I need tips, will this parts replace my bikes original parts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016

I need tips, will this parts replace my bikes original parts

I need tips, will this parts replace my bikes original parts-win_20161116_16_07_57_pro.jpgI need tips, will this parts replace my bikes original parts-win_20161115_16_33_47_pro.jpgI need tips, will this parts replace my bikes original parts-win_20161115_16_33_07_pro.jpgI need tips, will this parts replace my bikes original parts-win_20161115_16_32_54_pro.jpg
    I have a Schwinn 700c, 7 gears on back and 3 in front, i want to replace the front and rear Derailleur
    , and the crank set. My rear derailer is Shimano Tourney tx35 and front is probably a Schwinn . Tell me if thesw parts will fit,
    shimano Altus FD-M311 Dual Bottom Front Derailleur and Shimano Altus Rear Derailleur - Direct Mount - RDM310 and Shimano Altus 7/8 Speed Mountain Bicycle Crankset - Black - FC-M311. Also since im new with bikes , please tell me what direct mount. Please ( Idk if it helps but the front Derailleur has a mount)

What type of mount is my rear derailleur?
    Last edited by leosbike; 11-16-2016 at 02:09 PM. Reason: adding pic

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What is wrong with the stock parts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I rode mountain bike trail and its not changing gears smoothly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    please help

Don't know if the parts will interchange, but I can answer the "Direct Mount" question. Direct Mount means there is no clamp supplied with the front derailleur because it's intended to mount to a bracket permanently affixed (welded) to the bike frame. I can't tell from the picture if your current derailleur can be separated from the mounting clamp, if so, that might work. If it's a one-piece unit (the clamp and derailleur are not separate components) you'd need to buy an adapter. The rear should work so long as your gearing is within range (typically derailleurs have a maximum rear gear limit and a range limit). The range limit is the largest front and rear gear (total number of teeth) minus the smallest front and rear gear total number of teeth. Or in other words, if you went from needing the most chain to needing the least chain, what would be the difference in chain length. No idea about the cranks, sorry.

Rollin' a fatty
    Try going to at least Deore instead, not much of an upgrade from Tourney to Altus.

Hard to see from the pics but your front mech is high clamp (aka bottom swing), a direct mount will not work.

This article is good so you can identify what you got, SRAM and Shimano front derailleur types and mounts explained - BikeRadar USA

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Dirt Devil , the Atlus Front Derailleur is a dual bottom and
    * 7/8 speed design
    *Down swing design (conventional pivot)
    *Multi-clamp to fit 28.6-34.9mm frames
    *Multi-pull design Total gear teeth: 48

the rear derailleur is a direct mount not front

Will it work

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The front Atlus is bottom swing

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Have you had the existing drivetrain adjusted yet, i.e. cable tightening, hi-lo on RD, adjust on FD, chain check/clean/lube? Unclear if you necessarily need new components.

Rollin' a fatty
    Quote Originally Posted by leosbike View Post
    Dirt Devil , the Atlus Front Derailleur is a dual bottom and
    * 7/8 speed design
    *Down swing design (conventional pivot)
    *Multi-clamp to fit 28.6-34.9mm frames
    *Multi-pull design Total gear teeth: 48

the rear derailleur is a direct mount not front

Will it work
    The front is a bottom swing also known as high clamp that can handle rings up to 48 teeth, can be used on frames pulling the cable from the top or bottom and can be used on different size seat tubes using shims, the rear attaches to the frame with a bolt just like most rear mechs.

Before spending money take it to a shop and have it adjusted.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Dirt Devil, i just want an upgrade for my bike. Its a hybrid bike but i want to put mountain components on it. Also buying schwable cx comp tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    took a clear pic of rear derailleur.

Cycologist
    Just throwing this out as a possibility, if you were trying to switch gears while pedaling uphill with the drivetrain under load, it won't change gears smoothly. You need to change prior to the climb and let off on the downforce for a second if shifting while climbing.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Throwing money at something rarely works when comes to fixing something. A better description of the problems would help . Have you tried any adjustments ,replaced the cables and housings?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The bike was fixed by grandpa, it shifts perfect but just want my hybrid bike to have more mountain bike components.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    ... its not changing gears smoothly.
    ... it shifts perfect ...
    I have to admit, you're not making it easy for us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What is it that you think will happen if you change the parts? If you think it will make that bike more trail worthy ,it won't. That bike wasn't make for riding off road ,it was made to ride paved paths and roads,and a little dirt road. You want a mountain bike ,get one ,cheaper in the long run.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The trails in florida are smooth and with dirt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    That was yesterday, i was desperate. he fixed it but i want parts that are more durable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's going to be a lot cheaper if you just buy a used mountain bike. Figure $100 and grandpa can tune it up. Boom! more durable, safer, and you now have two bikes!

If you let me know your height and a general area in florida I bet we can find you something great for the same cost of upgrading your bike.