All-most Mountain

heres a great tip for newbies

dont grab too much front brake going downhill, and flip over the bike and land on your wrist, breaking or spraining it.

happened to me today on my first ever true mountain ride. wrist is in extreme pain, but not too swollen., hopefully just a sprain. guess ill have to goto doctor tomorrow

Maaaaan
    True, but don't become afraid of your front brake either.
    That's where more than 70% of your stopping power comes from.
    You have to teach yourself, to release the front brake for just a second, when something goes wrong.
    Riding offroad, has similarities to riding on ice.

Later, Eric.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Like Eric said you can't become afraid of the front brake because it is a necessity. In your other thread I told you about my dirt bike back ground and when you don't use /have front brakes you slide down the hill out of control. The same is true about a bicycle. You just have to know how much pressure to apply.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

surfer w/out waves

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

yep... the rear brake is a butcher knife and the front brake is a scalpel... i've even heard of some noobs removing there front brake completely I don't see how that helps cuz then you don't learn to use it

speaking of brake lessons... Run full-length housings so, if you ever ride in the mud, it will prevent most of the gunk from jamming up your brake lines!!! Trees hurt! (hydros excluded).
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    this thread is worthless without pics! lets see that wrist!

don't move for trees
    on the wrist subject, avoid running into trees or clipping them with your hands at high speeds, hurts like no other.

as for brake, get your butt up and put some weight back before grabbing the front brake, specially when learning
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    I have never flipped a bike, anyone who knows how to use their brakes will keep it upright. Just don't jam the lever to the bar.

Jump in
    Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000
    I have never flipped a bike, anyone who knows how to use their brakes will keep it upright. Just don't jam the lever to the bar.

You haven't been trying hard enough then! You'll never figure out how far you can go if you don't go over the limit occasionally.

don't move for trees
    i beg to differ, as long as you put your weight back, you can grab as much front as you want. I'm a light guy running 203mm rotors with juicy 5s and i have no problem locking the front up and not going over

Dr Phil mmkay
    Yeah, I've got Code 5's. 4 pistons can stop you quick if you panic brake and grab a fist full of lever. Rear keeps you stable on the descent if you want to scrub a bit of speed off. But front brakes are quite necessary if you want to slow down. And remember to modulate well.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by BKnight
    i beg to differ, as long as you put your weight back, you can grab as much front as you want. I'm a light guy running 203mm rotors with juicy 5s and i have no problem locking the front up and not going over
    Yeah with the back tire scrubbing your 'rhoids you can use NO rear brake and lock up the front wheel without going OTB. It all comes down to experience.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with information and motivation.

The Hutch
    I always do 1 finger on front brake and 2 fingers on rear brake hang my bum off the sattle and have fun.

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebr73
    You haven't been trying hard enough then! You'll never figure out how far you can go if you don't go over the limit occasionally.
    I can get my rear tire about a foot off the ground on flat ground in the saddle. I don't want to try much harder. That was on pavement. It hurts.

Jump in
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    .... It all comes down to experience.
    My point exactly. Experience will teach you how far you can push it, but you will never learn how far that is until you go just a little too far.

will work to bike
    Jul 2006
    man!!! talk about beginners luck! i hate to hear that and i hope your recovery is fast!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miller542
    this thread is worthless without pics! lets see that wrist!
    I saw camshaft's endo yesterday. It was like slow motion...the bike stood up vertical on the front wheel for a second before it all came down. His wrist was banged up pretty bad.

Otherwise, though, he rode like a champ for it being his first time on the mountain mist trail. We had some good downhills, rock gardens, etc. He got a good taste of monte sano.

camshaft, I hope the wrist is better soon. Hope it's not broken.

Student
    Good tip. I think it applies to everyone. haha. Get better.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i likes me some endos/stoppies... ;o)
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebr73
    Agreed. I've taken a couple trips over the bars, it's part of learning. It's a good idea to lower your seat and get your rear way back over the back tire, you can use a lot more front brake in that position.

All-most Mountain
    woke up this morning to excruciating pain and softball-sized hand. went to doctor. fractured #2 metacarpal. he said he sees tons of this kind of accident from skateborders and given my weight (255) i was extremely lucky that my wrist didnt snap completely off.

