hydration packs- Mtbr.com

Thread: hydration packs

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

hydration packs

When choosing a hydration pack, is it best to go with one that has a see-through tube to see if you can spot any mold growing inside the tubes? I see lots of ones that come with opaque tubes.
    Granny gear lover

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've never had mold grow in mine that I know of. Just make sure when you're done riding you open up the container and hang it with the valve open so that the water can drip out. I wouldn't let the fear of mold impact your decision on color. Search for the best price.

Here's a link to the camelbak sit that shows what to do if mold happens to grow
    http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recre...reservoir.aspx

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Store it in the fridge when you're not using it.

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Buy one that suits your need from Wal-Mart. "Outdoor products" brand. (not listed on thier website)

They have a see through tube, are well designed & work great. They are available in several sizes W/& W/O hydration packs, but almost all will accept the hydration baldder.

Buy 1 W/the hydration baldder & more in variuous sizes W/O the baldder to suit your needs. Swap the baldder into whatever backpack you will need for the occassion.

Store the 1/2 full bladder in the freezer. Make sure to blow it up W/air to keep the water that will freeze away from the fill spout & exit tube. Lay it level to assuer this.

Pour hot tap water obver the spout to make removal easier, let the air out & fill it W/water before your ride. Blow it up W/air before you leave & after every drink to keep water out of the tube so that you get fresh cold water W/every sip.

The ice will keep your back cool & the liquid water cold.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Aqueous sodium hypochlorite (aka common household bleach) is an antimicrobial marvel. A little of it goes a loooong way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Don't worry about the color of your tube. Just make tube cleaning a regular thing and you will be fine. Avoid well water and any "addatives" to help keep your bladder fresh. Tap water is best, unless you live someplace like Jacksonville, FL!

If you haven't grown anything in your tube, you haven't use a bladder long enough! Fill it and it will grow.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Clean it? Mine gets refilled so often I dont think anything has time to grow

For the record only water is used in mine

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for all your tips. After I use it and rinse it out, should I put it in the freezer right away or let it dry out and then put it in the freezer?
    Granny gear lover

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by John K.
    Thanks for all your tips. After I use it and rinse it out, should I put it in the freezer right away or let it dry out and then put it in the freezer?
    Quote Originally Posted by XCSKIBUM
    Store the 1/2 full bladder in the freezer. Make sure to blow it up W/air to keep the water that will freeze away from the fill spout & exit tube. Lay it level to assuer this.

Pour hot tap water obver the spout to make removal easier, let the air out & fill it W/water before your ride. Blow it up W/air before you leave & after every drink to keep water out of the tube so that you get fresh cold water W/every sip.

The ice will keep your back cool & the liquid water cold.

Do as above, you might want to wipe off the outside, but I never concerned myself W/that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by K3N
    Clean it? Mine gets refilled so often I dont think anything has time to grow

For the record only water is used in mine
    Part of my problem is I have alot of Camelbaks, 7 currently, for various reasons/purposes. Some bladders get used more than others. Some bladders get filtered mountain stream water in them. I cleaned one of my 100 oz bladders last week. The stuff that came out of the tube was BLACK. All it takes is an warm afternoon in the back of the car while you eat pizza to kick things off.

Yes, I clean my tubes.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

Class Clown
    i use a deuter bag and put filtered water in it. i'll rinse it out in the sink before i fill it up and wash it occasionally. sometimes it sits around with some water in it, never had an issue with mold. it is blue-clear which i like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Rod
    Part of my problem is I have alot of Camelbaks, 7 currently, for various reasons/purposes. Some bladders get used more than others. Some bladders get filtered mountain stream water in them. I cleaned one of my 100 oz bladders last week. The stuff that came out of the tube was BLACK. All it takes is an warm afternoon in the back of the car while you eat pizza to kick things off.

Yes, I clean my tubes.
    Did this one that black stuff came out of happen to be a clear tube or an opaque tube?
    Granny gear lover

mtbr member
    May 2009
    When I get back from a ride I just chuck it in the freezer and that's it. No need for cleaning tabs or funky drying device's or hanger's.

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by pamt
    When I get back from a ride I just chuck it in the freezer and that's it. No need for cleaning tabs or funky drying device's or hanger's.
    Absolutely correct, everyone is making this a lot more complicated than neccessary although the cautions about what kind of water is used to fill the bag are valid. I use well water that has been through a RO filter.

If you make sure that there is just enough water to NOT cover the outlet & lay the bag flat in the freezer after inflating it through the mouthpiece, it will insure that you can get flow after the bag is topped off for the next ride.

