How to get the most of my Trek Ex 5- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

How to get the most of my Trek Ex 5

Hey everyone Im new to this Mountain biking thing only been riding a couple weeks and wow I love it! Cant even stop thinking about it anymore. Anyways I bought a Gary Fisher wahoo disc and took it back after I decided I wanted a full suspension bike. I went with the 2010 Trek Fuel ex 5 and I absolutely love it! I guess my question is should I upgrade it to make it lighter or just buy a new bike next year? I dont wanna have to keep buying bikes and would love to build this one if this is at all possible? What can I do to make it all around better and lighter, the bike is heavy as hell! Some advice for a rookie would be greatly appreciated thanks guys! Also what the best place to ride around the littleton area, i like bear creek lake park but havent been anywhere else. Thanks again, Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Trek Fuel Ex 5 that is

Sorry

mtbr member
    the ex 5 is a nice bike, i would say ride the hell out of it, and replace ?upgrade aprts that wear out, if the bike is still too heavy then start saving money to get a lighter bike
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ya i just keep looking up prices to upgrade it and it would be financially smarter just to get a new bike maybe next summer rather then buy parts for this one, i think ill do the fuel 8 next maybe! But I love it, i guess im worried im gonna break it but i think ill be ok haha

mtbr member
    my buddie rides a fuel ex 5.5, he really likes it, but he is also extremely careful when he rides, and ends up walking a lot of rought terrain as to not damage the shocks, lol , we give him **** all the time about. but it is an awesome bike, good thing aout the fuel ex is that its an all mountain bike so after you ride it for a while and develop your style , youll know if your next bike should be more on xc side or more on the freeride side
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    its forsure a nice bike and i would doubt you will be breaking it any time soon... but it has been proven time and time again its usually always cheaper to spend up front then upgrade later. I have the EX 8 and its a amazing bike but i've started to upgrade it already so maybe you will want the parts i decide to replace?
    Current Rides:
    Trek Stache

mtbr member
    As I was told when I started and got my first nice bike - Ride it like you stole it and replace parts when they break or wear out OR if you find a REALLY killer deal and still then put it away until something breaks just kidding on that part, if you get a killer deal on a part swap it out for the old part and throw that aside as a spare.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'd love to buy your parts from your ex 8 that would be awesome. Let me know when the time comes, I'm thinking about just buying a stumpjumper or the Roscoe In a few months and upgrading that way

rollin
    Oct 2009
    Dude are they hiring where you work? I plan on my bike having a 5-7 year lifespan...not 5-7months

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Lol hey I do ok for myself but I don't plan on having this bike for even a year thought that was average. I figure I'll break it it by June anyways. Plus I'm always in need of upgrading so buying a new bike in a couple months then selling this one seemed reasonable

meow meow
    dude a fuel is to heavy? dont expect an xc race bike when you buy a full squish trail bike.

mtbr member
    For me its harder to shell out a big amount of money at one time where at... upgrading little by little its easier since its not 2000$ all at once

I did the same thing as you, bought a Motobecane Fantom trail last year but then decided I really would like a fs.

This year I bought a nice frame (Marin Mount Vision 5.8) which I heard they are pretty nice frames a new front shock to get away from the horrid Dart 3 and I'm going to move all my stuff from the Moto to this and when I save more money gonna upgrade slowly better wheelset/lighter, brakes, drive train etc

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That's not a bad idea I think my frame is pretty good tho relatively light as well. And b kul I asked how to lighten it up didn't say it was too heavy my man. But that's a thought i'm thinkin I could just get a nice fox fork and maybe upgrade the brakes to start. like i said I'm new to this and am just looking for some advice on lightening it up that's a good call piecing it together as well I think I'll do that.

mtbr member
    I dont know what for you have but a nice Fox Fork will deff make it lighter. Also I don't know what kind of wheel's it has but from what I've been reading wheels are the very heavy on cheaper bikes so changing to better wheels that might help a lot to.

Not an expert, still new to all this but this is from what I've been reading here on the forums

Members who have read this thread: 0