Help with Upgrading my Sette Derro Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help with Upgrading my Sette Derro Bike

Hello, I haven't been on here in a while, but I am looking forward to start riding again! I purchased a sette derro off ebay from a guy who used this site - http://forums.mtbr.com/sette/derro-b...ml#post9567234

The parts list is identical to when I bought it aside from tires / pedals:

Bottom Bracket:* raceface x-type
    Brake Levers:* shimano deore hydros
    Shifter R SRAM TRX 9 speed
    Cassette: Xtr 9 11-34
    Rotor F 160mm
    Rotor R 160mm
    Chain:* Sram 9 speed
    Crankset:* racefac evolve 32t/bashguard
    Derlr (Front) Jump Stop
    Derlr (Rear) shimano xt gs
    Shock fox float rp-2
    Fork: rockshox sid 120 rlt
    Grips: ergo
    Handlebar:* easton cf monkeylight
    Headset:* Cane Creek
    Pedals:* Shimano PD-M530 (new)
    Seat:* wtb rocket v
    Seatpost:* sette carbon
    Stem:* truvativ stylo 70mm
    Tire (Front) KendaBlueGroove
    Tire (Rear): KendaKarma
    Tubes: Stans
    Wheelset: easton xc one

Total weight clean is 26.3

What I'm trying to figure out is the shifter, casette, Rear D and chain. He claimed is was 1x10 but the shifter, casette and chain are all 9 speeds. Looking into getting a new Rear D and shifters but not really sure which path to go?

Also, would it be worth it to purchase cheap 26 or 27.5 tubeless wheels for this bike / do you know of any sales going on for them?

since 4/10/2009
    Well, 10 speed stuff is still fairly easy to find and still works well, so you could swap out the 9spd stuff for 10spd. You'd need shifter, derailleur, cassette, and chain. This would probably be the cheapest way to go with a wide range cassette (like an 11-42), by getting a Sunrace cassette.

You could go 11spd on the bike, too. SLX 11spd was just announced, though it'll probably be awhile before it's available. It will probably be quite affordable as far as 11spd groups go. It would require the same parts changes, to be honest. Shifter, cassette, rear derailleur, and chain.

I saw in your other thread that you live in southern IN. A 32/34 low gear isn't all that low. I'm not sure it would be a comfortable low gear for me, even on a 26lb bike (my 31lb FS fatbike has a 28/42 low gear and some steep stuff in Hoosier National Forest and Yellowwood SF still kicks my butt).

I'm not sure I'd mess with much. It looks like a pretty respectable build. Even the gearing, I'd only do the change now if I got out and rode it and felt like I needed much lower gearing.

mtbr member
    I'm not entirely fond of the shifter or the derailleur is why I ask. I messed with it myself and took it to shop and it still feels the same to me.

Which is why I'm looking into replacing those but not necessarily switching from 9 to 11. I believe the Shimano xt gs is a 10 speed derailleur is why I am confused. I only need 1 shifter and 1 derailleur so price isn't really a big factor. The guy I got it from bought everything used and these 2 parts just seem to be a little worn down.

Aside from that, I have yet to ride in Brown County and I'm sure I will have a tough time especially being out of shape lol. I can't find the geometry for this bike anywhere - the old site they still had up they finally took down I suppose.

What is the best type of bike to ride in Brown County? I played sports all my life until I graduated college last year and I have to get some hobby and adrenaline going - meaning I'd prefer to do more than just XC such as all mountain but I'm not into the whole BMX scene.

I'm considering buying a new bike as there seems to be lots of awesome trails within reach. Brown county is about 1:15 O bannon 40 minutes then all trails in Louisville are within 5-30 minutes whether I'm at work or home.