Help Out a Newb- Mtbr.com

Thread: Help Out a Newb

Feb 2004

Help Out a Newb

I'm pretty new to this stuff, though its not to say i dont know how to ride a bike, or ride it well, i've just never been very serious about it. Anyways, I've got a cheap dual suspension bike and it was recommended to me that i change the headset. I want to know what this will do to help the bike, there doesnt seem to be any real problem with it, but im sure i must be missing something. Also feel free to pipe up about other things as well, cranksets, cassets, shifters...whatever, id like your input. Thanks for all the help.
    - Will

jcw

Dec 2003

hey if it ain't broke...

why fix it? If there's no problems with it now, I'd just wait until it craps out on you to replace it. As long as the handlebars can turn freely, and there is no slop (ie. apply front brake and rock bike back and forth, if you hear/feel a clunking then your headset needs to be either adjusted or replaced) then it's doing it's job. You will not notice any performance improvement with a better headset, they just last longer with less maintenance. As for other components, tell us what the bike has now and we can give our opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by holysht1068
    I'm pretty new to this stuff, though its not to say i dont know how to ride a bike, or ride it well, i've just never been very serious about it. Anyways, I've got a cheap dual suspension bike and it was recommended to me that i change the headset. I want to know what this will do to help the bike, there doesnt seem to be any real problem with it, but im sure i must be missing something. Also feel free to pipe up about other things as well, cranksets, cassets, shifters...whatever, id like your input. Thanks for all the help.
    - Will

Who are the brain police?

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it..

If the headset doens't have issues, then leave it alone.

A high quality headset won't really improve the performance of the bike. A cheap way to improve the ride would be getting decent tires... fatter tires to take the edge off or skinny tires that make it feel quicker..(just an alternative suggestion for changing the characteristics of the ride).

If you want to put some $ into the bike then upgrading the shocks/fork will make a real difference in feel.

And if you do need to replace the headset make sure you get one w/ the same geometry or goto an LBS where you can check out different sizes before you commit.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Feb 2004
    the bike came with RockShox Judy TT fork and Shimano Alivio compnents.

Jan 2004

The drivetrain will most likely be the least of your problems

Cheap bikes almost always come with forks and shocks with zero rebound control...save the friction in them. The forks and swingarms are usually very flexy. If they have rear suspensions the suspensions are usually poorly tuned and the swingarms heavy. Couple that with heavy wheels and tires and you end up with a bike the bounces along, kicks back and doesn't like to hook up on the rough stuff. Real shocks will make a huge difference...as will upgrading the tires. However you will have to determine how much you want to put into the bike because you will never get it as good as a decent framed bike to begin with. Tell us the brand and model and we might recognize whether it is worth upgrading.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    . Tell us the brand and model and we might recognize whether it is worth upgrading.
    Its an '01 mongoose solution listed for $500, paid 250.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Ride it till it dies--its really not worth putting a lot of money into it. But its a good bike to start out on to see how you like the sport for sure.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

Jan 2004

Dear Mr. Blessed Turd...

the others are right about riding it till it dies, but a $500 full suspension bike is not going to ride anything like a $1000+ full suspension bike so please don't use how it rides to decide whether or not to keep riding.

Since you only paid $250 for it a decent headset will cost you about 1/10th the total cost of your bike. When you're ready you can research various brands and hopefully try some out to see what you like. You'll be amazed at the difference between a bike really designed for off road usage and your mongoose.

Jan 2004

Sounds like a post Pacific Mongoose...typical department store crap.

Here is a link to a couple reviews here.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_BMX...ct_75954.shtml

I don't see a pic, however it probably isn't too different than my first FS bike which was likewise a Mongoose. Total crap that one was. I quickly upgraded when I couldn't keep up with my friends on real trails. The suspension would never hook up and the front fork was flexy and would bottom continuously.

If money is an issue for you I'd suggest you look at some of the screaming deals on gently used bikes. Some people buy highly capable bikes and then put very low miles on them. You can often pick up bikes that originally cost $1,500 for $600-$800 bucks. Shop wisely and ask lots of questions.

