Hi, New Here. Which Hardtail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Hi, New Here. Which Hardtail?

Wazup everyone!

My name is Jonathan & been riding BMX since 95. Currently 20 years old, and hoping to pick up a Mountain bike soon.

I want to get a mountain bike hartail as my first bike, and hoping I can get some help choosing one. I am looking to do some trail riding, and maybe racing, but mainly trail riding.

I am 5'9 138lb male.
    ^16-20 Large Frame?

Fill me in as a newbe

Thanks
    Godbless
    -Jonathan

p.s I also ride motocross if that helps

Lurker
    geez thats a very vague question. I got my first hardtail after 8 years riding a FS. I picked up a diamondback response i enjoy it alot. But to each there own. Hit a local bike shop and try them out. Some people like there frames a bit smaller (i do with my fisher), some like them a bit larger, some like them at the specified size. As far as a generic frame size, I'm going to chime in at 18 maybe a 16. But every brand is DIFFERENT, just gotta ride them. Hope that helps
    Where the Sidewalk Ends
    "Its not a hobby its a way of life."

AZ
    banned
    Go ride a bunch of them , as many as possible . Every makers is a slightly different size . All of the major makers have solid offerings , its going to come down to what fits the best .

Can't feel my legs
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Go ride a bunch of them , as many as possible . Every makers is a slightly different size . All of the major makers have solid offerings , its going to come down to what fits the best .
    +1 This also allows you to "shop" for a good LBS. This is also a very important "fit".
    Good luck, and check back in when you have narrowed it down.
    Welcome to MTBR

mtbr member
    Thanks, that sounds like a very good idea

I going to test drive some tomorrow.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    I don't think you'll be on a Large frame, if you were asking.

local jackass
    details would be a huge help in answering this and a price range is a must
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    Alright. I went to two shops today (not costco, just mom & pop bike shops)

The medium 17 frame fits me the best.The bike I tested at one shop was a Giant Rincon (black) 17' and I really liked how it felt. Very light and they were selling it for $469 new.

What I am looking for
    Looking to go mostly trail riding 1-3 times a week in California Chaparral (manly loose dirt with hills.

This is my ideal bike listed most imported top. bottom is less important
    -Hardtail
    -Meduim 17
    -Disc Brakes
    -trail tires (riding in California Chaparral)
    -Really like the color white w/ black rims
    -Front Fork Locks

Budget
    ($1-300 used)
    ($300-499 new)

Any ideas?
    I would pretty appracate it. Thanks!

Godbless
    -Jonathan aka Mountain Bike NEWBE

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Sounds like you may have found your bike right there. Have you sampled bikes from a bunch of the big guys (Specialized, Giant, Trek, Fisher, Cannondale, etc.)? If not, go ride a few more just to make sure the Giant is still your favorite.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    In that price range, I would definitely check out some of the Motobecane bikes:

http://bikesdirect.com/

You can test ride them at one of these shops:

http://cyclespectrum.com/

which unfortunately are only located in Texas, Florida, and Arizona. (I list Cycle Spectrum just in case someone who lives in one of these states reads this forum.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch
    Sounds like you may have found your bike right there. Have you sampled bikes from a bunch of the big guys (Specialized, Giant, Trek, Fisher, Cannondale, etc.)? If not, go ride a few more just to make sure the Giant is still your favorite.
    Yea, sounds good thanks

I remember riding a hardtail Gary Fisher a long time ago, and like it, but I can find any dealer in SoCal. Anyone know one?

I REALLY like the color white(frame) with black rims, but I can't find one(like giant rincon).

If anyone know, please let me know

thanks
    -Jon

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbull77
    Yea, sounds good thanks

I remember riding a hardtail Gary Fisher a long time ago, and like it, but I can find any dealer in SoCal. Anyone know one?
    thanks
    -Jon
    To find a Gary Fisher dealer, go to the Fisher Web site and click on "Get on a Fisher" (far top right of screen):

http://fisherbikes.com/

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Giant Xtc 2 29er. Theres some nice compilation of 29er tech that has been needed. Im really loving mine. Fast frame but will let you cruise all day if you choose....mmmmmm.

But , that is only if you are looking for a fast single track attack bike that gathers attention when getting its "break in" tune that literally required some additional tension to the front deral to make it slide onto the big ring that much easier. Very pleased.

I recomend Sunlines Vone bars in the 28" low rise. They are to me a perfect 29er bar , not flat , not too high , a nice rise to a mild sweep and wide. Threw on some Sunline Vone pedals and a wtb speed v seat for all around comfy . After 4 months of mind wracking and test riding... my suffering has ended. Love this bike.

