Help me decide between these 2 bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Help me decide between these 2 bikes

2018 Scott Scale 940 VS. Orbea Alma H20

Use for XC, climbing, and a few XC races per year. Anybody have experience with either one? I'm really torn between the 2 and am leaning towards the Alma just for the amazing look of the bike. Both are spec'd fairly well with XT or SLX. I don't know much about the wheel set on either because they are proprietary (Scott - Syncros, Orbea - Traxxis) The Alma is 1x (11-46 on 32T) and the Scale is 2x.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Wow. No love here. Did I do something wrong? Or is it just that nobody rides a Scott Scale or Orbea Alma?

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    Wow. No love here. Did I do something wrong? Or is it just that nobody rides a Scott Scale or Orbea Alma?
    It's hard to make recommendations for these bikes. You should probably ask the question in the XC forum. Have you ridden either bike at a demo day?
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Well, I live in Ecuador, but I'm from the states. I'm a Christian missionary. So, no way to demo bikes here...that just doesn't happen. I've only ridden a similar Scott Scale, but just around the store. I like the feel of it, but have never ridden an Orbea. Thanks for the suggestion to post in the XC forum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    Well, I live in Ecuador, but I'm from the states. I'm a Christian missionary. So, no way to demo bikes here...that just doesn't happen. I've only ridden a similar Scott Scale, but just around the store. I like the feel of it, but have never ridden an Orbea. Thanks for the suggestion to post in the XC forum.
    First thing to do would be to link the bikes so we don't have to go looking all over.

I have a strong preference for single rings. Unless you have crazy long climbs, intend to do very long endurance, or need a lot of road gearing, single ring is better in my book.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I knew I did something wrong here!!! Thanks for the tip. Here are the links to the both bikes I am considering:

2018 Scott Scale 940
    https://www.evanscycles.com/scott-sc...-bike-EV313803

2018 Orbea Alma H20
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Orbea-Alma...0-18-Bike-2018

The plus of the Orbea is that it is a 1x (11-46 on 32t) which would be plenty sufficient for me. But it has the RS Reba which I am learning needs the RCT3 upgrade right from the start.

The plus of the Scott is that it has a Fox32 Rhythm which seems like a solid fork which would not need any upgrades.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Yup, what Tifinator said, really does help people be helpful

I tend to agree with you on the looks, definitely prefer the Orbea over the Scott. Spec wise, the Orbea is lower spec in some areas, but no where were I'd be really concerned with and it's a good bit cheaper than the Scott going by the links you provided. If it were me I'd go for the Orebea and just upgrade stuff as you wear it out or break it. Only difference which I don't think you'd notice is the chainstay length is 1cm longer on the Orbea, but that does help when climbing I find, nothing drastic or out of the ordinary.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a 2016 Scott Scale 930 and a lot of people are probably going to rag on the 2X system for better or worse but only you can decide whether you need/want it. I personally use my bike for a lot of road and gravel so the 2X system I prefer. My bike is carbon but the 2018 Scale 940 is about 26lbs stock so that's pretty good IMO if weight matters to you. I think the Scale's SLX brakes are simply better and going with something bellow Deore you probably will switch out anyways. Also the Fox 32 Float Rhythm Grip 3 or any Fox fork in general I prefer better since they can be slammed harder with less adjustment, plus it comes with a remote lock.

Both are fine bikes but if I had to pick I would go with the Scott Scale

Also I am not sure of your size or location but I think price is somewhat mute since the $1800 was MSRP and Evans Cycles shows this being out of stock, but quickly researching a 2018 940 you can get one shipped for $1500, so yeah more than $1250 on Jenson but that is easily made up with the better fork and brakes

Seller is Piermont Bike which is actually located in NY by me and is a Scott dealer but ships from CT. The have Medium, Large, and X-Large left. They will take best offer and it has $100 shipping. I almost bought a bike from them and I think you can probably shave off $50-$100 with a best offer, making the bike really $1400-$1450 shipped.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-SCOTT-...ymXV:rk:1:pf:1

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yeah, that's the Scott Scale 940 I am considering on Ebay. I can probably get it for $1200 plus shipping which is about the same price of the Orbea. Weight wise, which is important since I do a lot of climbing in the Andes, is about the same on each bike, about 26lbs. Scale seems to have better specs and I don't mind a 2x as I do a lot of road riding as well. I just love the look of the Orbea. I was kind of sold on the Orbea until I mentioned it here in the forum and was told that the Rock Shox Reba would need an immediate compression damper upgrade for an additional $120. Anyone have any thought on this as to how necessary it is. I ride mostly flowy XC, nothing intense, lots of climbing volcano roads. I weigh 165 lbs.

