Hydrolic Disc Brakes and Taking Off Your Tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Hydrolic Disc Brakes and Taking Off Your Tires

Reading the sticky thread about maintanence, it says to place a piece of "think carboard" between your brakes, just in case someone (or yourself) accidentally presses down on the brake lever.

How thick must the cardboard be? I haven't taken my tires off yet because I'm affraid I may accidentally squeeze the brake lever. However, it's enevitable, I will have to take the tires off some day. Any tips or tricks to make sure I don't bust my brakes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I never worry about it. Just take the tyre off.

mtbr member
    Your lbs should have spacers, otherwise take a normal piece of cardboard and double it over. This goes into the one of those things you will get away without doing a thousand times, then at the worst possible time it'll get ya catagory. Prying brakepads apart is a huge PITA.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Matches Malone
    Reading the sticky thread about maintanence, it says to place a piece of "think carboard" between your brakes, just in case someone (or yourself) accidentally presses down on the brake lever.

How thick must the cardboard be? I haven't taken my tires off yet because I'm affraid I may accidentally squeeze the brake lever. However, it's enevitable, I will have to take the tires off some day. Any tips or tricks to make sure I don't bust my brakes?
    I don't worry about it either.

But if you do want to put a spacer between the pads, make sure it's as least as thick as the brake rotor.

EDR
    I take my tire off almost evertime I ride. Never worry about it, never sqeezed the brake.
    If you do squeeze the brake it takes like 2 minutes (on most brakes) to remove the pads, push the pistons back, re-insert the pads, sqeeze the lever a few times and then go ride.

Worrying about it will make it happen, lol.

EDR
    Hey, while working on my bike tonight I came across two Hayes brake shims used for shipping (and for what you are talking about). I never used them but being the packrat that I am apparently I saved them. They are yours if you want. Just send a self addressed stamped envelope. PM me if you want them......

mtbr member
    I never worry about mine. I have had the wheel off and squeezed the lever before, a bunch actually.

I just stick a flathead screwdriver in between the pads as best I can and then twist to spread the pads apart. It takes about, oh, 10 seconds before I'm on my way. Maybe it's just me brakes (4 yr old Shimano Deore hydros) that are this easy to deal with though.

Members who have read this thread: 0