Help With Fitting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Help With Fitting

Other than feel...Can someone please give me some info on proper "rule of thumb" positions for a good fit (peddle reach,arm reach,body angles etc.) on a XC bike? Just looking for a starting point to see what "right" feels like...then I can adjust to my preference.
    Thanks

Oct 2007
    Go to your bike store and throw your leg over various sizes. you will feel the right size. it's whats most comfortable for you.

your bike store will be able to quickly steer you in the right direction very quickly.

and unless your riding in a velodrome on a custom made bike. fitting is not really an exact science. changing seat position and stem length position and bar heights.. and crank arm lengths. well only a person in person can really get you started. and on the right bike

Happy Riding

mtbr member
    Ya you kind of need to get on the bikes and ride. They can be different for the different between companies depending on their geometry. ie. I am 5'11" (just under like 5' 10 7/8") I have a 19" rocky mountain and a 17.5" Gary Fisher and both fit me fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazman
    Other than feel...Can someone please give me some info on proper "rule of thumb" positions for a good fit (peddle reach,arm reach,body angles etc.) on a XC bike? Just looking for a starting point to see what "right" feels like...then I can adjust to my preference.
    Thanks
    A person's body temperature should be pretty close to 98.6F. You can go a little above and below but 98.6F is NORMAL. There really is no NORMAL for bike fitting as it relates to a specific height, inseam etc.

We are all built different, some with longer arms, some with longer legs, etc. So the others are right when they tell you that you need to ride to find out. An improperly sized bike CAN still feel good to you, but if you get within the right range of frame sizes, (with LBS help) you will be going by preferance after that.

There are tons of fit programs, calculations etc. for road bikes especially but what you will learn is your preferance for a certain frame and/or size of frame will develop after hundreds of hours of riding a particular bike. IOW, you may determine over time that you wish you had a longer top tube for example.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks...I am fairly new to the MTB scene. This is my second season...I rode about 50 times last year (10 mi loop) on our local trail. I have been hunting for a new bike all winter and recently bought a Specialized SJ fsr Elite. I shopped quite a few shops and bikes...I chose the SJ because it simply felt the best to ride within my price range (sub $2000). I was "fitted" as far as frame size goes (L) and like my choice very much. I chose not to do a "full" fitting which cost $150-$200, and instead ride and make adjustments as I see fit. So...I am really asking about: saddle position,stem height,peddle reach and basic "geometric norms" (foot to knee to hips to shoulders etc).

Members who have read this thread: 0