Danny

Pro Crastinator

some clowns always think its about what you ride.......

..............Total crap that one was. I quickly upgraded when I couldn't keep up with my friends on real trails. The suspension would never hook up and the front fork was flexy and would bottom continuously.............................
    Danny
    to the original poster, as others have said, if there really seems to be no need to replace it, i wouldn't bother. maybe the person who suggested you change it was like this moron Disaster, and think it about what you ride not how you ride on it.......

to that moron Disaster... no need to try to bust on homeboys bike, he is looking for an answer to a headset question. not asking to be told to ditch his current ride.
    check this cat out, i know he would own you on any trail at any time. right here on his moongoose......
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 01-23-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Feb 2004
    HA, thats definitely the same frame as mine . Thanks for your help, everyone.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    to that moron Disaster... no need to try to bust on homeboys bike, he is looking for an answer to a headset question. not asking to be told to ditch his current ride.
    check this cat out, i know he would own you on any trail at any time. right here on his moongoose......
    Ok 'homeslice'... the only "moron" here is your friend dirtjumping on a Walmart Mongoose. I hope he has life insurance and a bottomless bank account to replace the parts when they fall off, strip out, break... when people do stuff like that on a Walmart bike its called "natural selection".

I don't think Disaster ever said to replace the bike... as I read it his intention was to say that he was in the same boat and it wasn't worth upgrading the bike. So just step back from the keyboard, take a deep breath....

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by seely
    Ok 'homeslice'... the only "moron" here is your friend dirtjumping on a Walmart Mongoose. I hope he has life insurance and a bottomless bank account to replace the parts when they fall off, strip out, break... when people do stuff like that on a Walmart bike its called "natural selection".

I don't think Disaster ever said to replace the bike... as I read it his intention was to say that he was in the same boat and it wasn't worth upgrading the bike. So just step back from the keyboard, take a deep breath....
    another douchebag that thiks it's all about the equipment.....
    now to that fvcking idiot seely, i know he would own you on any trail at any time. right there on his moongoose.....

beer *****es n' bikes

No good

another douchebag that thiks it's all about the equipment.....
    now to that fvcking idiot seely, i know he would own you on any trail at any time. right there on his moongoose.....
    Yes, you can say he will take me anytime anywhere all you want, and you will never get a chance to prove that right, and I will never get a chance to prove that wrong. I'm not going into how I ride xxx miles a week, or anything stupid like that. Its of no consequence what I ride, but lets just say its not really an expensive bike. I never, ever said its all about the bike . In fact, if you had read this thread you would see that. I was the one that posted "ride it till it dies".

Not to sound condescending, but when you are a bit older and a more experienced rider, you will understand that the bike does/can make a difference to a good rider. Mongoose's suspension is simply inefficient. Its a spring, and a couple of pivots. It works, but it bobs like crazy so you loose a lot of power.

I wonder if your friend saw the sticker on the downtube that says "not designed for offroad use " I work on those bikes constantly (Next, and Mongoose keep our shop in buisiness), sometimes 3-4 in a day, and they all have the same problems... stripped crank arms, broken bottom brackets, broken headsets, bent this, bent that, broken pivots, etc.

I am really disappointed you resorted to masked vulgarity... you will never get a job if you have an attitude like that in real life. I'm guessing you're pretty young, and I'm probably not a whole lot older, but seriously Hucker, just TAKE A DEEP BREATH... this is the internet... no wars are going to be settled on here. You are reading way to much into what people are saying on here and looking for fights where there aren't any. Calm down and ride brother.

Jan 2004

Seely did a nice job of explaining the situation.

Yes, you can say he will take me anytime anywhere all you want, and you will never get a chance to prove that right, and I will never get a chance to prove that wrong. I'm not going into how I ride xxx miles a week, or anything stupid like that. Its of no consequence what I ride, but lets just say its not really an expensive bike. I never, ever said its all about the bike . In fact, if you had read this thread you would see that. I was the one that posted "ride it till it dies".

Not to sound condescending, but when you are a bit older and a more experienced rider, you will understand that the bike does/can make a difference to a good rider. Mongoose's suspension is simply inefficient. Its a spring, and a couple of pivots. It works, but it bobs like crazy so you loose a lot of power.

