mtbr member

Smile Help newbie find used HT MTB for $500 range

Greetings,

This is my first post & I need your recommendations for a good used hardtail mountain bike for around $500.
    After checking out my local bike shop and seeing the high prices for new bikes made in China and even higher prices on everything made in the USA it seemed I would do better going used.
    What bike would you recommend for someone getting back into the game after a few years off? I had a Gary Fisher but sold it two years ago because of lack of use after having my first child. But now want to get back in the saddle again. I have seen a couple Specialized M4 Stumpjumpers in my price range but am unsure what years they were made in the USA. What other older bikes were made in the US and what would you recommend? I need a 20 to 22(L to XL) frame size and will be using the bike for mountain biking as well as more relaxing riding with my wife & kid.

Thanks,
    John

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You can get the ibex alpine 550, its 569 new plus shipping so it'll put you SLIGHTLY over 600. From what i've read, it's a great deal considering the components on it. The only thing is that you won't get to try it on before you buy it.
    Here's a link.
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-550-Details.html

Good Luck! And welcome!!!

808+909 = Party Good Time
    http://www.jensonusa.com/

They sell off excess old models dirt cheap... so you could a newie for a good price...

mtbr member
    You probably not going like my answer... Forget brands per say unless there are some that are uncomfortable to you; get the bike with the best components in the best shape you can afford that fits you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Check out the Giant hardtails. The Rincon is under $400 with disc brakes front and back and goot components. Good Luck.

Shitdog

Rod
    mtbr member
    Ask the owner/workers or just people that hang around the local bike shop if they know of anyone or if the shop is selling used or rental bikes. I got my wife's rincon for 225 and it's barely been ridden but that's b/c it's 16 inch frame. I got my current bike that retailed for 1,500 for 600 used at my local bike shop. My shop is tiny so I would think other shops or people in your area should have used bikes. There are many good deals that you can find on used bikes. There's currently a used Gary Fisher sugar (full suspension) w/ everything on the bike upgraded for 600 dollars sitting at my local bike shop. Ask around and put the word out that you're looking for a used bike. Someone may agree to sell you a bike that they no longer ride. Check craiglist as well.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies.

Rod,
    Yours sounds like the path I should take. I'll check out my LBS today to see about anyone there trying to sell something so they can upgrade. When I was there last week they did have some 07's but they were all too small

I'm also looking at used bikes in my $500 range. I just missed out on a sweet 98' Schwinn Homegrown but that means good deals are around...any other recommendations on nice Made in USA bikes from the past??

Members who have read this thread: 0