The solid chunk of ice will last for hours even in summer heat. I always inflate the bag after filling & after every sip on the road. Just pinch the mouthpiece & blow until you hear/feel air bubbling into the bag & you will always have a cold, fresh drink when you bite the mouthpiece. There will not be water in the tube until you bite the mouthpiece. The slight air pressure in the bladder will then push cold, fresh water through the tube when the mouthpiece is squeezed so you won't have to "suck".

The solid chunk of ice against your back is also a nice feature on hot days.

It will also keep a couple of 24oz Labatt Blue Lites cold for quite some time whne they are carried next to the icey cold bladder.

Cantankerous Old Fart
    If you want a good, functional hydration pack W/O spendimg a lot of $$$$$, you can find one of these @ your local discount store. I bought mine @ Wally World for less than $30.

https://www.outdoorproducts.com/Products/mist/94

This particular model comes W/a good hydration bladder & has a clip on the left strap to hold the mouthpiece & tube in the proper place for easy access while riding. It is just the right size to carry my shock pump, cable lock, folding saw, pruning shears as well as gloves, socks, light jacket, etc. (it will carry a couple of 24oz beers next to the ice cold bladder in warm weather when I don't need the jacket)

I use this larger model, again purchased from Wally World for XC skiing. It does not come W/the bladder, but it has the clip & internal pocket for the water bag.It is large enough to carry more provisions. This larger pack is just a few $$$ more than the other since it does not include the bladder. (it IS hydration bladder ready)

https://www.outdoorproducts.com/Products/morph/8

Last edited by XCSKIBUM; 04-20-2011 at 07:52 AM.

29er for life!!
    i keep my hydropak in the freezer when not in use...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Wow, I just stick to water, and throw the pack it in the closet when I am done. Every few months it gets a rinse with water and bleach.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Go to the camel back web site they have a little video on Care of your bladder.
    http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recre...duct-Care.aspx

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Wow, I just stick to water, and throw the pack it in the closet when I am done. Every few months it gets a rinse with water and bleach.
    Me too.

Still New
    Speaking of water and hydration packs, what are your thoughts on natural water resources such as creeks, small streams and water running of the edges of cliffs as a drinking source? Good resources to fill your water bottle or bad news for a host of bacteria and illness?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Did this one that black stuff came out of happen to be a clear tube or an opaque tube?
    Opaque tube.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini9
    Speaking of water and hydration packs, what are your thoughts on natural water resources such as creeks, small streams and water running of the edges of cliffs as a drinking source? Good resources to fill your water bottle or bad news for a host of bacteria and illness?
    Natural sources are always a risk. I am regularly in remote areas and must fill from springs and creeks. I always use a filter in those situations. There are a few springs I know flowing out of granite cliff sides. I know there is nothing upstream to pollute them and will drink directly. But for the most part your are rolling the dice. As far as your hydration bladder is concerned natural unfiltered water is highly risky.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ditto use a filtration system. Its not worth the risk. We do alot of hikes and carry a lot of water and aback up filtration system.

Still New
    Filtration. Good idea. I assume it's not wise to use iodine tablets in a bladder, but might be useful for a bottle. Anybody ever use those? Saw them the other day but that stuff probably tastes awful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by XCSKIBUM
    If you want a good, functional hydration pack W/O spendimg a lot of $$$$$, you can find one of these @ your local discount store. I bought mine @ Wally World for less than $30.

https://www.outdoorproducts.com/Products/mist/94

This particular model comes W/a good hydration bladder & has a clip on the left strap to hold the mouthpiece & tube in the proper place for easy access while riding. It is just the right size to carry my shock pump, cable lock, folding saw, pruning shears as well as gloves, socks, light jacket, etc. (it will carry a couple of 24oz beers next to the ice cold bladder in warm weather when I don't need the jacket)

I use this larger model, again purchased from Wally World for XC skiing. It does not come W/the bladder, but it has the clip & internal pocket for the water bag.It is large enough to carry more provisions. This larger pack is just a few $$$ more than the other since it does not include the bladder. (it IS hydration bladder ready)

https://www.outdoorproducts.com/Products/morph/8

Thanks for the recommendation for the Outdoor Products line. I got an Outdoor Products "Iceberg," a nice little bag with a 2L reservoir, on sale for 19.99 at Big 5 Sporting Goods. If it gets the job done, no reason to shell out big $ for a Camelbak.
    Granny gear lover

Still New
    Wanted to bump this rather than start a whole new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Rod
    I always use a filter in those situations.
    Fly Rod mentioned a "filter" and had researched it a bit. Found a few water bottles with filters but I have no idea if they would fit in a water bottle cage on the bike.

Anybody have any experience with these things or similar products? Be nice to be able to fill from natural streams/creeks:

Clear2Go Water Bottle

Bobble BPA Free Water Bottle

Members who have read this thread: 0