Holding Handlebars while biking- Mtbr.com
    Wheeeee!
    Nov 2007

Holding Handlebars while biking

So heres a funny question. While I'm biking wanna be able to shift and brake and still have a strong grip on my bars for when i hit a big bump, or to get my bike up and over obstacles.

What is the correct way to hold brake levers, shifters, and grips? Which fingers for what?
    Jamis Dakota '06
    Jamis Sputnik '10

We're all wrong.

2 meters tall. 13.37 Stone. Yeah, I'm a freak of nature.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Brake with your index finger while hard gripping the handlebars, I hold my handlebar like an F1 driver when they change gears

mtbr member
    One finger braking with the index fingers is the way to go - it might be a little awkward at first, but once you get used to it you'll wonder how you ever got around using 2 fingers. The amount of control you'll have increases dramatically. You need to have good brakes in order to have good stopping power with one finger. If you can, move your brake levers as far inward as you can (closer to the center of the bar) so your finger is pressing the outermost part of the lever, giving you the most leverage and hence - more braking power.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Awesome advice!

I was wondering the same.

mtbr member

Thanks for the help

I was as forming a bad habit of grabbing at the brakes, not much left holding the bars and would over brake.

The F1 analogy is funny, I was able to drive a Star Mazda and after 4 laps I thought my forearms where going to fall off, its not as easy as they make it look

https://www.pbase.com/ray645/root

regards
    Ray

Members who have read this thread: 1