How to raise handlebars- Mtbr.com

Jun 2006

How to raise handlebars

The steerer tube on my forks is short and doesn't allow me to add any spacers. I like my handlebars even with my seat. How can I get my handlebars up higher. I don't see any stems with any real rise to them. The tallest riser handlebar I've found is 2".

MTJ

Feb 2004

A few choices

The first choice, most obvious and most expensive, is a new fork. That gives you a brand new uncut steerer and you can keep it as long as you want. But that's probably not realistic.

Second is a high rise stem. You can get a stem with like a 40 degree rise that will pick the bar way up: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Third is an adapter that plugs on top of your steer tube, effectively extending the steer tube: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename= I don't think I'd trust this one for off-roading though, I's just one more piece that can break. But if you primarily ride bike paths or low-impact trails it might be just fine.

(BTW, Nashbar isn't the only place to get these things, I put those links in there just so you could see pictures.)

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun.

No good in rock gardens..
    A combination of taller stem and / or riser bars.
    Less isn't MOAR

Jan 2004

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    A combination of taller stem and / or riser bars.
    A taller stem? That'll only work if there's enough of the steerer tube protruding from the head tube for a safe fit.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    A taller stem? That'll only work if there's enough of the steerer tube protruding from the head tube for a safe fit.
    One with more rise was what I meant 10 degree, 15 degree etc.
    Less isn't MOAR

Members who have read this thread: 0