Go Bruins!
    Hand injuries bite!! I bashed my forefinger knuckle last year in a freak incident when my glove caught when I was falling, and I basically punched a rock face when I jerked my hand out of the glove on the way down. I didn't break anything, but it hurt like hell. I've also bashed my pinkie finger knuckle a couple times by just skimming a tree trunk riding a tight tech section. This hurts like hell too, but I plan to remedy that this year with better gloves. I hope you heal up soon.

btw, learning to use the front brake well is a very good idea. It teaches you to learn how to shift your weight properly to keep your balance, and if you haven't gone over the bar on your bike, I agree with the others, you aren't trying hard enough.

Dirt Deviant
    Damn, sorry to hear about the wrist man. Get better soon so you can get back out there and ride again.
    I've broken both arms, 1 was a compound fracture(eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww) all of my fingers and toes in various crashes and both hands in different spots over the years. Oh yea, fractured my skull once in 3 spots. That was fun. I had to reassemble my right pinky finger after that crash, took about 1 year to heal, 2 years to stop being sensitive.

Anyways, get healed and back to riding!!!!!!!!!!!

~I Ride In Circles ~
    I need a bigger rotor up front... so my front brake isn't as powerful as it should be.. But.. it could still toss me easily on a downhill if I were to panic. When I upgrade to a bigger front rotor I think I'm in for some learnin..
    ~ it's all good ~

don't move for trees
    bigger rotors=more power. just don't be dumb and remember what your doing. There shouldn't be any reason to panic when just going down hill, ride in control.

mtbr member
    Secace and I were out in Moraine State Park in Pennsyltucky once, we were on this killer downhill section on fast flowey singletrack, just ripping in and out of trees.. the last section was SUPER steep and full of little rocks.. we came down the last section at like 25 mph and me not thinking i STABBED the front brake.. My Kona went up into a nose wheelie and I rode the entire last section of downhill on the front wheel.. when we got to the bottom he was like "duuuude, you didn't actually do that on purpouse did you?" I said.." uh... no.. "... Either way.. it looked good!!! hahahha

Theres two things wrong with the fire service today.... EMS and PMS
    EMS i can deal with....

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Very nice!

Jesus loved the dinosaurs
    Sorry to hear about your wrist. It happens. If you don't wreck occasionally, you're not pushin'... even the pros wreck once in a while. Be happy with the wrist. I've separated both shoulders (left once, right twice) from endos over the years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camshaft213
    dont grab too much front brake going downhill, and flip over the bike and land on your wrist, breaking or spraining it.

happened to me today on my first ever true mountain ride. wrist is in extreme pain, but not too swollen., hopefully just a sprain. guess ill have to goto doctor tomorrow
    My cousin wanted to try mountain biking a few years ago. He rented a bike at Snowshoe and after warming up in a practice area, we headed down the mountain and literally 10 seconds into the ride he crashed and broke his wrist. He hasn't touched a bike since. I feel bad he didn't get to enjoy mountain biking one bit.

All-most Mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    My cousin wanted to try mountain biking a few years ago. He rented a bike at Snowshoe and after warming up in a practice area, we headed down the mountain and literally 10 seconds into the ride he crashed and broke his wrist. He hasn't touched a bike since. I feel bad he didn't get to enjoy mountain biking one bit.

suck for him. i cant wait to get back on

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The front brake is like a double edged sword. If you know how to use it, it's a great tool. If you don't...well, you might get hurt. Keep practicing with that front brake. Hope your wrist gets better soon.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about the wrist. Hope you get better soon.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

All-most Mountain
    this completely sucks. the pain and swelling is getting worse. my hand is the color of a blueberry, and i didnt sleep at all last night because the lorcets made me feel crazy and agitated. i called the dr this AM and he gave me some darvocets. we'll have to see if i can sleep tonight. ican deal with pain but i really need to get some sleep.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    I need a bigger rotor up front... so my front brake isn't as powerful as it should be.. But.. it could still toss me easily on a downhill if I were to panic. When I upgrade to a bigger front rotor I think I'm in for some learnin..
    Larger rotors provide more stopping power, so you'll just make your front more powerfull, not less powerfull.

Dirt Deviant
    2 beers and a darv should put you out. But if you're a lightweight maybe 1 beer.

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Oops.. I'm glad you caught me up there.. I meant to sat so it's more powerful.. Sorry
    ~ it's all good ~

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i guess it is left over from my bike riding from the 80's ... i hit my back brake first then hit the front one to add a bit more to it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    im the man hehe i can endo and step off the bike without falling over although i did snap my mech hanger!!!!!! so yes im not the man but if you was there you would of pat me on the back and laughed

Members who have read this thread: 0