I am 6 foot, what size bike frame do I need?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I am 6 foot, what size bike frame do I need?

I am looking at a 17 inch frame that a guy in my neighborhood is selling. Its a stumpjumpper and in good condition, but is the 17 inch frame ok for me?

mtbr member

Probably too small

Probably too small, but you could give it a test ride,and then test ride a 19" or Large at your LBS and compare the feel. Getting a bike that fits is extremely important otherwise you won't ride it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Dont some people like riding smaller frames for the purpose of more response?

mtbr member
    I am 6' and have a 17.5" IH Warrior, with a 110mm stem it feels good and I enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Gilles
    6'1'' and I ride a 20" Jamis. Everyone told me to look at 18'' bikes but the 20'' feels great and I can ride for a long period of time. I'm not saying to buy a 20'' but what I am saying is try a few bikes out at LBS and you'll know the minute you get on. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i am 6 foot in ride a 18" it really is about you and how long your legs are stand of the bike and if there is more than 3" between you and the bike it is to small if there is less than 1" it is to tall

mtbr member
    i am 6,3 and ride a 19 inch,if most of your riding is xc or all mountain a bigger bike will be more comftarble,and better for longer distances.

if your doing allsorts of riding though a smaller bike would be better,as long as you dont mind on longer rides and i wouldnt go any bigger than say the 18 inch.

but test ride the 17 and see how it feels and how much adjustment there is on the seatpost,when fully extended there should be at least 100mm or 4 inches of seat post left in the frame.

dont forget that people have different inside leg measurements,mine is 34-35 thats why i ride a 19 inch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    As mentioned above, leg measurement is important. A short top tube can be dealt with by getting a longer stem, and adjusting the seat back. Still, chances are you'd be better off with a larger frame. 17" Specialized bikes have always felt really small to me. Ride a few different brands before buying.

As nice as a Stumpjumper will be to ride, a Rockhopper that fits will give you a better ride.

pronounced may-duh
    I say you could fit anywhere between an 18 and a 22. 17 is probably too small. 18 may also be a bit small. a 22 may be a bit big. but you must try before you buy to see what works.

I'm 5'10"and feel comfy on anything from 18 to 21.

Members who have read this thread: 1