Hey, just busted out my old MTB and have maintnence issues... HALP!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Listen! Hey, just busted out my old MTB and have maintnence issues... HALP!!

Sup?

I recently started biking to work. Feels good. Saves me $, time (as opposed to bus) and the exercise is a plus. It's a old bike though, like a 97-98 Norco Katmandu. Was like 499$. Doesn't have many miles on it. I only rode it for 1-2 years to soccer practice 2 times a week then it sat in the garage for a few years, then 1 season of riding to work then sat again for many years. Now it's back out.

Anyways, the bike is in pretty terrible condition. Never once did any maintenance on it. The brake pads are worn right down to metal, the gears take a few seconds to shift over when shifting(sometimes), the front rim is mildly warped and the back rim is way more warped (i actually had to take the back brake pads off due to rubbing). My back tire also has a slow leak in it. I have to fill it twice a day. Once to get to work, and once to get home (lol). The front tread is worn almost right down (I guess this is good though since it's just a commuter bike, less resistance right? lol) and the back is getting there.

I tried to replace the back tube but both times the tube burst. Once after 2-3 minutes of riding (to work) and the other burst when filling it up. I've never replaced a tube before but I watched a couple vids on youtube and it didn't seem to hard so i'm thinking it's just terrible quality tubes. There only Supercycle tubes from Canadian Tire that cost like 6$. I could tell they weren't as good as my previous tube as the thickness wasn't as much.

Anyways, should I try fixing these problems myself? I don't have any experience but would like to learn as it would be a usefull skill. I was thinking of just taking it in to a bike shop and hoping they have some type of full maintenance package deal but obviously that would cost much more $ then doing it myself. Plus I dunno if I want to put that much $ into my bike since there's only a few more weeks of riding season (unless I wanna bike through winter...).

What should I do? They seem like easy fixes cuz I googled (and read on here) about the stuff but I don't really have access to any quality parts. Nearest bike shop is like 30-40 minute bus ride and i'm not allowed to take my bike on the bus (ya stupid I know). There is a Sportchek only like 10 minutes away but not sure if they sell anything good.

HALP!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Go here:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/

you need:
    new tires (slicks are OK)
    new tubes (slime filled)
    new brake pads

your shifting problems are pretty easy....cable more than likely needs to be tightened (parktool.com)....if that's not it you'll need new cables and housing (slightly more involved...but no biggie)

your wheels sound outta whack and need to be 'trued'...
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=81

you do not need a truing stand....simply turn your bike upside down and tape/affix a piece of cardboard to the the chainstays closest to the rim on both sides (so the carboard "feeler" is really close to the rim)...this will give you a reading (while spinning the wheel) exactly where you are out of true - then follow tightening/loosening instructions on Ppark Tools website....you can use a needle nose pliars to adjust spoke tension...just be careful

the truing is gonna take a little while to get right....

hope this helps
    Click Here for Forum Rules

AZ
    banned
    Might want add new rim strips as well , after 10 years they are likely toasted .

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Might want add new rim strips as well , after 10 years they are likely toasted .
    yup....and almost forgot....wipe down and lube the chain

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Great link Good pics and descriptions.

I dunno what these are...

rim strips - ?
    new tires (slicks are OK) - what are slicks?
    new tubes (slime filled) - Slime filled?

How much can I expect these to cost?

Any specific brands I should learn towards?

Can't feel my legs
    Rim strips = rubber or nylon strip that goes around the rim ti cover spoke holes(a couple layers of duct tape can be used in a pinch) This very well be the cause of your flats.

Slicks = tires with little or no tread(aka - road tires) Sorta like what you have now, only new.

Slime filled tubes = tubes filled with self sealing liquid( Personally, I would skip this option in favor of regular tubes)

Rim strips should only cost a couple of dollars, and you can pick up a cheap pair of slicks for around $30

this prolly is an easier way to view how out of true your wheels are (shamelessly googled)

use a zip tie (duh)....easier than taping cardboard tabs to either side of the chainstay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hey, just busted out my old MTB and have maintnence issues... HALP!!-trash.jpg  

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwdown_
    Great link Good pics and descriptions.

I dunno what these are...

rim strips - ?
    new tires (slicks are OK) - what are slicks?
    new tubes (slime filled) - Slime filled?

How much can I expect these to cost?

Any specific brands I should learn towards?

Rim strips a few bucks,
    tires are 20-60 or more US slicks are 20-40. I personally like these http://bontrager.com/model/02858 fast and very puncture resistant.
    tubes like others said skip the slime. esp if you go with a thick tire. the slime will seal holes in the tube.

I personally use 2 zip ties to get a better side to side feel.

Check your tire and rim for something sharp that is causing the blowouts. even cheap tubes shouldn't blow like that

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    this prolly is an easier way to view how out of true your wheels are (shamelessly googled)

use a zip tie (duh)....easier than taping cardboard tabs to either side of the chainstay
    Thats the way I normally do things. Back when I was riding BMX I used the U-Brakes on the frame as the truing guide. I would recommend a park spoke wrench over the pliers only because they are $10-$15 and are less likely to destroy the nipples.

I think I need to Upgrade
    With the issues that you are having and since you use the bike to commute to and from work I would suggest that you take the bike into your local shop and have them do a tune up on the bike for you. It will be easier and less frustrating than taking care of the issues that you are having on your own and you will have a better end result.

Members who have read this thread: 0