Site Owner

How do I pump up my front forks?

Am I missing something obvious?

Newish model Rock shox SID racing fork, car valve, and will only go to 40psi with a car foot pump.

What is the procedure and do I need an actual fork pump?

Thanks
    Andrew

Tool
    Get a shock pump. Your first inflation will take a while because a shock pump is designed to get a small volume to a high pressure with more precision. After that, you should only have to make minor adjustments.

Good luck.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by StageHand View Post
    Get a shock pump. Your first inflation will take a while because a shock pump is designed to get a small volume to a high pressure with more precision. After that, you should only have to make minor adjustments.

Good luck.
    ^^^
    This...

Shock pumps will pump to about 300psi...
    See if your local shop will pump it up for you for free!

Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Site Owner
    Cool like fonzy.

Thanks for answering so quick, I thought I best ask before I purchased a pump I did not need, though it seems I do need one!

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
    Cool like fonzy.

Thanks for answering so quick, I thought I best ask before I purchased a pump I did not need, though it seems I do need one!
    No prob...

You should be able to buy a pump for like $10-$15...
    You'll need it every once in a while like when the temp changes significantly... You'll also start to lose pressure slowly as your seals start to wear out.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    THanks!!

I4NI
    Cool like fonzy.

AAAAa!

had the same issue, forks should come with pumps
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    You might want to do a little more digging on the exact model and year of your fork. Many RockShox forks have two air chambers. It's likely you have another valve underneath one of your fork legs.

The SRAM Corp website has really helpful tech videos and downloadable owner's manuals for the last several years' products. I strongly recommend checking it out. They have some great instructions on how to maximize your suspension's performance.

Site Owner
    Thanks v. Much for the heads up. The fork with the valve on top with the +air has a _( minus) air valve at the bottom. Will this need pumping too?

I will look up the Manual/instructions today.

Rgds.

Site Owner
    Ok, found the correct info for dual air rock shox. http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/pv...4160_rev_a.pdf

I love learning new things. This forum is fantastic for advice.

mtbr member
    Glad you figured it out. Also, don't forget to set your rebound damping speed. I think on a SID, it might be under one of the fork legs. On a lot of forks, it's on top of one of the legs. Either way, just look for a red knob. Turn it fully clockwise into the fork. This is your slowest rebound setting. Now turn the knob counter-clockwise six clicks (you will feel the "clicks" as you turn the knob). Hop around on your fork and really pay attention to how fast it bounces back after it takes a hit. You want it to bounce back as quickly as possible without it kicking back too much. If it feels like a pogo stick or like it's bucking, then your rebound is too fast, so adjust it a click or two clockwise to slow it down.

This is an adjustment that many people overlook. It can make a big difference in very technical sections.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    On the fork its self should be a sticker that has a weight range and a recommended PSI level. Using that chart on the fork should get you to 20% sag.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

Site Owner
    cheers.
    Yep, rebound from tortoise to hare, and psi levels on the fork leg.

One last question. there is a 'gate' knob on the lockout, what does this do?

~Disc~Golf~
    cheers.
    Yep, rebound from tortoise to hare, and psi levels on the fork leg.

One last question. there is a 'gate' knob on the lockout, what does this do?
    it works the same as a garage door opener for trails that pass through fenced property.

When coming up to the gate, simply flip the gate switch. This handy feature saves a lot of time/annoyance with having to dismount, deal with the gate and then start up again

Just remember to flip the switch back to the 'close' position as to not let out any sheep or cows or whatever lives in there
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Site Owner
    You just couldn't help yourself could you...
    Land of Our Fathers. Wales U.K

Members who have read this thread: 1