KtigerJ, Were you in the white jeep? I was there about the same time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by marc32
    KtigerJ, Were you in the white jeep? I was there about the same time.

Marc .... sure was. I have the Trek 3700 and my brother has the black GF Utopia. We are heading back down there on Saturday, pending the weather. We will most likely be sticking to the white trail though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey all - Got some pic's so here they are ... Hopefully that comes across. Let me know if not.

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:122px;height:137px;padding:0;backgrou nd-color:#fcfcfc;" src="http://cid-3d7ce11af65edefd.photos.live.com/embedalbum.aspx/Bike"></iframe>
    ktigerj....we will def cross paths.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    sweet bike. I love the color scheme. It matches the 2010 on their website. How much more did it cost for the handle bars you added?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flashme18
    sweet bike. I love the color scheme. It matches the 2010 on their website. How much more did it cost for the handle bars you added?
    They are just Bontrager Bar Ends. About 15 bucks online. They make going up hills a little easier. Thanks.
    The obscure we see eventually, the completely apparent takes longer. (Edward R. Murrow)

Members who have read this thread: 0