mtbr member

how to swap my roadie for a mtb

i went to some mtb trails with a friend and his mtb the other day, but i took my road bike (07 GT Legato 3.0) and it was really rough-going on the trails. no jumps, just a narrow path through the woods on soft dirt and rocks. i would like to start riding trails like this more often, but i need a suitable bike.

i have three options so far

1. terrible idea. nevermind.

2. sell my Legato and buy this bike:

it's a Gunnar Rockhound (really nice high-end custom frame) with a single-speed setup. this would basically be a really big bmx bike. i think i can make enough money off my Legato to buy this.

3. trade my Legato for this bike:
    nevermind, silly over-built bike.

4!) trade my bike or buy another bike that comes along. i have been searching Craigslist but not much else has come up.

i have been riding bmx street/skateparks for over 15 years, so i know a lot about bicycles in general, but mtb's is a new realm for me.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 01-06-2009 at 04:04 PM.

pronounced may-duh
    Don't try to make a road bike into a mtn bike.
    Don't try to make a dirt jump bike into a mtn bike.

Sell the road bike and buy a real mtn bike. The gunner sounds like a great bike. I prefer gears.

Here is what your road bike goes for new http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true Not sure if that will cover the cost of the gunner.

used can be a very good value.

mtbr member
    yeah, i thought that might sounds like a terrible idea. it was worth exploring the possibility though.

the jump bike is out. it's over-built for my purposes. even if he builds it on that Gary Fisher Wahoo frame, it might be just silly. i will have to wait.

the Gunnar is still a possibility. however, it's a 17" frame on a 29er, so it might be too tall for me. i can ride a 17" 26er, but the bigger wheels might make just enough of a difference. ideally, i would probably ride a 16" 26er. the Gunnar site says their 17.5" frames have a standover hieght of 31". i wear pants with a 30" inseam, and i wear my pants a little "low." i don't want to castrate myself. i will ask the owner to measure the actual standover hieght.

also, according to bikepedia, the MSRP on my bike was $699.99, so i don't know who to trust. i was hoping to sell it for about $300, which would be enough to buy another decent used mtb. if i have to spend more than that, i am just going to go bike-less because i don't have any spare cash to spend on a bike, just whatever i can get in a trade or sale.

Bicyclist
    Mar 2008
    Road bicycle converted to a mountain bicycle? I guess anything is possible... but road bicycles are not built as "hefty" as mountain bicycles. I'm just guessing but the weak link would end up probably being the forks.

I think you would be much much happier riding a mountain bicycle as a mountain bicycle.
    Keep in mind you can always put slicks on a mountain bicycle for the road rides. I actually even ride a lot of trails with slicks. Obviously not the slippery muddy stuff though.

mtbr member
    i guess what i had in mind was converting it to a cyclocross bike and riding trails on it. cyclocross bikes go through hell, but it would probably ultimately suck, which is why i have given up that idea. it would be a shameful way to ruin a perfectly good road bike.

yeah, road bikes have proven themselves to be not my cup of tea. i want dirt. so i need to find a way to sell my Legato (it's already on Craigslist) or trade it for a decent mtb. easier said than done. i think i need a 15-17" mtb and i might be able to get $300 for my legato. i am down for used bikes. what are my options to get started?

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/bik/

pronounced may-duh
    Don't buy a bike that doesn't fit.

An entry level new mtn bike will cost 400 and up. With 300.00 to spend you must go used. Time to start working the craigslist!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    the Gunnar is still a possibility. however, it's a 17" frame on a 29er, so it might be too tall for me...
    blah, blah, blah, i'm an idiot. it's a 26" bike with a 16" frame, so it should be fine for me. for some reason i got it in my head that this was a 29er. duh. as soon as i can scrape the cash together, this bike is mine.

Members who have read this thread: 0