mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Help me choose...Scott Scale 50, Kona Cinder Cone or GF Tassajara?

Well, those are the top 3 on my list anyway.

I've ridden all 3 (plus a bunch more...Specialized, Trek, Giant, Cannondale) and really like the Scott Scale 50 the best. But it's $950 and a 2007.
    The GF Tassajara is $820 and a 2008. Kona is a 2008 and 800$.

What would you choose? I'm 5'8", 190ish and just getting into mountain bike riding, so don't expect to be on a lot of huge hills or downhill stuff. Do want to be able to ride in the dirt, though.

Am out in Denver, CO currently.

Are these 3 bikes too much for a beginner? Maybe I should be looking at something like a Giant XTC2 or a 2007 Tassajara (no disk brakes, less components than 08) for 550$?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I bought the GF Tass just a couple of weeks ago. I am a noob, or returning after a 10 yr break and I have really enjoyed my Tass. I knew that I wanted an entry level bike and when I asked on other forums everyone seemed to agree this bike was great for getting to know the sport. I got my bike for $750 because I was considering a GF pirhana but did not really like the color options so the LBS split the difference and i got about $100 off the Tass. Try bargaining with your LBS. I dont have a lot of biking experience but I will say the GF Tass works great for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks Revivalll.

I had really only been trying to get the price down on the Scott, but maybe I'll see if they'll give me a little bit better deal on the Tassajara, too.
    The Scott is really my favorite, just seems so...smooth, but I do like the Tass. Then again, the Kona seems like it could take a real beating and had killer brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Without any experience with any of those bikes, I can only say that the Scott is most likely the best deal, since it's a 2007 and the dealer has probably knocked something off to sell it. From the Scott website, the Scale 50 certainly looks better spec'd than the other two (though I can't tell whether it's the 07 or 08 spec).

Definitely go with disc brakes, it's expensive if you later want to upgrade rim brakes to disc.

I'm in Denver myself. The front range has so many good trails it's kinda ridiculous. =)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Maybe I'll hit you up for some good beginner trails lyndon.
    Thanks for the help.

LRB
    mtbr member
    My sister just bought a cinder cone and she really likes it. .Ii have ridden it a few times and its a great beginer bike and your right the brakes are real nice for that model of bike. I would definity recomend get the one that is most comfortable for you to ride and if the seat doesnt feel right ask them to switch it out for one that is. Just a side not to the smooth feeling your talking about could be as simple as tires and or tire pressure.\
    LRB

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have road a Tass and a pirahna and I really like both. I have also rode trek 6000, 6500 and they feel good too.

If it were me I'd go with the Tass, but that is just because I love their warranties on their bikes, love the feel of the geometry, and the closest kona dealer is 45 miles away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thanks for the opinions.
    LRB, that kona is pretty cool. that was my first time riding one, i should probably go back and try it again before i make a firm decision.
    the scott is light - 28lbs. the kona is 30 and the giant is 33. not sure about the tass. so maybe it's just the lightness that i feel? seems like 2lbs wouldn't make that much of a difference.

dr, i like the geometry of the Tass a lot, too. riding the specialized, i felt like i was too far forward and had to go back and ride the Fisher to see if i was just imagining things.

mtbr member
    I love my Scale 50. Mine will be an SS by the end of the week! It is the nicest hardtail in that price range that I rode. I don't think you will regret going with the Scott. I got the 07 too. The only thing changed from 07 to 08 are Juicy 3.0 to 3.5. The geometry on the Scale series is the exact same as their full carbon fiber race HT. There are a couple of Scales down into the 23 lb range on the Scott forum. The wheels and tires are the heavy part of the factory set up.

I thought the same thing about the Scale when I first rode it. It is super smooth. Like butta!

I compared it to riding a Honda sport bike then hopping onto a Ducati.
    Don't talk back to Darth Vader or he'll getcha!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ended up with the Scale 50.
    Pretty stoked, except I forgot to make sure the LBS fixed a stuck/stiff chain link. I had been test riding it like that I assume, so may take it out tomorrow anyway...
    Thanks for the help/suggestions.

Members who have read this thread: 0