mtbr member
    I prefer 2x for my riding. And that's all it is, a preference. Advantages are better chainline, cheaper cassettes, quieter operation, and less wear. Some of the touted advantages of 1x are overrated, imo. The biggest are better mounting options for a dropper and they're lighter/simpler. Both bikes are nice, but I also prefer the look of the Orbea.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    I ride an orbea occam tr h20, fox suspension. . I havenít had any problems (on Orbeaís end) but I am very close with the lbs that I got it from and I know that orbea is always helpful to them regarding warranty work or anything of the sorts. I also have a trek/fisher xcal with a Rockshox Reba fork (2011). My orbea is a 2017. Iíve ridden the orbea for 1.5 years and just sent the fork and shock in to have remotes installed for the upcoming xc season, only to find out my fox fork is pretty much toast and will need a full rebuild and new uppers at the tune of $450. So while I wait to get my suspension back from fox, Iíve been riding my 8 year old hardtail with Rockshox Reba fork, which has never been serviced and is more responsive then my fox fork ever was. I would have no problem buying a bike with rockshox suspension, and highly considered buying a new RockShox SID to replace my fox fork but it was a bit more money then the repair.

I donít think you could go wrong with either but just wanted to share my experience. On the flip side, I greatly prefer Shimano over sram, that would be a bigger deciding factor for me then the fork, especially on a xc bike that will be doing more pedaling then taking big hits, Iíd be more concerned about suspension on an enduro bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for sharing. It seems that a lot just comes down to preference. Some prefer the 1x and some the 2x. Some Sram and some Shimano. Some fox and some Rockshox. So, I'm still weighing things up myself. The Orbea Alma H20 just went lower in price again on Jenson. $1199. Pretty tempting. The H10 is $1299. The only real difference is the H10 is spec'd completely with Sram GX Eagle. The H20 is a mix of Shimano XT and SLX.

mtbr member
    I have an older Scott Scale and my buddy has a newer Orbea. If I were to pick, the Orbea would get my vote. It seems to have a little better frame geometry and the 1x is smooth as glass.

The scale is all but bullet proof though. You can't imaging the crashes that mine has gone though with nothing but scratches. Last weekend it flew riderless at least 10 feet end over end without at hitch, haha.
    '18 Scott Spark 730, 27.5+
    '10 Scott Scale 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mrclortho View Post
    I have an older Scott Scale and my buddy has a newer Orbea. If I were to pick, the Orbea would get my vote. It seems to have a little better frame geometry and the 1x is smooth as glass.

The scale is all but bullet proof though. You can't imaging the crashes that mine has gone though with nothing but scratches. Last weekend it flew riderless at least 10 feet end over end without at hitch, haha.
    Well, durability is certainly something to consider. What model scale and Orbea are you talking about?

I also do a lot of road riding on the mountain bike, so I want to make sure that I have enough gears. Both versions of the Alma I think would be sufficient. The H20 is a 1X on an 11-46 Sunrace, so I think it would be sufficient. Granted, there are some serious steep climbs in in the Andes, but I think it would be sufficient. The H10 is obviously enough with the GX Eagle 10-50, and of course the Scale 2x is more than enough.

I think the geometry is about the same on both...about 69 Head Angle. Weight about the same at 26lbs. Scale spec'd with mostly all XT and Alma H10 spec'd with all GX Eagle. So, there are not too many differences that I see between the two, except the looks, which I definitely love the look of the Orbea. Especially the fact that here in Ecuador I see Scotts all over the place, so it'd be kind of cool to show up with something not too common.

I keep going back and forth. Ugh!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Well, I finally pulled the trigger and bought the 2018 Orbea Alma H20. I was going to get the H10 but someone grabbed the last one, so I went with the H20. Iím super pumped. Now I just have to wait 2 months until Iím back in the states to pick it up. I snagged a ridiculous awesome deal. Big time sale originally $1800 marked down to $1200. Then since Jenson messed up the order and it took a while on the phone to resolve it, they took an additional $120 off the price. $1150 delivered to my door. Canít beat that. The only upgrade that I will do immediately is get the Reba upgraded to the RCT 3 compression damper so that the fork is buttery smooth. Then Iíll upgrade the wheels around Christmas when I can get some more cash together. There is only 1 left on Jenson. Who wants it?

https://www.jensonusa.com/Orbea-Alma...0-18-Bike-2018

mtbr member
    Congrats! And enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    After Nashbar's demise Jenson has been my go to store

good luck with the bike

mtbr member
    My Occam AM has been unbelievable. I can't even imagine how well the Alma climbs.

Their whole lineup is totally dialed in. They're a steal for the price being asked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    My Occam AM has been unbelievable. I can't even imagine how well the Alma climbs.

Their whole lineup is totally dialed in. They're a steal for the price being asked.
    Yeah, I was shocked to see how low the 2018 Almaís were on Jenson. They are definitely offering the lowest prices on these bikes compared to anyone else.

The only negative that I have read about the Alma is the wheelset is rather heavy. (About 2500 grams) So, Christmas time will probably involve a wheel upgrade. Everything else on the bike looks rock solid.

Itís funny. Orbea is not that common in the states, but in Europe they are the rave. The only serious reviews I came across are all from Spain and I learned a lot about the Alma from those reviews, but if you donít speak Spanish there are not many forums geared towards the Orbea.