Help me choose a new drivetrain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Help me choose a new drivetrain

I ride a 26" '12 Specialized Hardrock Disc and I love it. I've got the upgrade itch and already replaced the stock brakes with BB7s, got Easton EC70 carbon bars paired with and Easton EA50 stem on a killer sale from JensonUSA

Anyways, my birthday is coming up and the wife said that she'll get me some stuff for the bike. So I decided that I may want a new drivetrain for the bike.

-I want go with something that is compatible with SRAM shifters (preference), lightweight, and is not too terribly expensive (much better than what I have right now, but not extremely top of the line).

What do you suggest?

PS-No, I am not going to sell my bike to buy another bike that has only marginally better components.

B.Ike
    What do you no like about your current drive train? Are you going to replace crankset cassette and derealuers? I usually like to break things before I replace stuff that works.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by elwoodturner View Post
    What do you no like about your current drive train? Are you going to replace crankset cassette and derealuers? I usually like to break things before I replace stuff that works.
    It doesn't shift as smooth as I'd like it. Looking for lighter weight. I really don't want to replace stuff as it breaks because that just leaves me time without riding. I've always liked tinkering with my cars to get the most out of it even if the OE parts are still good. I'm taking the same approach with my bike.

I'm looking to replace the crankset, cassette and derealuers. I just want to know what to look for in choosing the components.

JRA
    Looks like your bike came spec'd with an X4 8 speed drivetrain. If you want to upgrade, you will move to a 9 ro 10 speed drive train. You can upgrade in SRAM to an X5, X7, X9 or X0. XX is top of the line. Which one? Buy the groupset that is with in your budget. If you move to the 9 or 10 speed, you'll have to upgrade everything, maybe with the exception of the FD.

New RD, cassette, chain, crankset and shifters.

Pricepoint has an X9 9-speed drivetrain kit for $350. That seems like a really good deal.
    SRAM X-9 Drive Train Kit 2011 at Price Point
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

Members who have read this thread: 0