I wonder if your friend saw the sticker on the downtube that says "not designed for offroad use " I work on those bikes constantly (Next, and Mongoose keep our shop in buisiness), sometimes 3-4 in a day, and they all have the same problems... stripped crank arms, broken bottom brackets, broken headsets, bent this, bent that, broken pivots, etc.

I am really disappointed you resorted to masked vulgarity... you will never get a job if you have an attitude like that in real life. I'm guessing you're pretty young, and I'm probably not a whole lot older, but seriously Hucker, just TAKE A DEEP BREATH... this is the internet... no wars are going to be settled on here. You are reading way to much into what people are saying on here and looking for fights where there aren't any. Calm down and ride brother.
    As Seely, said, my intention was not for you to throw the bike away. I'm just saying it isn't advisable to try upgrading it. You will be throwing your money away for little benefit. A better way to go is to put every dollar toward an upgrade in a little pot until there is enough money for a new bike. You will be much better off that way.

For the ignorant poster, I'll fill in a little background regarding chainstore Mongooses.

Mongoose was, and is actually, a real bike company. They have a great rep for making huckable tough bikes. Due to the tight economy, and people's lack of appreciation for bike quality, many companies, like Mongoose got in financial difficulties. Pacific, a huge bicycle company that supplies crappy bikes to department stores began buying up companies like Mongoose. They left a small operation to continue to make quality bikes but stole the name...and the design...and had a cheap version manufactured in China. On first glance it might not seem like a bad way to make good bikes affordable. Build them with cheap Chinese labor. However, when you understand how it was done you will quickly see the problem. First, they'd just ship a bike to the Chinese suppliers and say make it look like this. The Chinese would slap together something that looked similar, but which was made from inferior materials and componetry and Pacific would sticker the Mongoose label on it and sell it at Walmart and Sports Authority as a $500 dollar bike that was being discounted to $250.

Now on to those inferior materials. Lets start with good old aluminum. The uninformed might think that aluminum is aluminum. Couldn't be further from the truth. Depending on the alloy a piece of aluminum can be three times stronger than another....and that doesn't even address forming issues, material flow and heat treating. If you could take a cross section of a Giant bicycle frame you'd be shocked how thin the material is. This is because it is very high strength. Moreso the material isn't a constant thickness. It is thicker, and often double butted in areas where it is joined to other sections. Now take a look at a department store aluminum bike. The material is 5 times thicker, yet not as strong. This gives you a heavy awkward bike.

Moving on to the suspension....you have more problems. First, the original design had specific, calculated pivot points, and depended on the geometry, weight, spring rate and damping of shock to work properly. When pivot points aren't in the right spot, the shock has almost no damping but lots of stiction and the parts are too heavy you end up with a totally unresponsive suspension. It will skip over rocks instead of hooking up. It will bottom out. It will flex like crazy and this makes tracking around corners tougher.

Wheels, tires. Real rims, on real bikes have rivots around the spoke holes and again are made with high strength aluminum. The rivots are there to lower the stress and increase the durability. Wheelsets on good bikes will usually cost more than the entire department store bike. It costs money to build lightweight, high strength components. Heavy wheels are a further drag on the suspension and make a huge difference in the capability of the bike to accelerate and decelerate. A cheap wheelset can double the amount of work required to get up hill.

I could go on and on about the components but those are the most critical shortcomings and ones that can't be fixed by swapping out a headset or deraileur.

In conclusion, enjoy the bike. Ride it till it breaks or you can't keep up and then go out and buy yourself a real bike. There are lots of great folks here who can steer you to some very good deals. You can get a fairly capable hardtail for $300-$400 bucks and likewise, a decent FS bike for $600-$700. These won't be the latest greatest but they will be lightyears ahead of what you are riding now. The trick is to by last years models on closeout or find a gently used bike with low miles.

Good luck and enjoy the trails.

