How do I keep my bike from being stolen/what is the most theft resistant lock?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

How do I keep my bike from being stolen/what is the most theft resistant lock?

I know the obvious--don't leave it in questionable places, remember the wheels, seat, etc., but if I had to lock and leave the bike--what is the most theft resistant lock to use?

I am in the Los Angeles area, and bike theft is pervasive. Don't even get me started on those scumbags...

I just saw a relatively thick lock that was cut from a stolen bike and it gave me pause. If they really want it, I'm sure they will find a way to get it. I would like to at least slow them down...

AZ
    banned
    If you dont want it stolen do not leave it anywhere , the best locks can be defeated in moments and the thieves know this .

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    If you don't want your bike stolen, move out of Los Angeles.

Seriously though, how good are these Kevlar locks? They look like an old school chain lock, but it's made from Kevlar apparently... Is a U-lock better or worse than this?

EDIT: And one good suggestion I saw somewhere was to use two different kinds of locks (i.e. chain lock and U-lock). The thief needs a different tool to break each of them, and it is highly unlikely that he will carry both around with him (or her). So, although a bit paranoid, there is a solution!

~Disc~Golf~
    NY Fahgettaboudit - they have a $4500 warranty
    Honestly... ahh I give up

the test dummy
    buy one with a high insurance rate and hope for the best. theirs a couple with like 4500 like highdell said, i think there is even higher ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Religion = Non-thinking
    I use a NY kryptonite lockwith a thick security cable for the wheels
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Has anyone tried to collect on the warrenty by Kriptonite? I would be interested to see how good they are at honoring their warrenty if your bike does get stolen.

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by MTLizzrd
    Has anyone tried to collect on the warrenty by Kriptonite? I would be interested to see how good they are at honoring their warrenty if your bike does get stolen.
    Ive been thinking about that as well. kinda tempted to lock a walgoose to a pole with a 5000 warranty on it and just wait.
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

~Disc~Golf~
    It's the replacement value of the bike so go for it

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    It's the replacement value of the bike so go for it
    joke
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If you have to ride a bike and lock in a questionable spot, best to get a beater for that duty. If you lock a nice bike up, they could just pick parts off of it one at a time.

meow meow
    used to use a kyrptonite u lock through the frame with an eight foot kryptonite cable wound through each wheel and the frame locked in the u lock. i took my seat inside and coverd the open tube with a peice of duct tape. worked fine at uvm but your results will vary.

keeping it dirty
    Even though Kryptonite has the "warranty" if your bike gets stolen you need to register ASAP and then send them the police report and the broken lock for them to consider it. Police report is no problem but sometimes you can't get the lock back..

When I had to lock my bike up in Chicago I used a Kryptonite New York u-lock for the frame and a "good" cable lock (no such thing, I know) for the wheels. I never left it for long periods of time, though. I know sometimes you don't have a choice but luckily I never had to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snovvman
    I know the obvious--don't leave it in questionable places, remember the wheels, seat, etc., but if I had to lock and leave the bike--what is the most theft resistant lock to use?

I am in the Los Angeles area, and bike theft is pervasive. Don't even get me started on those scumbags...

I just saw a relatively thick lock that was cut from a stolen bike and it gave me pause. If they really want it, I'm sure they will find a way to get it. I would like to at least slow them down...
    Had my seat jacked from my bike chained to a busy rail right in front of a busy Sprint glass store front and on the patio of the Starbucks that I worked at in Studio City. Both stores had high foot traffic and the bike did not have a quick release seat. Ballsy MFers. Nothing is safe in LA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Proposal: Open season on bike thieves!!

mtbr member
    I have been using OnGuard U lock on my bike around my college campus when I am in class. They come with a warranty like the others, but cost a little less I found. Thing with them is, you have to register your bike with the lock on-line (or by mail) and the insurance for bike replacement usually costs 5ish dollars per year.

-Brett

^ That's what I do
    Keep it inside.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (modified)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    the best hope to keep your bike safe is to make it LOOK like it is too much hassle to mess with. Kinda like a dog to guard your house, very easy to defeat but for most it LOOKS too hard. With my locking setup on my hitch rack, there is a fairly weak point but it takes a thinker to realize it. For most they just see two New York Noose chains with U-Locks and another pad lock, plus a hitch pin lock. People always look and say damn its bolted to the ground, which is exactly what I was going for.

Religion = Non-thinking
    i want to ride my "cheapo" $500 spec tricross singlecross to work and am able to check on it every 2-3 hours.

I'm still not going to. My area is way too dangerous and risky.

