Help - Headset Bearing Fix- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Help - Headset Bearing Fix

Alright I have been getting the slightest creek in my Cane Creek headset when I turn my handlebars from left to right. I briefly checked over everything and this seems like a fix. So I pulled apart everything:

Top: Cap, Centerer, Dust Ring, Sealed Bearing
    Bottom: Dust Ring and Sealed Bearing

So I would like to clean up everything before I regrease. I picked up some Finish Line bike specific grease however I am unsure what I should use as a degreaser - is brake cleaner fine? Also, for these bearings - I am under the understanding that I can pop off the dust caps on the bearings and degrease and repack. How exactly is this done? Is there anything specific I should do while doing this to make sure this goes back together correctly?

Thanks,

Blake

mtbr member
    May 2007
    brake cleaner works fine.

you should be able to find instructions on cane creeks site for this purpose.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Whoa there, ixnay on the brake cleaner, that stuff may pull the finish off. You took the time to buy bike specific grease (how its different from other grease is a mystery to me) but why not buy bike specific degreaser too. Again how this is different from other degreaser is a mystery, but CC instructions are the way to go for servicing. As far as how to reasemble I will usually stack things the way they come off. You creak is most likly coming from under the crown race, which I will bet you dont have the tool to take off. Good luck.
    P.S. I do know the difference between grease, bike specific is not part of the classifications.
    You Can't Triple Stamp A Double Stamp!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    fwiw, i've never seen brake cleaner strip any type of finish from anything. i've used it to clean and degrease not just bike parts, but MANY parts in my 27 years - practicaly grew up in a car dealership - its good for wasp killer in a pinch too (which, sprayed on a stained cedar surface and had no effect on the finish)
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Maybe I was thinking of Carb cleaner. Carb cleaner will take off finishes, but I still dont think its a good idea to use brake cleaner, but if you say its ok then have at it.
    You Can't Triple Stamp A Double Stamp!

I like bacon... (clyde)
    DOT brake fluid is what eats the finish/paint. Honest mistake.

Brake cleaner feels great on the hands.
    Bike: '08 Trek 6500
    Color: Oreo
    Delicious...

Members who have read this thread: 0