HELP! mountain bike for commuting/pavement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

HELP! mountain bike for commuting/pavement

Hi all,
    Looking for some help on buying a new bike. Brand new to bikes and been reading the site like crazy for the last few days and gained lots of great info.
    here's my deal: looking for a mountain bike that will be used 95% on road (commuting). maybe a light trail here and there. I don't want a hybrid b/c I don't like how the look even though that may be better suited for me. Perhaps I can switch out the tires.
    So, b/c this bike will not be abused much at all, do I need to worry about things like getting disc brakes, 7 or 8 cassette (I've read 7 is garbage), quality of the forks (should I look for 1 with lockout), quality of frame (I'm thinking get better components and sacrifice a little on the frame as any decent frame should be fine for my kind of riding?),
    budget is $300-500. Don't really want to have to replace a bunch of parts in 1-2 years.
    Most imp't factors are reliability and some comfort, not speed, performance or weight.
    Some bikes that seem to be suggested here are the specialized HR, giant revel 1 or 2, GT avalanche, jamis durango, windosr 4900, etc.
    I know I'm over thinking this but this is where I'm at. Would love some feedback from you guys and what I should be looking (out) for and maybe a specific bike you might receommend.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    trek bodega, giant roam...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'd vote for whichever brand your LBS carries.

mtbr member
    I'd vote for a single-speed rigid. I have a 2008 or so GT Peace. You don't need no stinkin' (cheap) suspension fork, and you don't need no stinkin' gears! Seriously that's what I ride around town here in Colo Springs, CO... there's very little I cannot make it up with my single-speed. The simplicity of it is awesome, never have to worry about tweaked derailleur etc.

mtbr member
    I'd recommend a used ride. Even if you have a safe place to put it at work, you might stop for something on the way.
    Disc brakes aren't needed althou they do work better when wet. If comfort is your thing than a susp fork would be good but a rigid fork will be more pedalling efficient so ya, maybe 1 with lock out. Guess it depends on local weather and roads.
    If it were me, I'd buy a used road bike, maybe a cross and ride the roads to work. If after you ride some, get in better shape whatever you wanna ride trails, get a trail bike.
    If a road bike's not your thing, I'd at least get a second pair of similar rims for mtb for different tires for trails instead of hybrid tires or changing tires every time.
    My .02
    Welcome to the site
    Last edited by theMeat; 08-20-2011 at 09:36 AM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    thanks for the feedback.
    gonna head to the LBS today and try to test ride some bikes. I've found some hybrids that look cool to me, like the giant seek or trek 7.2 FX.
    Also, will try to test ride a single speed, that sounds like a good option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Bikes like the Kona Dew series.

They are real bikes, look like nice bikes ( not sit up and beg like a lot of the hybrids) and can handle light trail use easily.

mtbr member
    I agree with the used/single speed/cross bike ideas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you're going to use it for mainly commuting I'd go with a bike with a rigid fork and single speed unless you're one of those guys who goes out for some mountain biking in the weekend then I'd go for a dual sport mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For the budget I'd steer clear of suspension.