I even have a NY Kryptonite lock, 1 x 8mm thick security cable and can have my seat removed.
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Pay attention to whatever you are locking your bike to as well. When my old Diamondback MTB was stolen, the f'ers just took apart the rack and took my bike, locks and all. All of the fancy locks in the world don't mean a friggin thing if a thief can take apart the rack with a pair of slip joint pliers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm pretty lucky, I lock my bike up in front of the GLASS doors of my Police Foundations building.

mtbr member
    I heard a story on some news show a while back. Thieves typically carry a bolt cutter for chains or a hydraulic jack to force open U-locks - but not both. So the suggestion was to use both. Sort of what ataylor was saying. Also in the story was the observation that if you ride a 20 lb bike, you need 20 lbs of locks and chains to keep it from being stolen. A 30 pound bike only needs 10 lbs of locks and chains. A 40 lb bike doesn't need anything. So however you cut it, your riding 40 lbs of bike.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

~Disc~Golf~
    always a good one to watch...

the test dummy
    wow thats pretty sad he got away with that.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I suppose an audible alarm can't hurt, but like a car alarm, people just tune them out.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I am shocked that nobody even stopped to question him. That is wild, but I suppose if you look like you are supposed to be doing it who is going to say anything? I know I have had to do that because I foolishly lost my keys

Even if you did stop someone in the act, all they would need to say is they lost their keys, how it be questioned?

Best bet is a beater bike and making it as tough as possible for those slimy thieves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Don't be surprised. In NYC you can die on the street and no will care:
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC News
    Why Homeless Hero Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax Died on NYC Street Apr. 28, 2010

Why did more than 20 passersby leave a homeless man to bleed to death on a New York City sidewalk last week?

Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax, 31, collapsed on a Queens, N.Y., sidewalk after he was stabbed several times by a mugger, but his motionless form didn't inspire a single passerby to help or to alert the police -- until he had been lying there bleeding to death for more than an hour.
    People in most major cities are ice cold a$$holes and NYC is one of the worst.

~Disc~Golf~
    I always make sure to park my bike next to a nicer bike.

keeping it dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyFokker
    Don't be surprised. In NYC you can die on the street and no will care:

People in most major cities are ice cold a$$holes and NYC is one of the worst.
    Kitty Genovese Syndrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_genovese

It did happen in Queens, though.. Maybe just Queens Syndrome?

mtbr member
    I wonder if people saw the camera man which is what made them think it was ok. He seemed to be in the open and right near by....

mtbr member
    Just got me a seat leash. After watching that video it doesn't seem to be much protection. but I don't like carrying my seat around, and the beauty is that you can loop it around your frame and bolt it under your seat and just leave it there. With a quick release seat, it at least stops the casual thief that could get your seat and post in about 2 seconds.

http://www.rei.com/product/736400?pr...:referralID=NA

4 bucks at REI!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

keeping it dirty
    I just replaced my QR seat collar with a standard non-QR collar. If I were a thief I'd steal a seat with a QR over a non-QR one, even though the time required to loosen the non-QR collar isn't very long at all. You can also put some elmer's glue in the allen bolt so that you won't be able to loosen the bolt without first getting the glue out. Again, this is pretty easy to do (just add water, wait, and scrape it out) but it's an extra step that an opportunistic thief might not want to deal with.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    I wonder if people saw the camera man which is what made them think it was ok. He seemed to be in the open and right near by....
    that doesn't seem to happen when someone is assaulted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, I have to agree. Get a beater if it's going to out of your sight for more than a minute.

mtbr member
    NY Fahgettaboudit - they have a $4500 warranty
    The best option IMO.

I own the exact same Ulock as pictured, and when I ride with friends or am doing some urban riding, I always use a cable lock through both wheels and the frame, then the frame gets secured with the Ulock

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmosher
    If you don't want your bike stolen, move out of Los Angeles.

Seriously though, how good are these Kevlar locks? They look like an old school chain lock, but it's made from Kevlar apparently... Is a U-lock better or worse than this?

EDIT: And one good suggestion I saw somewhere was to use two different kinds of locks (i.e. chain lock and U-lock). The thief needs a different tool to break each of them, and it is highly unlikely that he will carry both around with him (or her). So, although a bit paranoid, there is a solution!

I always use a cable lock and the Ulock in conjunction with eachother when I lock up. It at least makes it very difficult for the average young punk to try and steal my wheels.

Religion = Non-thinking
    How do you lock up your bike in NYC where you dont even want people to touch/dirty/vandalize your bike? Because thats also a concern with nice bikes locked up in NYC
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    same **** in Miami

If they cant cut the lock, they will cut the pole or unscrew the sign and lift your bike out of the pole........

and then sell your $2000 bike for only $40 and get some crack rocks....

life is beautiful, this city isn't

mtbr member
    If I may bump & continue this a bit, I like highdell's NY Fahgettaboudit lock, but what about cables? Where can I find a really good one? REI's models all look like crap. Need something long & flexy enough to lock 2 or 3 bikes together at home, then atop the roof rack when we're on the road. We are very cautious but you know how quick thieves can be...
    Bionically Modified

keeping it dirty
    I think all cables are crap. If you must get something that you can wrap around stuff you should get the Kryptonite chain.

http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Yor...1&sr=8-3-spell

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How bout just locking up your bike and watching to see how many people you can have arrested for trying to steal it?

Members who have read this thread: 0