Pro Crastinator
    .........................................if you had read this thread you would see that. I was the one that posted "ride it till it dies"..............................
    major difference between "ride it till it dies" and disaster's response of "Total crap that one was"

Jan 2004

I stand by my "Total crap that one was" comment.

major difference between "ride it till it dies" and disaster's response of "Total crap that one was"
    That comment was referring to MY first Pacific/Mongoose. I think I paid $280 for it from Costco. I knew it had to go when I took it on a real trail with a buddy. I ended up walking it up hills when the rear wheel wouldn't get any traction. 2 times during the ride the chain bounced off. Downhills were a scarefest as the shock completely bottomed out and the front end flexed. The worst was hearing him tell me that I would get better with more practice...like he was in better shape than me. Pissed me off enough to have me buying a real bike the next week. I was still slower than him downhills, but I would be right on his ass up the next one...*****ing at him to get out of my way.

When you finally have the money to buy a real mountain bike you will realize how good a bike can be. The difference is HUGE.

Pro Crastinator

When you finally have the money to buy a real mountain bike you will realize how good a bike can be. The difference is HUGE.
    hehehehe. when i geta real bike.............
    don't worry about me holmes, i've got it covered.........

Pro Crastinator
    hehehehe. when i geta real bike.............
    don't worry about me holmes, i've got it covered.........
    like i said, don't worry about me holmes, i got it covered.......

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003

... and if we just ... Yes, Finally I can post this pic!

Thank you.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jan 2004

Hoping this kind of unnecessary...

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Thank you.....
    posting was over with, but I guess the rednecks will never really be gone. I take it you don't like people who are retarded. Well most have no choice and using them as an example of what is wrong with someone else is just wrong. Maybe you could try posting a picture of yourself with the title " this is what stupid and completely insensative looks like"

If you wouldn't go up to a mentally and/or physically retarded person(and who they're likely with) and act the same way as your post then you shouldn't do it here. Grow up.

Jan 2003

That was uncalled for!

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Thank you.....

I've seen that particular pic used on other forums before... I had hoped to never see it here. While I agree with the message you are sending, your choice of delivery is pathetic.

Try a different annalogy: "Arguing with a moron is a waste of time... he will bring you down to his level, and beat you with experience".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erok
    I've seen that particular pic used on other forums before... I had hoped to never see it here. While I agree with the message you are sending, your choice of delivery is pathetic.
    Ditto. Having grown up with a sister with Down's syndrome and having to put up with all sorts of ignorant responses to her condition, I don't have much patience for this kind of weak attempt at 'humor'.
    A man is only a man, but a good bicycle is a ride.

Jan 2004
    i just want to say thank you to the people that responded to the original question before the discution got off track i just bought my first bike i was looking at mongoose full suspentions but decided to go with a giant yukon (hardtail) instead what i have read here has made me feal better about spending the extra mony

Jan 2004

Ignorance is bliss.

Then again, you must be somewhat ignorant to think that is funny.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shwafish
    i just bought my first bike i was looking at mongoose full suspentions but decided to go with a giant yukon (hardtail) instead what i have read here has made me feal better about spending the extra mony
    Congrats! You got a great value for the money.
    A man is only a man, but a good bicycle is a ride.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003

Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by bhutata
    Congrats! You got a great value for the money.
    Just wanted to say sorry for all those that I offended. I deleted the pic from my harddrive so don't worry about seeing it again from me.
    BTW, great bike you chose, I was riding a yukon till recently when I upgraded.

T.Dot Represent

whos dissing up west coast...

hes got mad skillz...start dissing him up when you can jump that on your bike buddy...like someone smart said walk before you can run.
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    west coast i swear i saw those in mountain bike action website i think u stole those pistures?

Apr 2005

Pissing Contest

Holy **** we got westcoasthucka the play hata poser in the blue corner and seely and disaster in the red. This isnt a pissing contest I though the original question was to help someone with a question about upgrading there mongoose. I think you all forgot it was his bike and his money all he needed was advice and of the dozen or so odd post i think only 2 or 3 covered that. From what ive heard its a good bike im looking at getting my 1st one and thats one of the ones i was looking at if you could let me no your size and how it rides on my thread Another N00b Question that would be great.
    Enjoy

Members who have read this thread: 0