But.. BMX you say? And i caught your budget later... Take a look at Redlines Monocog 29er Its a tank worthy of upgrades later as budget allows. Come to the 29er darkside.......

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help peeps

I have gone to 3-4 dealers.

I Narrow down to two bikes I really like
    1. 2010 Trek 4500 (everything I want, but the budget)
    2. 2010 Giant Rincon (eveything I want , but the color)

^^What do you peeps think about these bikes?

I heard they are both "NEWBE-FRIENDLY"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MongoFlight
    Giant Xtc 2 29er. Theres some nice compilation of 29er tech that has been needed. Im really loving mine. Fast frame but will let you cruise all day if you choose....mmmmmm.

But , that is only if you are looking for a fast single track attack bike that gathers attention when getting its "break in" tune that literally required some additional tension to the front deral to make it slide onto the big ring that much easier. Very pleased.

I recomend Sunlines Vone bars in the 28" low rise. They are to me a perfect 29er bar , not flat , not too high , a nice rise to a mild sweep and wide. Threw on some Sunline Vone pedals and a wtb speed v seat for all around comfy . After 4 months of mind wracking and test riding... my suffering has ended. Love this bike.

But.. BMX you say? And i caught your budget later... Take a look at Redlines Monocog 29er Its a tank worthy of upgrades later as budget allows. Come to the 29er darkside.......
    Thanks for the help dude.

A 29er is just bigger wheel size right? or is there somthing I a missing

hahaha 29er darkside

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Find a shop that carry Specialized HardRock sport disc it's between $450-500 same as the Giant. Also check out Haro Flighline Sport same price range as the HardRock and Rincon. Also Gary Fisher Wahoo...
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

Professional Speed Bump
    Seems like everyone has already mentioned some of the better bikes for your price range.

But if you want more choices, here are a few you can consider:

- Felt Q520: http://www.uniwith.com/img/Felt/Felt_s/Q520sw_b.html

- SCOTT Aspect: http://www.bikesale.com/scott-aspect-60-2010.aspx

- Rocky Mountain Flare: http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+...ID=1&SCATID=18 (18" on ebay for $470: http://cgi.ebay.com/Rocky-Mountain-F...item35a6fd05bd)

- Cannondale F9: http://aroadbike4u.com/product/canno...09-49844-1.htm

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'd give serious thought to the Flightline Sport as well. It's spec'd about the same as the Rincon. I got my Flightline Comp on sale for $550 which is a decent jump component-wise.

Professional Speed Bump
    Here's another one that might be worth looking into. Jamis Trail X3: http://www.topangacreekbicycles.com/...5_151&prod=969

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I dont think you could go wrong with any of the choices you have listed and captainjoon listed some very nice contenders in your bracket. . Everyone makes a nice bike really once you get into a solid brand and all components will wear out over time , of course price goes up with the addition of real bearings over bushings , materials , weight , etc. Pick the one you like the most , that has the shop that treats you the way you want to be treated with the frame you will like and fit the best on. Then you will have a solid platform to stand on as your return to the bike world begins again. Fit and ride is as you know extremely important. You can nitpick components till your red in the face , but if you picked a bike over another for a slight upgrade(yet both work the same) and It does not feel right... big no no in my opinion. Also consider that you have the chance to pick up last year or the year befores bikes..... can get yourself a nice little bump in goodies at the same price range you were looking at. Give yourself a few options as far as bikes that fit and you like , Take a look at some of the Redline lineup as well , you might find something in there to your liking as well , diamondback too , even tho some of the boutique guys might go up in flames over those 2 . Then once youve done your homework even Craigslist becomes an option as long as its something gently used that you wont have to spend money fixing , a good shop should be happy to have you as a service customer no matter where you bought the bike if they are smart.

As far as 29ers , not only are they a larger wheel and tire which has multiple benefits over a 26" . They too have their multiple build styles like other bikes from single speed rigid cyclocross to full suspension all mountain and back again. I personally like the 29er a lot, ask to see one and try it out when you go look at the bikes you had in mind Most manufacturers build one if not many.
    Last edited by MongoFlight; 03-05-2010 at 10:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    There are a couple of threads on Diamondback Response Sport here. May be worth reading - it seems, that the owners are satisfied with the bike. Not sure about the price, judging by pricing in my part of the world, must be around 400-500$. No white frame option, but the color does look great to me (army green).

Members who have read this thread: 0