Help! Rebuilding childhood bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Help! Rebuilding childhood bike

Long story short I know next to nothing about bikes. I have an 05 Gary Fisher Tarpon 13" Frame 26" Tires
    Shimano ST-EF29 EZ Fire STI
    Shift levers :
    Shimano ST-EF29 EZ Fire STI
    Front derailleur:

Shimano FD-C051
    Rear: Shimano Acera
    Crankset:
    Suntour XCC-100, 28/38/48 teeth
    Fork:

RST 191C5, 63mm

Basically,I have a mint frame with bad part rusted forks etc.. I dont know my arm from my ass and I would like to rebuild this bike whilst upgrading slightly if possible. Budget around $200 total.
    If anyone could give me any part or brand recommendations etc that would be awesome. Did a bit of research and discovered that a fork with 63mm travel isnt all that common and all that seems to be available is suntour looking for any help I can get thanks in advance!

Fat-tired Roadie
    13" is a little frame. Are you that small? That it was your childhood bike makes it sound unlikely - presumably you've grown.

What kind of brakes? Can you post some pics?

What's the goal here? Are you restoring for the sake of restoring or trying to have a bike to ride?

Where I'm coming from is that depending on what you want to do and the rest of the context, this might be very much not worth it or it could be a good project. And there are two approaches you could take to it as a project - either period correct or more modernizing-oriented. 2005 wasn't really that long ago but enough gas changed that you can't just buy stuff willy-nilly. You need to be aware of the standards governing his the different parts fit on your frame and to each other.

A good first step would be to do a thorough tuneup and inventory which parts are toast. parktool.com is an excellent resource. If you look up their new bike build article, that pretty much lists everything on a bike and links to articles about each part.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks for the quick reply! Im unsure, im 5' 5.. havent grown much lol. Either way id like to see it restored. Full specs here

2005 Gary Fisher Tarpon - BikePedia

Tektro aluminum brakes. Lets assume I need all except frame, rims, handlebar, and seat. I can upload better pics tomorrow if you think itll help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help! Rebuilding childhood bike-20160728_200641.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It would be difficult to restore that bike for $200 ,to sell it ,it's worth maybe
    $ 100 complete .If you want something to ride ,look at getting something newer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thats not really my budget I just figured it probably wouldnt be worth putting more than $200 into into it. Would still like to restore but would also like to hear some newer suggestions anything in particular?

Fat-tired Roadie
    What are you hoping to get out of either this bike or a new one?

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Sorry. Ultimately I want to ride.That aside, this being the bike I owned ten years ago I think it would be a fun project to restore just to restore. If it turns out I can ride it too, so be it. If not, im buying a new one. Hope this clears it up sorry for the confusion

Cycologist
    If it's only a 2005 and only worth $100 and you really want to restore it, maybe you can find another one for $100 in good condition and swap out the parts to your frame. That would be cheaper than $200, though you'll need to buy some tools and possibly a few parts (tires) depending on the condition. Unless the thrill of the hunt for piece by piece parts is important to you.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Cycologist
    Just checked eBay and the only listing is asking $225 without wheels, handlebars and maybe more. Don't buy that! Unless you have the money, you need to ask yourself if you want to ride or restore; sorry but even brand new that was a very limited capability mountain bike, I didn't think they were even making bikes sold as mountain bikes with that little travel forks in 2005. You'd be better off putting that money toward a new or better bike if you want to ride, restoring it will cost a lot more than it is worth, you'd probably spend more than the bike cost new in 2005 ($290 list).
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

On wuss patrol
    Hang the bare frame on your garage wall or on a wall in your home if you're comfy with that and call it good, look at it with fond memories.

Buy a newer bike to ride.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That bike sold for $290.00 new, and worth between $35.00 and $57.00 now: closer to 35, from what you have described.

2005 Gary Fisher Tarpon - New and Used Bike Value

Sounds like the bike has sentimental value. But at your height, you'd need something around a 15 or 16 inch frameset, and it's just not worth it.

Suggestion, take some cool photos of it, like pose the bike in weird places, or places you actually rode it, and make some sort of photo journal, or framed collage. Heck. Even a digital photo airbrushed onto a denim jacket. That will give the sentimental value. Then donate the bike to a bike exchange or goodwill. Buy a new or used bike that has some inherent value and that fits you.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    What is your total budget, assuming you don't rebuild the Tarpon, for a new or used bike? Just looking at Jenson Cycles, they have some nice hard tails on sale that would be appropriate.
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Big thank you for all the responses. Had a feeling this was the case just needed the reassurance its not worth it. I think im going to hang the frame. Now on to the next bike.. Id like to keep it under $600 and I plan on doing a combination of road and moderate trail riding.. I live in New England. Any suggestions would be awesome

On wuss patrol
    Since you admit to not knowing your arm from your ass regarding bikes, I'd say find a local shop with solid reviews to get started and have on hand for follow up help and maintenance later on. Most brands with bikes in your budget range are going to have very similarly equipped offerings, with budget, fit and intangibles maybe being your deciding factors. There are very good online deals, especially with '15-'16 close outs but I don't recommend that direction for you and you might get a good close out option at a local shop.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slauz08 View Post
    I live in New England.
    Whereabouts?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    search the internet for the parts, buy them and replace the old junk. if you must. but restoring an old bike is not like an old car...sandblasting parts, repainting, etc. the parts you DO finish will look like crap, and you'll get about 25% through the project before you give up. so...hmm, it is EXACTLY like restoring an old car.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That budget would get you a nice Jamis Coda. Maybe a Cannondale Quick. Those are hybrids that you could use on light trails. The Coda is really good on roads, but isn't that far from a gravel bike if you look at the tires, it's a versatile bike. Jamis also has a lot of 'adventure' bikes for low prices that would work. Just about any major brand has a nice hybrid-type.

Kona makes a lot of bikes that are well-priced. They have some inexpensive mountain-bikes. Also a bike known as the Kona Dew, which is an inexpensive adventure bike made for the conditions you describe.

You could also look into Performance Bike. They have a website, you can order online, but may not get a well-fitting bike that way. If there is a shop near you, they would be a good resource for an inexpensive, but good, bike.

Here are their moutainbikes for < 1K.

Performance Bike - Mountain Bikes Under $1000 - Category

Anyway, you are 2 inches shorter than me, and would probably use a size smaller than whatever would fit me. Depending. So I could help, to a point, on a size opinion.
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond