I just cant figure this out, why??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I just cant figure this out, why??

Hey guys, I have read it many times, seen pics of the bikes that have it but cant figure out why people would have it. Why do some people have single speed bikes?? What are the adv of this?? besided saving weight and cost isnt it a pita to go up a steep hill and such? I hope this isnt a retarded question, jsut cant figure it out.

thanks
    Ralph

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    post this in the single speed forum and you will get some great responses...From what i have heard, it could be for the training...better climbing skills im sure, and for the fun of it. Im sure at first the hill are a PITA, but when you become better at the whole single speed/keep momentom up deal; they are less of a hassle. Hopefully that will open the door to some better answers

Old man on a bike

I built one for fun mostly, but I don't ride it

all that much as I'm just not strong enough to use it in most of the places I ride. However, the advantages are building better skills, particularly strength/climbing skills and using your bike efficiently (keeping momentum). Having a simpler bike does it for some, especially easier to keep going in muddy conditions (no derailleurs to foul). Being lighter does it for some. It's purer. It's got stud rights. Lots of reasons. Old old school. Whatever you want out of it. Try it sometime....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't own one, but lots of my friends do. All the reasons already listed are benefits, but I think the overwhelming "reason" is to get back to basics.

No chain slap, no skipping derailleur, no broken D-hangers, no gunk in your shifter cables, no shifting for every little change in grade. (and a nice clean handlebar) In other words, "just get out and ride". For those that are passionate about SS, it seems that they get closer to the experience of a kid riding a bike. Just pedaling and having fun, not worrying about a bunch of techno-crap.

I want to try it, just waiting to have an extra $100 around to buy an old frame up and use some spare parts from 'the bin'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks guys for the responses. It does make alot of sense but damn you must be in good shape! Not only the that but it is obviously alot less money to build one to. Maybe in the future when I get good at it I will go that route.

thanks
    Ralph

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

The Answer

it's not that they're cheaper, though that's a good thing.
    it's not that they're lighter, though that's a good thing.
    it's not that they're way lower maintenance, though that's a very good reason to ride one in sloppy conditions.
    it's not for "training" as someone suggested, though it would be a good thing. People who "train" are sick misguided Nazis; people who Ride have the Clue.

The answer is: Bigger Challenge, Bigger Fun.

If the concept of making your mountain bike rides harder seems weird bizarre sick and wrong to you, then you have not progressed to the point that you require a Bigger Challenge. Keep riding and maybe some day you will.

And when you master singlespeed, there's always Fixed Gear MTBing waiting in the wings to kick yer butt.

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    And when you master singlespeed, there's always Fixed Gear MTBing waiting in the wings to kick yer butt.
    Oh, man....fixie mtb - sounds way too painful for my old decrepit knees....hehheh

Jabberwocky Jockey
    As already mentioned, one big draw of the singlespeed is the challenge. I have been on one for 3 years now and I am riding trails that I thought would be impossible when I first started s/sing. After riding the s/s for awhile, you fitness level goes way up and that's addictive too.

Riding a fully rigid singlespeed makes old trails new again and really improves your riding skills. For example, you learn to pick smooth lines through rough trails and you learn to stay off of the brakes. Momentum is your friend. You also learn how to apply power smoothly i.e. riding a slick climb without spinning.

Singlespeeds are much easier to maintain than geared bikes. It's simple - no gears, no cables, no shocks to pump up or leak. Just lube the chain every now and then and air up the tires. Great if your rides get sloppy from time to time.

Again, as mentioned already, hang out some in the Singlespeed forum and check out the action there. Be sure to read the FAQ too.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    "It's simple - no gears, no cables, no shocks to pump up or leak. Just lube the chain every now and then and air up the tires. Great if your rides get sloppy from time to time".

You guys dont have a front shock either>>? or some guys do with s/s setup and some guys dont? also, you guys go fast with the single speed?? meaning, I dont know what gear you guys use so when you are moving fast if you try to pedal is it like still a heavy pedal so you can go faster?? Might sound strange, hope you guys understand.

thanks
    Ralph

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by GNfanatic
    "It's simple - no gears, no cables, no shocks to pump up or leak. Just lube the chain every now and then and air up the tires. Great if your rides get sloppy from time to time".

You guys dont have a front shock either>>? or some guys do with s/s setup and some guys dont? also, you guys go fast with the single speed?? meaning, I dont know what gear you guys use so when you are moving fast if you try to pedal is it like still a heavy pedal so you can go faster?? Might sound strange, hope you guys understand.

thanks
    Ralph
    I could never see my self on an ss. my HT can be an ss if i decide not to change gears. I've tried that and it is sort of fun, but i do believe that some hills require gears. Although it is surprising sometimes what you can climb without touching the shifters. just don't worry about it too much.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

gentle like
    I just ride better on my SS than I ever did with gears.

Especially through tricky and technical sections, you get to concentrate entirely on riding and the flow, as you have no choice ... you're always in the right gear. Gears always distracted me, or the chain bounced off, or my derailleurs wouldn't shift clean and I'd lose it.

It's not for everyone, but if you're interested, give it a shot. First time I tried it - even though I didn't ride all that great - I knew it was for me.

Plus you get big awesome legs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the reply guys. In the near future I am going to build one afetr my Burner is finished. I think I will like it.

thanks again
    Ralph