Help removing cassette- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New question here. Help removing cassette

We discovered my axle was broken and it kind of fell out while truing the wheel leaving me with a ruined wheel.

I would like to move my cassette onto my new wheel however we can't figure out how to get it off... I used the cassette removal tool and a chain whip to turn against the gears but it woudln't budge.

Then I tried turning against the wheel itself (in both directions) and it still woudln't budge...

I can't imagine I just didn't push hard enough, any suggestions on what I might need to do? All the guides and videos I can find show cassettes that don't look like this.

http://imgur.com/a/IQT7I
    Thanks
    Last edited by Devedander; 04-27-2011 at 11:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Your image link isn't working.

To remove a cassette you need the chain whip and the lock ring tool. Facing the wheel 'forward' (i.e cassette on the right hand side of the wheel) you should position the whip to hold the cassette in place and turn the lock ring tool COUNTER clock wise to loosen. Sometimes it can be tough to get the leverage you need; I usually place the wheel in my lap with the cassette facing up and then loosen the lock ring.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sorry I updated the image link and it works now.

We tried turning against the gears and I don't think it was going to budge... I had the wheel on it's tire, the chain whip in one hand and the wrench holding the part trying to remove the cassette, pressing down on both towards the floor... I would think it shouldnt' be harder than that...

osmarandasara, thanks for the link but my cassette doesn't look like that... now that the pictures work youc an see...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    you have a freewheel, if you use the whip you wont be able to get it off as you are hlding still the piece you are trying to remove. just use the tool and hold the wheel tight it will come loose

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks Sleg.

So to be sure I have it right, I should hold the wheel still, insert the cassette removal tool into the cassette and turn it agains the wheel correct?

Do you know which way backs it out? I tried both ways last night and it didn't budge so I was worried about breaking it. I want to make sure I am not tightening it more by accident!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slegos888
    you have a freewheel, if you use the whip you wont be able to get it off as you are hlding still the piece you are trying to remove. just use the tool and hold the wheel tight it will come loose
    Yep, an old six speed freewheel. The ratcheting freewheel mechanism is part of the gear cluster, not part of the hub like more modern cassette systems. The freewheel is just threaded on to threads on the end of the hub.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    lefty loosie! and if the wheel is messed up already shoot some penetrating lube at the base of the freewheel and use a long handle tool for more leverage

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for all the help guys! I will go apply some more muscle power (and maybe some lubricant) and hope I can pop it off tonight!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Went at it and that thing is not coming off... the axle was broken and it's been grinding for a while so I don't know if maybe it has become warped and permaently stuck or if maybe this particuarly one is somehow permanently attached...

If I did get it off would it even fit on any modern hoops anyway?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    freewheels are still commonly used on entry level stuff, unless you have and intended use for it it might not be worth all the trouble you seem to be having trying to salvage it. you can buy a new freewheel very cheaply but if you really want to beat it clamp the hub in a vice and get the longest breaker bar you can find or slip a pipe over your wrench for leverage and have at it. ive had stubborn freewheels in the past but muscle has always prevailed! good luck

mtbr member
    I think the trick is to put the spline tool in the vice, then sit the wheel down on top of it so the tool engages in the freewheeel, then grab hold of the wheel/tire, and turn baby turn!

Enthusiast
    Sometimes you just have to destroy the thing to remove it. Here's a link:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...uctive-removal

Then you buy a new one. Last time I did it, I paid less than $20.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Devedander
    Thanks for all the help guys! I will go apply some more muscle power (and maybe some lubricant) and hope I can pop it off tonight!
    If your new wheel has a cassette hub, you can not use the old freewheel on it. If so, there is no reason to remove the FW. You need to get a new cassette.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    another vote for using a vice clamp:

http://www.commutebybike.com/2006/12...heel-cassette/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the advice guys... we beat on it pretty hard and even had the tool in the vice... trying to turn the wheel had a 200+lb guy sliding his feet across the floor instead of turning the wheel!

We are looking into swapping on an 8 speed wheel and casette onto it and ditching the whole old wheel... seems like it will be difficult with an indexed shifter.

Members who have read this thread: 0